↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Have you experienced a reliable Puma?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 7 <1234567>
Print this entire topic · 
tookaphotoof

Netherlands 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
I always had small stuff like:
- Clutch pedal squeek. Got the complete mechanism replaced twice under warranty.
- Rattling clutch. Replaced under warranty.
- Fishbowl rear lights. Replaced under warranty every single time.
- Extremely fast rusty bumper. Replaced under warranty.
- Same goes for the bumper brackets at the rear. Sprayed under warranty. Unfortunately lots of overspray.
- Leaking roof. Fixed under warranty.
- Rust on the cabin. Fixed under warranty.
- Faulty aircon unit. Fixed under warranty.
- Defective blinker stalk. Replaced 2 times under warranty.
- Had to ask myself for the oil pump recall, but they sorted it under warranty.

Must have forgotten a few things but my car always kept going until last week when the turbo hose cracked leaving me with no power at all. For now the only time my car really let me down in 2.5 years so I find it reliable enough.
I don't find the BMW's I had in the past more reliable and I really have to say thumbs up for my main dealer.
Apart from the overspray part I'm more than satisfied with their service.

Cheapest and most reliable car for me is the 2002 Subaru Forester XT. Just under 200.000 km. Not one time has this thing let me down while it really gets used by us.
Post #461852 9th Oct 2015 3:40pm
Crofter

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Baltic Blue
I bought my 110 utility Defender in June 09 to date I have only put 33000 miles on it,
but has spent a good bit of those in and out of field and taking sheep to the mart so its probably done more than 33K of work.

Early about 9 months after buying it the engine light came on and there was a loss of took it to a dealer who had it for the day and said I might have bought bad fuel.

The only other problem, 3 weeks ago the windscreen motor blew the fuse, turned out to need WD40 on the wiper shaft.

I did blast off the paint from 2 of the wheels with a pressure hose at a garage. I have standard wheels.

So I have been happy with it up to date.
Post #467377 28th Oct 2015 8:36pm
kbf1981

United Kingdom 
Mine's been completely reliable. Awesome car. Very happy with it.
Post #467673 29th Oct 2015 9:35pm
ian series 1

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Bonatti Grey
97,000 miles, good as gold! Thumbs Up 80" 80" 86" 88" 90"

Wanted, Forward Control Anything considered.
Post #467677 29th Oct 2015 9:41pm
rossy

Ireland 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Stornoway Grey
after 4 years and 60k kms (ok not a lot) nothing worth mentioning. A tiny bit of rust, a leak or two and a noisy wiper mechanism fixed by the dealer. The most reliable vehicle I've ever owned in fact. And thanks to this superb forum one can anticipate problems that may occur in the future whilst researching the cheapest ways of addressing them - vcv, clutch, turbo hose splits etc. I will never sell her !
Post #467892 30th Oct 2015 5:51pm
CatherineF

United Kingdom 
No we didn't, but I guess it could have been a lot worse than it could have been. An itch now scratched, glad we did it, hubby still misses his truck, but wouldn't venture back into ownership again.

Interestingly I'm told our truck wasn't re-sold by Spectrum, I'm told it was traded on. Looking at the DVLA reg check system the registration number doesn't exist so I guess it's been put on a private plate. 2015 Audi Q3 Quattro S Line Plus 184 TDI Stronic
2010 90 SMC Over Land Nero Edition - Santorini Black Metallic (Now Departed)
Post #468054 31st Oct 2015 11:33am
Wild Card 90

England 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Indus Silver
Yes, it has been very reliable and dependable. 2012, 54000 Kilometers. Clutch release bearing got noisy at 48 TKm - but we dealt with it before it let us down. Had the oil pump replacement done in good time, but there was no sign of a problem.

Canīt think of any situation where I have had reason to doubt the Defender.

The previous Puma (2.4) was fine, too.

Stephen 1998 Tdi 90 SW,
2008 Td4 90 SW,
2012 2.2 90 SW,
2" raised Trailmaster/Terrafirma
Heavy Track Raids, 255 MTīs,
Recaro CSīs, anorak, wellingtons
Post #468062 31st Oct 2015 12:03pm
Grease EME

England 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 HT Alpine White
X4SKP wrote:
Yes... Thumbs Up (so far Shocked )

MY2011 2.4 tdci 21,000 Miles

Warranty Work
None

Fixed
Fuel Tank Breather Hose 7,000 Miles / 3 Years
Near Side Lights and Dashboard Illumination Fuse F18
Rear Number Plate Lights

Land Rover
Recall for Seat Belt Bolts (2013)

ECU
Engine Light (MIL) showed once, Fault Code P1103 (14,000 Miles)
Mass Air Flow Sensor In Range But Higher Than Expected
Reset it'self after a few Stop-Start Engine Cycles
(ScanGauge now fitted)

Fuel Consumption
Average over the last 12,000 Miles 25.6MPG

Longest Journey
Berkshire to the Highlands

Vehicle Rescues
Snow X3
Water X2
Mud X1

Service Intervals
6,000 Miles

Major Work
Corrosion Prevention
Security
Interior

Plans
Scottish West Coast
Berkshire to Italy

I'm having some trouble with a 2.2 Tdci puma 2013 model, if you turn the key over quickly it will fire up but instantly shut down, if you turn the key nornally ( to check dash lights) it will not start or fire up at all. i've check possible broken earths and relay connections... but is now at a end... can you help in any way...
Post #469609 5th Nov 2015 3:26am
Vitesse

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Have now done 10000 miles in my 2015 90 Station Wagon. Reg: march 20th
Only issue was a leak into the tub behind the seats. Sorted that myself with a bit of seam sealer. It was slightly missed at production I think. All good. (couldn't be bothered with a warranty claim) No other leaks or any mehcanical/electrical issues. Of course, I now have all my fingers crossed! Thumbs Up 2015 90 XS Santorini Black
Post #469778 5th Nov 2015 4:09pm
enfield_dinosaur

2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Java Black
Have I experienced a reliable Puma?

I had two so far. Each one hat it's little niggles, or "characteristics". The first one had a rattly engine, the EGR was playing up, it had a mysterious (but apparently harmless) error code P1103, some rusty spots and a bad water ingress problem. Oh, and it did overheat a couple of times.

The second one has a fine engine, but I found the bulkhead, the roof and the cappings to be rusting and corroding, due to water ingress. The windscreen seal leaks, and the EGR is shot with this one, too, but these things are probably all considered "normal effects of Defender ownership", akin to a refill of air or cleaning water into a normal car.

I always got home under my own power and they never got me stranded somewhere. So, if one is to consider that as "reliable", yes, both were reliable.
Post #469785 5th Nov 2015 5:05pm
NinetyTD4

Wales 2012 Defender 90 Other SW Keswick Green
Just passed 100k miles with the 90, had decided not to look for trouble and the beastie did not present even one. Still first clutch, no issues on the drive or the motor, just changing oil every 20k, thats it. First brake pads still above half on the daily driver doing about 25k miles a year. Same story with our 130, now just passed 300k miles, clutch was done at 250k miles, second brake pads at 250k as well, but Fattie was doing 50k+ miles a year, so it was cared for like the Duracell bunny. No major incidents, but no special care also. Seems the TD4 likes to be left alone and just be driven as often as possible. Keep it running and it will just do that (never had a single look at the EGR, maybe it likes that?). So, our family statistics now shows 400k+ miles with TD4 2.4 and not a single entry in fault register. Never had such reliable cars at such load before, guess this is the secret, don't pamper the cold bloods ... Never forget: cars have owner, Landrover have field service personnel.
Post #470201 6th Nov 2015 7:16pm
Generaldej

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Alpine White
Mines and 09 Csw (2.4). Purchased about 3 years ago with 19k on the clock. Now up to 60k miles. Serviced by garage as I always manage to get oil everywhere!
Had to change all brake discs 2 years ago- did that myself. Put in a new egr. Recently upgraded to led headlamps as my passenger on a trip to the lakes was convinced the original headlamps were not working! Installed a real wheel Mantec carrier, sound insulation. Recently changed the rear diff / prop seal as it was weeping. Not a single issue with reliability except for the passenger door wiring failing. Very happy (touch wood, fingers crossed) Very Happy
Post #471761 11th Nov 2015 10:05pm
nidge n

Wild Card 90 wrote:
Yes, it has been very reliable and dependable. 2012, 54000 Kilometers. Clutch release bearing got noisy at 48 TKm - but we dealt with it before it let us down. Had the oil pump replacement done in good time, but there was no sign of a problem.

Canīt think of any situation where I have had reason to doubt the Defender.

The previous Puma (2.4) was fine, too.

Stephen

Hi Stephen, my clutch release bearing is also just becoming noisy. As I understand it, repair is probably best done when you require a clutch. Is that the case or can it be repaired independently ? Thanks

Other than this, no other issues at all in four enjoyable years Thumbs Up
Post #471817 11th Nov 2015 11:40pm
andyc

United Kingdom 
Had mine for 4 months or so now - 2009, 35K miles - no probs at all so far, fingers crossed!
Post #474782 21st Nov 2015 9:25am
AndyS

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Sumatra Black
Four years today (happy birthday to my car!), 40,000 miles.

So far I've broken two rear lights by reversing into things and bent the front bumper by driving into a Discovery. The EGR valve went through a squeeky phase but that stopped after a week or so and I've replaced the flasher unit. Pretty good for four years, I'd say.

For comparison, I've had a new Mini (classic) that had front tie-bar issues that wore out the first set of tyres in a couple of months and damaged the wheel arches when the steering was turned more than a quarter, a new Bipper van that had tracking issues and pulled to the left really badly and wore out the front suspension mounts in less than a year and a Smart that had a basket case of a gearbox (but I think that's how the early ones were, it wasn't a fault as such).

So all things considered, the Defender is our most reliable car to date.
Post #474796 21st Nov 2015 10:41am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 6 of 7 <1234567>