↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Detachable tow bar- type approval?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Chris86

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 USW Chawton White
Detachable tow bar- type approval?
Hi all,

I am aware that there is not currently any type approved detachable tow bar available for defender 110 (or 90), with post 1998 vehicles requiring this.

To this end, I had a very productive chat with a towbar manufaturer earlier today who made some positive noises about the possibility of building one and getting it approved!

I am going back in on Thursday afternoon with the 110 so they can have a poke about and have a bit of a chat about it with their production design manager so fingers crossed there might be a possibility of getting something sorted!

A ammunition to go in with to hopefully persuade them I was wondering how many folk on the forum would be interested and what price would people be willing to pay (as an idea to see if its viable) for such a thing?!

Any comments/suggestions appreciated!

Chris

Last edited by Chris86 on 26th May 2015 6:12pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #426434 26th May 2015 5:26pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
The post 1998 towbar requirements applies to cars and does not apply to commercial vehicles or taxations class N1

All Hardtop Defenders, all pick up Defenders, all double cab Defenders, all UW Defenders are N1 class. All Defenders from end of 2010 (ish) were classified as commercials/N1 tax class.

Would people who do not require a type approved towbar buy a type approved detachable tow bar?

I would suggest that the current manufacturers of Defender detachable towbars have made the commercial decision not to go down the route of type approval as the cost would outweigh the benefits of the few extra sales they might gain.

Brendan
Post #426438 26th May 2015 5:43pm
John P

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
Brendan, I’m a little confused. I’ve checked my V5C, and I have a 2012 Puma 2.2 90 XS. On the taxation class I have “Light Goods Vehicle” and on the Vehicle Category I have “N1”.

Does this mean I can fit and use a non-type approved towbar for towing?

Thanks
John
Post #426442 26th May 2015 5:55pm
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
Yes.

Back on point, is the Dixon Bate one not type approved? It's on enough Defenders!
Post #426446 26th May 2015 6:09pm
Chris86

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 USW Chawton White
Thanks for clarifying that Brendan, Have slightly amended my post reflecting that.

I would be very surprised if the Dixon Bate one wasn't- however the point is that it is not detachable, which would be very handy instead of the tow-plough standard unit!

I can't help but think that there has got to be quite a lot of defender owners who fall into the not N1 and after 1998 classification for whom a detachable unit that is approved would be useful (me included!)

Chris
Post #426448 26th May 2015 6:14pm
X4SKP

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Hello Chris86

I have just gone down the 'fixed installation' Dixon Bate Tow Frame route with a height adjustable
set up allowing a 50mm Tow Ball at a 35cm height, and above this, a Nato Hitch at 50cm above ground.

The Standard Kit from Dixon Bate is Type Approved E11, however I needed to make a new support
frame to brace the set up in order to work with a NAS rear step, that technically takes it outside the
E11 Approval Category, but as my Defender is a MY2011 and its Vehicle Category is N1...
I think the advice so far is correct 'a non type approved set up can be used on N1 Vehicles'

You are right though especially for a Defender which is sent out to be a first class tow vehicle...
to not have a good selection of 'fold away'... 'detachable tow points' preserving the departure angle
normally available or required on occasions is a bit mad...

One area to improve on for the replacement Defender... Exclamation

I did see recently a Defender with this (removable) set up which is I think close to what you want... Question
I looked it up (briefly) but could only find this kit available in Australia...

Click image to enlarge

shop1auto
http://www.shop1auto.com.au/New%20towbar%2...ender.html

Type E11 Dixon Bate
http://storage.cbf.uk.com/pdf/TOWINGACCESSORIES956.pdf

Good Luck with your solution... SKIP
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic83242.html
Post #426519 26th May 2015 9:22pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Australian version is Hayman Reece.

UK version is Safari Equip

Fitted to our black 110. Non type approved, comes with drop plate, recovery billets and nato hitch plates available.

We have had one off adaptors made for customers

Click image to enlarge

Brendan

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #426532 26th May 2015 9:52pm
PCA42

England 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Tonga Green
I also run a 2" receiver set up on my 110, and also did on my 90 as pictured here:

Click image to enlarge

I find them great, but mine is cat N1 so can run a non-type approved fine. Usually drive round with the recovery eye fitted, then just put the drop plate in when needed which isn't that often. With front receiver built into the bumper, it can be moved up front for manouvering trailers as well.

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  Pete

2010 Discovery 4 GS TDV6
1972 Series III 88" 2.25P
Post #426563 27th May 2015 1:13am
mrandmrsh

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Santorini Black
Masai now have a 2" receiver version of the NAS step pictured on their website too. Looks rather neat (and for me would move the two at sufficiently away from the car to take my bike rack so is on the "near future" shopping list).

Click image to enlarge
 2015 110 USW XS in Santorini with premium contrast leather seats in tan/black, black headlining and with Dual Finish alloys (in the garage, now on Wolf rims with Goodyear MT/Rs)

2012 '62' 2.2 X-Tech 110 USW now gone ...
1984 90 soft top with full roll cage, 200 tdi engine etc now sold
2012 USW XS 2.2 "FUU" now gone....
Post #426565 27th May 2015 1:32am
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
leeds wrote:
The post 1998 towbar requirements applies to cars and does not apply to commercial vehicles or taxations class N1

All Hardtop Defenders, all pick up Defenders, all double cab Defenders, all UW Defenders are N1 class. All Defenders from end of 2010 (ish) were classified as commercials/N1 tax

Brendan

All 10my defenders, ie post 6 jul 10 are n1

Not all uw prior to that were n1. Hardtop, pu, dc were as you say. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #426574 27th May 2015 7:06am
TJ101

Isle Of Man 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
All 11my defenders, ie post 6 jul 10 are n1

The following year model start aprox July the previous year,, ie 10MY will have started in July 2009

From July 10,, N1 2011 models started California F1, 75th 110 "Kermit", 50th Ann V8, 90 V8 Hybrid, 55 Series 1

Main Brian James Trailer Dealer for South West UK
Post #426577 27th May 2015 7:51am
Swac3

At risko of necroing the thread and also hijacking it,

CAme accross this thread while forum searchng for answers to the same question, sadly its not really helped much and possibly opened up a can of worms.

My baby is a 99 TD5, But an imported CKD brought back in 09, the V5 is bank of information
regarding Mass, towing weights, Catagory, type approval etc.

No model details

In Body type its described as Light 4x4 Utility
Tax class PLG

Away with work right now so cant check the actuall VIN plate unfortunately. But now a bit concerned regarding towing in general rather than just if i can have a non type approved one.

Ho hum

Gary
Post #441939 31st Jul 2015 2:04pm
Bigspenner

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
I have read up on this a lot as I really want a quickly detachable towbar but cant find one.

These regulations have applied to N1 class vehicles too since 2012 from what I have read and my car is a 2015 so I am a bit stuffed.

I don't know if the age of the car even matters as it may well be that yo9u cant fit non approved towbars after 2012 and the age of the vehicle isn't relevant. This seems most likely.

The following link explains it quite well.

http://www.witter-towbars.co.uk/latestnews/?p=686

If anyone has found someone who does an approved one please post it as a quickly detachable towbar is high up my shopping list.

have fun chaps and chappesses Smile
Post #523338 12th Apr 2016 12:47pm
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
I know that there has been much discussion over recent years regarding the safety aspect of detachable tow bars, particularly on the Discovery 3/4, some of this discussion has been on the Disco3 forum and a lot of coverage in Horse and Hound magazine. A number of horse trailers have become detached from Discos with detachable tow bars with some disastrous results. I was originally warned off having a detachable fitted to my first Disco 3 some 12 years by a JLR dealer because they did not believe the fixation was fit for purpose. Personally I would not consider fitting one, I feel safer with a fixed installation that I can easily check for security.

With effect from April 2009 tow bars are inspected as part of the MOT test. Of course if your tow ball is detached at the time of the MOT then it is not inspected so it is always a good idea to have it in place when taking it to your MOT Station. Last year at a horsey event I did notice that someone with a FFRR was towing with a detachable tow ball which still had the key left in - had the owner forgot to remove the key or was the key left in place because he could not remove it due to the tow ball being fitted incorrectly? I left a warning note on his windscreen and hoped he got home safely. Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #523369 12th Apr 2016 2:07pm
RogerG

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 CSW Montalcino Red
I got my NAS style receiver from David Bowyer of Goodwinch, paired this with a front receiver bumper from First Four - just make sure you get the modified steering guard as you can't get to the mounting pin unless there are big enough holes in the guard to get your hand through! Fitted Anderson connectors front and rear so can use the winch, tow bar or recovery point wherever needed. Less chance of getting a demountable winch nicked as well! Front numberplate is held on with HD Velcro which covers the receiver hole which makes it easy to remove and keeps the receiver clean.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #523372 12th Apr 2016 2:09pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>