↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > TD5 front exhaust section
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
lightning

United Kingdom 
TD5 front exhaust section
Does anybody know if l can get a CAT replacement pipe for my 2005 TD5, but with a silencer fitted instead.
Or a more free flowing CAT (l heard there's a "Sport CAT" with less restriction, it may be just a silencer)?

Only l fitted a straight through pipe but there's a droning/resonance at 65-70mph, so had to refit the original CAT. But it's reduced the performance/pickup at low RPM.

I posted this on another forum and somebody suggested "a decat front pipe with a silencer"
But when l asked where l might buy such a thing, there was no reply.
An internet search revealed plenty of straight through pipes but nothing with a silencer or less restrictive CAT replacement etc.
Post #542271 22nd Jun 2016 8:20am
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
Do what I did, cut the can open on the cat, take out the insides and weld it back up. You get left with an original factory fitted exterior but without the restriction.
The can itself is just hollow, no baffle set up just the opening in and the exit, I did think about putting in a joining pipe but in your case the booming would remain, by just removing the ceramics the box bit takes out the booming but it increases the sound of the turbo according to boy JWL, I can't tell as it's the same pitch as my tinitus Rolling Eyes
Either do it yourself or get someone proficient in welding to do it at a fraction of the cost of trying to find one on the shelf.
Post #542293 22nd Jun 2016 9:12am
Bps

United Kingdom 
Try alive tuning. I had a stainless sports system from them on my disco td5 and Gary was very knowledgable about the exhaust and how it was designed. He designed it so it was more free flowing, sounded a lot better out the back but didn't boom or resonate in the cab. It was very well made. I'm sure they must do something similar for a defender
Post #542381 22nd Jun 2016 1:15pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1