↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > max tune
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
foxing

Wales 
Hufflepuff wrote:
For a matter of interest, how fast if a td5 with 220hp, and how smokey?

I'm running Alive's stage 2 at the moment (Intercooler, exhaust, EGR delete, remap and that pressure sensor reduction box thingy), but they kindly turned down the tune at the top end due to the amount of smoke it was putting out.

Its still smokey under full load above 2500rpm, which they couldn't get to the bottom of (I should say it was only a brief look at the Billing show last year), bascially it wasn't flowing enough air, and changing the MAF didn't help.

I would guess I've got a solid 150-170hp which is fine for a Defender, and it will happily cruise at 70mph now, I just wish it didn't smoke as much.

hello mate,to be honest it goes like a scalded cat,as to the smoke it gives a bit off a puff of grey smoke when pushed but nothing to bad
Post #520860 4th Apr 2016 3:24pm
foxing

Wales 
K9F wrote:
foxing wrote:
...... how much further i could go if money were not an issue. atb paul

Never mind the propane injection. Forget tuning too, 475BHP plus. Go to JE Motor Works and see what they could do for your TD5 if the chassis etc. is up to it, money is no object and you've a spare £70-£80k lying about in loose change and a sound vehicle to carry the mods out on. Engine transplant would be your best bet. Why are you trying to eak more out of it if you're sat at 220 already? Brakes etc. would also perhaps need to be given upgrade considerations too?

http://jemotorworks.co.uk/

Whistle

hello mate,good lord that's out of my price range,just thinking out loud to be honest and just wondering what was achievable with a td5,brakes have already been upgraded.
atb paul
Post #520862 4th Apr 2016 3:36pm
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
LS3?...If one was REALLY serious about some SERIOUS power, & had some SERIOUS dollars, then the 6.2L LS3 would take some beating, an easy 500HP, or if that's not enough, ya can go for the supercharged LSA with around 620HP, both available as over the counter crate engines.
Of course wouldn't it be lovely if it was as easy at that, but it ain't,...transmission, driveline, brakes, suspension, electronics etc all require upgrading,...SERIOUS dollars, but, if ya've got serious dollars???
The name "Twisted" comes to mind. If I lived in the U.K., and if I had the dollars (which I don't!), Twisted would be my first call.
Pickles.
Post #520999 4th Apr 2016 11:12pm
miker

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Rioja Red
Swap for a big petrol would be fun!

If I won a load of money the defender would get a serious rework. Part of me says I'd take it to JE/Twisted and tell them to "make it better" part of me says I'd spend the money quitting my job, buying/building a workshop and doing it all myself!
Post #521002 4th Apr 2016 11:15pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
Likeomg wrote:
try a bit of 2 stroke oil in the fuel, i have a stage 4 2.4 and it smokes a little (nothing bad at all) but the oil helps with a cleaner burn

theres 100's of threads on here which oil to use, I'm pretty sure its organic something or other...

Don't put two stroke oil in a TD5.....it can ruin the injectors.
Post #524780 17th Apr 2016 5:13pm
Fatboy Slim

Wales 
Don't put two stroke in anything other than a two stroke engine.......
Post #524783 17th Apr 2016 5:26pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12