↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Quieter and Smoother
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Scotm

Scotland 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Orkney Grey
Quieter and Smoother
Just started using Millers Diesel Power Ecomax on my Puma. Seems to be a lot less diesel rattle / pinking and runs smoother. Though can't say I have noticed any power improvement.

I run with Tesco fuel mostly. I have tried BP ultimate but found it made the engine noisier.

I have used Millers additives for years on my previous tdi and n/a defenders but this is the first time on my Puma.

Do other people use additives on a regular basis and what brand?
Post #418793 24th Apr 2015 9:18pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
That's what I'm using, nearly gone though and I won't replace it.
I think it's very good but I won't run it permanently I think it's good to give it a run through every couple of years.
I.e. Buy a new bottle use it until it runs out.
With a tune and running this stuff it really shifts!

I always use 25ml to 25ltrs as its easier to keep a perfect mixture being a smaller amount.
Post #418802 24th Apr 2015 10:00pm
Green Machine

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Tonga Green
I run my Td5 on Millers Diesel EcoMax. Put it in with every fill up. I noticed a big difference when I first started using it, naturally I've now got used to it! You can get it pretty cheap on eBay. Find the engine runs quieter / smoother and picks up a little more eagerly. So basically does what it says on the tin! Once made the mistake of filling up at Tesco - never done that again! In fairness it could just have been a bad batch or had been in the tank too long or something, but it was a horrible clattery week! 2005 Td5 | 90 Station Wagon | Tonga Green
Post #418807 24th Apr 2015 10:10pm
Lambley

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Java Black
I too use Millers Ecomax, I bought 5L from Opie (oilman on here) when they had a promotion, I use it in our Shogun (groan) too.
There is a definite improvement, smoother and a slight increase in mpg, better running on cold starts. I tend to use it on every fill-up, I've got an old pop bottle in the back that I've marked with 50ml doses, I just pour a dose in when filling up, it becomes second nature at the pumps now. It's very concentrated so 5L will last 100 fill-ups, it takes a tank to get working, and I doubled the dose to 100ml for the first tank to give the injectors a good clean. I think it could be good practice for you, if you use supermarket fuel then you will see advantages, less so for people who only use premium brands, but still lower mpg, smoother ride and less smoke. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Or - for more of an instant difference then add 200ml of 2s stroke to a full tank, you should feel smoother, quieter and less smokey within a couple of miles Thumbs Up
Post #418857 25th Apr 2015 5:45am
Nevillerover

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Sumatra Black
I remembered that I have one of those Redex dispensers that garages used to use to give a shot per gallon. I've just measured a shot and its 10ml so 5 shots = the Millar's dispenser bottle. So I've ordered a 5l tin which makes it more economical. I've been using mineral 2 stroke which certainly made my 2.4 less clattery so I'll report back in a few tanks on how well the Millars works in comparison. I think Millars should be better as it will hopefully clean as well as lube.
Post #418928 25th Apr 2015 2:43pm
Fabio

Portugal 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
I have used it on long journeys, when i drive for more then 500miles.
And it is ok... I don't think it is anything special.
I am also a bit scared of leaving it in tank for weeks. Don't know if i should...
As for diesel i get the best mpg with BP.

Fabio
Post #418981 25th Apr 2015 7:04pm
Defpuma

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
Have just used this for the first time. Noticed a huge difference straight away with regards engine noise being so much quieter. Much less pinking and just feels so much more refined (for a defender!!). Think I will put some in the merc to see what difference that makes!
Post #419736 28th Apr 2015 2:05pm
Nevillerover

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Sumatra Black
Ok, I've done a couple of tanks with the Millars and I can say that it is definitely much quieter and more refined, hardly any of that pinking sound. Whether I get more MPG I can't comment on because I don't measure that. I normally use Shell V power but last tank was Tesco. It used to run really rough on Tesco but is much smoother now but definTe,y down on power I recon compared to Shell.
Post #422501 10th May 2015 9:51pm
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Shocked

I thought I'd read on here all of the fuel is the same except the branded stuff has additives mixed in at the distribution centres for the branded outlet / the V power and Ultimate stuff.

well I'm on the BP Ultimate at the moment and I wondering if the above comment is the wrong way round - either something (most likely the CHT sensor) has suddenly started working or the non BP Ultimate fuels have additives - WATER !! I shouldn't imagine going by how my def is running at the moment !!!! the difference is amazing. For years I've struggled with excessive injector knock, poor gear changes, kangarooing etc. My driving style changes with how poorly my engine is running but for the last 300 miles its been faultless (there's still a small issue with the transmission somewhere) but the engine is running very sweet - I'm driving much quicker as a result and even had a wheel spin in 2nd gear pulling away from some traffic lights (that's the first time I've had that in 66k miles Thumbs Up ). Sol long as this continues the extra 10% in fuel cost / litre is worth every penny. Its times like this I think why would you want to move away from the tdci engine? Unless you're in competition a tweeked tdci in my eyes is quite sufficient for a truck that is just that - a truck and not a sports car. Mr. Green Thumbs Up

Happy happy days !

what more can I say than try it. and if it doesn't make a BIG difference then I know it must have been my CHT sensor? either way the CHT plug is coming off and getting stipped inspected and re-wired if required.
Post #498933 1st Feb 2016 8:04am
Cheshire110

United Kingdom 
I have a pretty good understanding of the diesel market etc, so here's some facts/truths that might be interesting:

All standard 'diesel' (ie shell, bp, tesco, asda) is EXACTLY the same. The only variation will be which refinery it comes from (ie where in the country you are) and how long it's been in the tank, when their tanks were last cleaned etc etc. Yes one time you might go to ASDA and get a bad batch but it's just as likely at any other fuel station, and higher turn-over places are probably better. Psycology does the rest to make people think supermarket fuel is worse.

Bp ultimate/shell V-power are definitely better (not 10p a litre better by any stretch) but good to use every so often at least, and can improve a poorly running engine in some cases (I've seen it happen!)

But it seems the best thing you can do is use some sort of injector cleaner/fuel system cleaner every month or so. Old diesels (300tdi etc) would run on anything vaguely flammable and had a bulletproof rack pump. However modern common rail engines run at absurd pressures and recycle fuel from the rail back to the tank, which eventually degrades it. Also modern injectors etc are very fine tolerance, and standard spec diesel (wherever you get it!) doesn't have enough lubricity for the pump or detergent to keep the injectors clean. That's where a frequent dose of injector cleaner comes in.

Hope that helps Cheers, David
Land Rovers of all shapes S3 onwards… Daily is a 110 V8.

Last edited by Cheshire110 on 1st Feb 2016 9:02am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #498945 1st Feb 2016 8:45am
YOLO110

Australia 
I used to use 'regular' diesel in my BMW 118d in the UK. Averaged about 49 mpg. A few years ago, I decided to give the 'Ultimate' offerings from Shell and BP a go... and my mpg rose to over 52! Not to mention quieter and more response from the engine! Overall, the fuel savings paid for the extra 10p a litre... and the added benefits were a great bonus!

I try to use 'super' diesel here in Oz... not many garages sell it. But is not a patch on the UK ultra low sulphur ultimate versions... still a very black sooty exhaust but definitely better than the normal stuff! No wonder they don't use DPF's here, they would block up in weeks! Whistle YOLO... You Only Live Once...
Post #498952 1st Feb 2016 8:55am
Caterham

David,

don't doubt what you're saying and hence my caveat re; the CHT sensor. that is the only thing that I've tinkered which recently that I KNOW could directly impact on the running of the engine. Unfortunately I tinkered with that and the clutch operation has started being much smoother more of the time since having another go at greasing it up.

so in conclusion there's 3 things that have changed recently;

fuel
CHT sensor
clutch

unfortunately all pretty much at the same time so I'm open to offers as to what has suddenly made the truck run much quieter, smoother and generally much easier to drive?

I've had the truck from new (Oct '10) and have done over 65k miles so I'm pretty familiar with the truck and it's definitely not the placebo effect. Question
Post #498953 1st Feb 2016 8:58am
Cheshire110

United Kingdom 
Caterham, sorry I wasn't really replying to your comment! Yes ultimate/vpower are definitely better and will give a choked up engine a clean out for sure! Shouldn't do anything an injector cleaner wouldn't do though

As I said standard diesel (even in the UK) is just a little bit poor spec compared to the high tec Diesel engines we have nowadays, gone are the days of indestructible diesels which will run on parafin etc! Cheers, David
Post #498957 1st Feb 2016 9:06am
Cheshire110

United Kingdom 
YOLO110 wrote:
I used to use 'regular' diesel in my BMW 118d in the UK. Averaged about 49 mpg. A few years ago, I decided to give the 'Ultimate' offerings from Shell and BP a go... and my mpg rose to over 52! Not to mention quieter and more response from the engine! Overall, the fuel savings paid for the extra 10p a litre... and the added benefits were a great bonus!

You may have found that once you have given the engine the initial 'kick' with the better fuel and cleaned it out a bit, it may not have been necessary to continue running every tank on the better stuff, one tank in a few or regular use of an additive would maintain the improved performance you noticed? although I agree the price difference isn't huge. Cheers, David
Post #498958 1st Feb 2016 9:08am
Caterham

David,

in terms of the cleaning effect I've been using Redex on a regular basis for months if not years Confused

so again points to the CHT sensor if not the fuel.
Post #498959 1st Feb 2016 9:11am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>