↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Tuff Trek TT-02 Product review
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Derrickthedefender

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 SW Zambezi Silver
Tuff Trek TT-02 Product review
I bought the Tuff Trek TT-02 in preparation for an expedition to Scotland in my land rover. Every year that I have had my land rover, this has been a journey of solitude. However, this time I had the company of the other half and two huskies! Therefore, I had to make the effort to introduce some comforts, it seems that a simple sheet basha off the side of the Land rover and a bivvy bag would not suffice!

Click image to enlarge

As a result, and after my homework on the internet, I found the tuff trek website and decided to buy the TT-02.
So the review…

Well I must start at the quality of the customer service from Dara at Tuff Trek and the efficiency in which the order was processed. The payment was made over bank transfer with a clear and detailed invoice and the roof tent was shipped and delivered the next day. The delivery was quick and the tent came as a neat package, although, it’s fair to say, I couldn’t fit it in the land rover!

Click image to enlarge

Fitting was relatively simple, however if I had to find a fault, I would say that the instruction manual could be a little clearer with clearer pictures. Secondly, it wasn’t completely clear where the cuts had to be made on the mounting rails, but that is a minor point.

Once fitted the erection of the tent could not be easier. Prior to purchase, I feel that the website should state the exact height dimensions that the access ladder can operate, I found that the ladder was a little too short for the rear of my Land rover, as a result, due to shortness of time, I had to improvise for the expedition.

So the roof tent fitted perfectly to the roof rack, so off with the trip.

It was safe to say that the weather was not perfect in the wilds of the Scottish highlands. The elements ranged from glorious sunshine with a little breeze (to keep the midges off) to 128mph wind and torrential rain! Such is the nature of the highlands, the roof tent was put well and truly through its paces.

Click image to enlarge

Throughout these extremes of weather the roof tent both excelled and left room for improvement. I will start off with the good…. The annex that zipped on the bottom of the tent and off the back of the land rover proved to be the perfect addition to escape the midges. It was here that the dogs slept in luxury and completely protected from the elements. The addition of this annex is absolutely critical, a perfect room to ensure that you are able to operate, cook and administrate in complete cover. I particularly love that the ladder area is covered whether you have the annex or not. Is there nothing worse than having to get up and exit the tent in the rain and wind having just woken up!? Not with the TT02 and certainly not with the annex attached.

The ability to open all of the windows on a clear and calm day while up in the tent is fantastic and the perfect setting to a comfortable night’s sleep. The mattress is very comfortable, even for the other half, and she IS picky!!

We had three nights where the wind picked up to 128mph! I am an avid mountaineer and carry a small weather devise that measure the wind speed, and this proved to be consistent wind, not just gusts! This was by far the strongest wind that I have experienced, even in the mountains. During this wind, the tent was up, the annex was attached, and the window poles were erected. The wind was savage, rocking the land rover on its handbrake and making feel like we were in free-fall. However the tent held, I was sure there would be damage. Upon investigation when we had a clear and calm evening saw that the only damage was a minor bend in the two front window poles, at the bottom where they insert into the tent base.

On the other hand, the driving wind and rain did highlight some weaknesses...

Firstly, the zips where the annex attached onto the tent, and where the ground sheet attached to the bottom of the annex proved to show weakness. The protective flaps over both of these zips did let the rain through, the reason for this that I found was that the straps that are used to fix the pegs got in the way of this protective flap and it would ride up above the zip on of the ground sheet. This was a similar story with the guy ropes for the roof tent and the protective flap for the zip that attaches the annex. This resulted in some very wet mornings in the annex, the dogs were not impressed! But additionally this lead to some miserable mornings.

As a solution to this, perhaps a Velcro strip would keep the protective flap in place and ensure water protection, this would be similar to the Velcro used at the bottom of the back door of the annex.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Secondly, I would say that maybe the guy rope and peg straps were mounted either above or through the flap to ensure that it does not inhibit weather protection.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Additionally, upon packing away the tent, this was a very quick and simple job, taking about 10 minutes in all once I was practiced. However, if I could identify a possible future improvement, it would be that the zip that holds the canvas cover over the packed tent could be fastened at both ends. This would mean that upon unpacking, the zip can be undone from both sides while leaving the front in place. As a result the cover can be peeled back and stored in place for a quicker and more efficient pack up. I experimented with this by leaving the elastics in place on the front, and this worked, but the zip would secure it further and prevent unnecessary work. This point is of particular note if the tent has been mounted to open over the back, and the front of the roof rack is packed up with gear.

On the subject of the elastic attachment on the canvas cover for the packed up tent, these proved to be quite weak and snapped in several places. As a result I will be changing this for stronger material. The hooks to clip the elastic to were mounted in positions where they didn’t really offer security. I ended up attaching this to the roof rack brackets for strength.

Once the tent was packed up, I found that the mattress would get a little damp at the bend as the tent fold in half. This area of mattress is open to the elements and it at an area where the canvas cover does not secure completely. I like that the canvas is not completely secure in this area, however, I feel it would improve the protection against the elements should the straps that fit over the canvas cover lock the cover down. Upon closer inspection, this can be achieved by mounting the straps about an inch further back on the base of the tent. This would allow the user to pull the rear part of the cover down and under the base of the tent prior to locking the Velcro strap. I experimented with this a little by trapping it between he rack and the base and it worked, but should the rear part of the strap be mounted a little further back away from the edge, this would solve this problem.

My next point would highlight that I didn’t think the pegs were very strong, these were easily pulled free of the ground in the wind. As a result I will be finding some more heavy duty pegs to fix the annex securely in place.

My final point has to portray that I think Scotland has evolved a new micro deadly midge! These midges were able to pass through the mosquito netting on both the tent and the annex. My lesson learned is that I will not be opening the windows unless there is a breeze!

Click image to enlarge

In summary, this product is absolutely brilliant! For the price the quality is outstanding, made from high quality canvas that didn’t bat an eyelid at extreme weather. I’m completely impressed with this product and would like to recommend it to everyone. Following one expedition away, it has already paid for itself. Simply brilliant. And top customer service.

Click image to enlarge
 A Defender... Mans best friend, never judges, trustworthy (most of the time), go anywhere, do anything, looks the business, and mans biggest money pit!!!

Yes the name for my 90 is Derrick!
Post #457540 23rd Sep 2015 5:33pm
Derrickthedefender

I believe that Dara from Tuff Trek is under LittleFoot on here.... A Defender... Mans best friend, never judges, trustworthy (most of the time), go anywhere, do anything, looks the business, and mans biggest money pit!!!

Post #457541 23rd Sep 2015 5:34pm
manwithtent

United Kingdom 
Thanks for the Tuff Trek tent review. I'm thinking of getting one but am concerned by one particular thing: given it's high profile on the roof (unlike the fibreglass or carbon hardshell models) how much wind shear noise is there when driving at highway speeds? I'm a bit precious about excessive white noise in the car--it can really kill any sense of serenity.
Post #475400 23rd Nov 2015 1:33pm
Derrickthedefender

You know there isn't too much more to be honest, my truck had a straight through exhaust so was loud anyway, but it really didn't add much more noise at a all, not that was noticeable anyway... A Defender... Mans best friend, never judges, trustworthy (most of the time), go anywhere, do anything, looks the business, and mans biggest money pit!!!

Post #475462 23rd Nov 2015 5:13pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1