↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > Here come the mods....!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 9 of 18 <123 ... 8910 ... 161718>
Print this entire topic · 
Butchers Boy

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
Stacey007 Stage 2 remap was just an increased BHP remap CSK do a stage one remap which is an economy remap or a stage 2 which is the Alive remap! Worth doing it together with the suspension upgrade to get the best out of it, it just feels so much more planted in the bends.... Thumbs Up

Ps. I see your thread re your drone Is that your property in the picture... looks great what a fantastic location Thumbs Up Mr. Green 2010 Defender 90 HT

The longer I live..... The better I was!
Post #527626 28th Apr 2016 8:49pm
Ryderoo

England 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Santorini Black
Just tuned in. Thumbs Up

Your 90 looks a treat Butchers Boy.

Glad your happy with the remap and suspension.

I keep thinking about the comfort set up, but think I would miss the road holding performance I have now. Cheers Simon

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you

1990 110 TD5 county, my first Land Rover - gone
2012 Discovery 4 XS SDV6 - gone
2014 Discovery 4 XS SDV6 - gone
2015 Evoque SD4 dynamic - Wife’s - gone
2015 Urban Truck 90 XS Santorini Black Hard Top - Reluctantly gone
2020 Discovery 5 Eiger Grey 3.0 SE - gone March 24
2021 Defender S D250 Santorini Black 110 HT - gone March 24
2023 Evoque P300e SE wife’s current vehicle
Post #527641 28th Apr 2016 9:40pm
Butchers Boy

Ryderoo: I find the road holding much better with my new setup its slightly lower much with less body roll, much better corning/handling and a lot more comfortable ride Thumbs Up
What setup are you currently running on yours? 2010 Defender 90 HT

Post #527656 28th Apr 2016 10:37pm
Ryderoo

England 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Santorini Black
I am running Bilstein 2" lower with Sports ARB's.

It literally is running on tracks, has impressive cornering speeds.
I am happy with this set up, but wander if the comfort setting would compromise the handling.

Obviously, I can actually read the manufacturer of the man hole cover through the steering wheel Rolling with laughter Cheers Simon

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you

1990 110 TD5 county, my first Land Rover - gone
2012 Discovery 4 XS SDV6 - gone
2014 Discovery 4 XS SDV6 - gone
2015 Evoque SD4 dynamic - Wife’s - gone
2015 Urban Truck 90 XS Santorini Black Hard Top - Reluctantly gone
2020 Discovery 5 Eiger Grey 3.0 SE - gone March 24
2021 Defender S D250 Santorini Black 110 HT - gone March 24
2023 Evoque P300e SE wife’s current vehicle
Post #527679 29th Apr 2016 5:36am
Butchers Boy

^^Obviously, I can actually read the manufacturer of the man hole cover through the steering wheel ^^ Rolling with laughter Bow down 2010 Defender 90 HT

Post #527925 29th Apr 2016 9:57pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Any more mods in the pipeline Laurence? 2016 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB Petrol
Post #530767 11th May 2016 9:26pm
Butchers Boy

Well Funny you should ask that Adam Thumbs Up Thumbs Up !!

I'm in the middle of retrimming my headlining in black Alcantara which I purchased off eBay! After all how hard can it be.... Big Cry

I removed both parts of my headlining quite quickly after first reading RRUK's posting (thanks Adam) on how he had removed and replaced his a few months back.

I managed to break all but three of the Fir Tree's holding the lining up! I started off fiddling with them trying hard not to break them easing them out with a removal tool which I purchased.... then using a screwdriver and ended up using a claw hammer and a few choice words after I managed to stab myself several times with the screwdriver!! That part wasn't in Adams posting Thumbs Up Thumbs Up I think he managed to remove all his Fir Tree's without breaking them Thumbs Up The only issue I had was with the rear view mirror. As Adam said it simply twists and come off but the housing has to be unscrewed in order to remove the headlining. The nuts above the housing did exactly as Adam said they would they span round making the removal of the screws difficult to remove. I overcame this by jamming my finger through the hold and holding the nuts still while I unscrewed the screws - painful if you have big hands but not impossible!

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

So with both parts of the roof lining out I laid the rear part on some trestles in the garden and offered up the Alcantara lining laying it over the top of the rear section of roof. It's at this point you realize that this isn't going to be an easy job! There are quite a few bends and bumps to negotiate and getting the Alcantara in just the position before you start applying glue so you aren't left with any part of the roof bare once you start stretching took me almost an hour to decide!

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

There is no way you can just spray glue (I used carpet glue spray) and lay this covering on. There are so many bends and lumps it just will not stick down and keeps coming adrift so you have to pin it in place, if your not a confidant tradesman dont even attempt this!! I started off working around the lining with my glue and pins and a confidant whistle Whistle which soon turned in to more of a hum..... soon small children were being ushered from surrounding gardens as the air turned blue... Rolling with laughter As I was stretching the Alcantra in to place and sticking it down other parts were beginning to lift and crease! It took me a full day to finally stretch the lining in to place and stick down to a satisfactory job! I spent most of the evening shaking in the corner of the room sucking my thumb Big Cry Laughing !! By the morning some of the edges had lifted and come unstuck.... by the time I got home in the evening more had begun to lift and come away from the rooflining Banging Head and with in three days instead of being a nice flat surface the whole thing looks more like an Ordnance Survey Map Laughing !!

I've just purchased sound proofing 10mm to stick on the inside of the roof and once that arrives and I put it up I'll be buying a complete Alcantara lining from LRI Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  2010 Defender 90 HT

Post #531709 15th May 2016 1:35pm
Go Beyond

United Kingdom 
The trick is to remove the original vinyl material from the carcass first Thumbs Up
Post #531711 15th May 2016 2:06pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
consumerize

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 2.5 TD SW Java Black
Yup, as said above, remove the original roof lining first, as even if you get it to stick, first time you leave it on the sun, it will look like a hammock.
Post #531782 15th May 2016 6:18pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Laurence,

It's not an easy job and I originally thought the same, how hard could it be? But then I found a thread where a guy had done it, he had even removed the original top layer to get to the carcass underneath, cleaned it all, prepped it, stuck on the alcantara and it was ok...for a few weeks, then it drooped.

After reading that I decided to buy one and make a little money back selling the old one, which you may not be able to do now you've stuck this layer on sadly. Maybe sell it on as a project?

The difference once it's in the car is astonishing, it's one of the most luxurious things you can do to the interior IMHO.

Keep us posted! 2016 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB Petrol
Post #532271 17th May 2016 10:27am
Butchers Boy

Thanks Adam well what a difference a day makes!! I took both parts of the headlining to a professional trimmer today to see it he could salvage it..... Big Cry

It turned out that there is a backing left on the Alcantara lining that I bought it should've been removed at the factory or before it was sent out. Its a hessian like backing stuck on to the foam left on it makes it impossible to stretch and stick the lining down without it retracing, creasing or dropping according to the trimmer. He showed me a similar fabric that he has with the hessian removed. By removing the hessian the foam backing sticks directly to the roof lining it can be stretched without shrinking back, creasing and coming away. I've contacted the company I purchased it from explaining the problem and am hoping to get a refund.... I'll let you know how that goes Thumbs Up

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

Because this hasn't been removed the lining is just falling away from the roof now and will easily be removed. The glue (most of it stuck to the alcantara) can be cleaned off looking as good as new so I can sell it on!

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

Today I contacted:
http://www.oemlandrover.co.uk
They have some original LR thermo pressed head linings covered with alcantara like (Aston) that carry a three year guarantee:

http://www.oemlandrover.co.uk/store/p185/D...lston.html

I spoke with Phil the owner a really obliging helpful chap who did me a cracking deal on the complete head lining including ebony black sun visors for a really good price and it should all be here for the weekend Thumbs Up

http://www.oemlandrover.co.uk/store/p127/A...isors.html

I lined the entire rear roof tub with 10mm sound deadening material this afternoon in perpetration for the new head lining. I'll do the front tomorrow evening I really hope it don't rain this weekend Shocked

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

I'll keep you all posted with more pictures soon as I've completed it Wink

Once again I can't thank and recommend Phil at OEM LandRover enough :thumbsup:

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  2010 Defender 90 HT

Post #532455 17th May 2016 8:00pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Will look good,

What sound proofing material did you use, easy to do?

Will be interested to hear how different the sound levels are? have you done the floor and back / sides etc

Thanks
Post #532463 17th May 2016 8:14pm
Butchers Boy

Hi stacey,

I got mine from Powerful UK (as recommended by RRUK)

http://www.powerfuluk.com/sound-heat-insul...148cm.html

Easy job (with a sharp knife to trim and cut - just like wallpapering really!!) it has a sticky back. Cut it to size, peel away the paper backing and place on the roof, press down or up as the case maybe! I used a cloth to run over it making sure it was all stuck down/up. Today it was a nice and hot so the roof was hot and it stuck down/up nicely. I could really tell the difference in the back once it was up the heat from the hot roof wasn't radiating down on me and no echo inside Thumbs Up

I've only done the roof so far but I expect I'll end up doing sides, floor and bonnet Laughing 2010 Defender 90 HT

Post #532480 17th May 2016 8:59pm
Lancerdoc999

United Kingdom 
great thread. Lots of things I'm planning to do on my 110, so keep them coming!
Post #532536 17th May 2016 10:51pm
Butchers Boy

Thanks Lancerdoc999 Thumbs Up

It makes it all worth while if other people can use the information that I put on here.

You might also want to checkout RRUK thread Some very useful information on there I refer to it a lot!

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic38640.html

Thanks again Thumbs Up 2010 Defender 90 HT

Post #532613 18th May 2016 12:34pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 9 of 18 <123 ... 8910 ... 161718>