↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Possible Snow next weekend, how to tow someone if needed?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
jimbob7

leeds wrote:
Your responsibility/duty is to ensure that people are safe, not to recover vehicles.

Just because a vehicle is capable of doing recovery work, is the driver capable/trained to do recovery work?

If in doubt do NOT attempt to do the recovery.

I have assisted strangers, I have also refused to recover strangers as I felt unhappy about the situation.

Play safe rather then play the hero!

Think very carefully, long and hard, before rushing in head long.

Brendan

This/\/\/\,peeps shouldn't rush to help other car drivers,no good deed goes unpunished.Phone the Police/Ambulance if it's that serious,a car in a ditch/parked up at the side of the road IS NOT SERIOUS, a women in a Range Rover had her roof cut off because she kindly gave shelter to an RTA victim. Pov.spec,ftw. 2006, 110,TD5.
Post #473487 17th Nov 2015 2:24pm
Cuthbert

If the driver of the 'recovery vehicle' is inexperienced and the driver of the vehicle being towed on a rope is inexperienced or liable to do something stupid (mix those factors in any permutation you like) ........... it will likely end in tears.

Vehicles being towed out with the steering lock on, no servo on the brakes, no idea about keeping tension on the rope, panic on the accelerator, wrong gears - a standard recipe for disaster and many folk are always looking for someone to blame for their own incompetence and or stupidity.

On the other hand if both parties are comfortable with each other's competence - it can fall into the 'helpful citizen' category and create a lot of goodwill all round. It can be very rewarding helping others but for me most of it comes down to the 'attitude test' and am I about to open Pandora's box.

What hasn't been mentioned so far is managing other road users expectations of a Defender and its driver. I've also experienced the 'Here comes a Land Rover Defender and it's his civic duty to pull me out of a ditch/hedge - I demand that you rescue me'.
Post #473957 18th Nov 2015 6:59pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Cuthbert, also throw into your melting pot the wrong equipment/bad choice of equipment!

Quite amusing once. Minibus stuck at 90 degrees across road, whilst attempting to turn round. I come down the hill and it was just a case of a quick pull to get the back end around so he could then drive down the hill.

Along come Mr Impatience who demanded we uncoupled the tow rope so he could get past. The tirade from the mini bus driver was quite impressive. I must admit I had a smile on my face as I slowly reversed up the hill when Mr Impatience had realised another mistake he had made by stopping too close to the backend of a Defender. He obviously was not very good with his clutch and accelerator control! Razz

Point I am trying to make you need to leave much bigger gaps in bad conditions.

Brendan
Post #473960 18th Nov 2015 7:09pm
Cuthbert

Good point on the choice of equipment Brendan.

Even the selection of an appropriate 'rope' can be key to doing the job both effectively and safely. Grabbing a length of mummy's old washing line from the rear garden might not be ideal. Or that old synthetic climbing rope from a chum down at the sports centre might fail at a key moment. Those with a background in sailing or construction might also wince at what some folk might attempt to use in a towing/lifting operation.

If the 'rope' doesn't fail another key component that commonly fails on the vehicle to be recovered is the 'towing/recovery' eye - if that comes off/out/splits the result could be catastrophic - interesting insurance paperwork to complete.

Also consider the structural condition of your own Defender before towing- are you about to discover the tin worm has been feasting on your rear cross-member or that the heavy duty front bumper isn't that heavy duty (for towing).

Just ask an AA or RAC man about the fun of towing a vehicle with an inexperienced person at the controls. Note that they don't tow using a 'rope'.
Post #473996 18th Nov 2015 8:30pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
when it last snowed i went out and spent some time recovering some vehicles up the hill near us. some delivery vans had been stuck wedged again walls for 4-6hrs!

i only initailly went out to help someone jump start thier vehicle after they left the lights on sat in jam with engine off.

i got into a whole heap of trouble that evening.

probably recovered about 30 vehicles, couple of jump starts and a few lifts for those deciding to walk. time soon disappeared. people were quite generous with cash offers too which i didnt take, it was good to get them moving again.

90% of the recoveries i did i used my winch so i could be stationary and had control of it! (or better control) for all recoveries they attached the rope to their vehicle. i only recovered off designated tow points. i used rated equipment.

Also recovered a Police LR2 out of possibly the wettest field in Somerset after he went in to light up a potential HLS (preg lady in need)

Learnt that snow socks are really good (ambulnaces were running them)

by the time i got back the 10mins i have nipped out for had turned into 3-4hrs. the misses went bonkers! Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #474018 18th Nov 2015 9:23pm
mick

England 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Rimini Red

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

So we've had snow and I didn't have any issues towing the rib Thumbs Up
Post #475224 22nd Nov 2015 7:42pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123