Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > A week at Loch Lommond
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Wheel

United Kingdom 
A week at Loch Lommond
Hi All

I'm having a week away from it all and staying in a beautiful cottage on a farm near Balloch overlooking Loch Lommond.
It's the first long trip in my new 90 and I must say it was great all the way up from Essex although a little more grunt sometimes wouldn't have gone amiss but it was still good.
The weather in places was absolutely diabolical and I will def get a VW relay for the wipers as that would've been handy too.

Anyway, my point ;-

I'm going to buy some O.S. maps and wondered if anyone can recommend some fairly easy non damaging byways/trails to drive as I also want to practice with my camera so the more scenic the better ??

Thanks

Mark
Post #470924 9th Nov 2015 12:14pm
fathaggis

Scotland 
you cant green lane in scotland mate . Big Cry .......plenty of places to see some of our single track roads are near green lane standard Mr. Green Laughing

enjoy your stay . the weather is what it is Whistle
Post #470935 9th Nov 2015 1:01pm
Triggerfinger

Scotland 
Im from balloch Wink (now about 1/2 hour drive) Nice fish supper at the chippy next to the train station lol

You have plenty options from Balloch............As your there you will want to see both sides of the loch!!

Head for drymen then onto balmaha road to Rowardennan (dead end) A couple of hotels if you want some food)

A day trip to Callander & loch Kathrine no driving round it though lovely walk with wifey Wink

Up the other side of the loch you have many hours of driving depend how far you wish to go.

Glencoe has an amazing sunrise if you get a break in the weather up the loch side A82 (no snow yet Crying or Very sad )
Plenty stags around the kings house hotel(view points on the way up) Amazing steak pie at the Ardlui hotel Laughing

Up the A82 to Garlochhead (mod road) then turn right at whistlefield round about (the back road to Arrochar) A814 along loch long (sea loch) from there turn left at Arrochar up the rest & be thankful.(view point) Take the single track road to
Lochgoilhead then over to dunoon & take the main road back or ferry over to Gourock(20mins) then drive back via port Glasgow & over the Erskine bridge.

This should keep you busy for a few days you will get some amazing views & pictures!!!

If you need any help give me a shout.

Cheers Kev
Post #470943 9th Nov 2015 1:42pm
Wheel

United Kingdom 
Hi Fathaggis + Kev,

I've had a really good week and definitely got out + about and must say the scenery, if not the weather has been stunning and I will certainly return, possibly in the spring.
I've been to some lovely places but I think the highlight was going to Glencoe (5.15 start) on Thurs to catch the sunrise and then driving Glen Etive and photographing a Stag and his harem which was excellent !!!
I also drove Glen Douglas, Glen Luss and the Dukes Pass and the routes in between were good although sometimes a bit difficult to take it all in due to having to concentrate because of the weather/flooding/traffic etc but i got some great photos on my travels so I'm happy and also got to the Falkirk Wheel and the Kelpies, Rowendennen, Drymen, Balmaha, Oban, Arrochar and Invergarry to name a few and tried to do as many smaller roads as possible.
All in all I've had a really good week and will return and having looked around have a feel for where to try next time so thanks for the help and suggestion.

Mark
Post #472419 14th Nov 2015 10:56am
Triggerfinger

Scotland 
Glad you enjoyed it matey now where's the pics Question Question

I never get fed up with the sunrise at Glencoe I go snow boarding every year & im always there early
sometimes you cant get parked for tourists Laughing
Post #472441 14th Nov 2015 12:43pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1