↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Spare Wheel Carrier?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
You are by a mile (sorry in your terminology 'kilometre' or five!) Rolling with laughter

As it was and still is a keeper money being ploughed in doesn't really enter into it. I know everything in life is on loan and it is just a hunk of metal but for personal reasons it also has great sentimentality value to myself being indirectly bought for when she was alive and eventually paid for by my late mother. Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #427018 29th May 2015 8:46am
leeds

United Kingdom 
Gunbus wrote:
That makes me think, I have the rear step bumper. I'll need to check if fitting a wheel carrier will require removal/modification?? Confused

It is normally me who warn people about the compatibility between aftermarket gear and standard gear. Razz

If your rear step is a genuine NAS step then the Nakatanenga wheel carrier (stainless steel) will fit as will the Safari Equip single pivot (mild steel) wheel carrier. Both require a couple of holes enlarging in the cross member. You might have to trim the rubber on the step.

The standard Safari Equip works with the NAS step and I am pretty sure the Mantec one does as well. Both are mild steel and both require holes drilling in the bodywork.

Will they work with all the different rear bumperettes on the market. No simple answer as there are too many makes on the market including several on eBay. The cheaper ones probably will not work with any of the rear swing away wheel carriers as they will sit too close to the rear cross member.

Safari Equip probably does the widest range of options in mild steel for Defenders.

Nakatanenga is the only company that does a stainless steel wheel carrier and has a range of them varying from pre and post 2002 wheel carriers, mixed pre/post 2002 vehicles, pick ups and now for Discovery 3/4 and is probably the best one on the UK market. (OK last statement is my opinion , so I can be accused of being biased Razz )

Brendan
Post #427022 29th May 2015 9:15am
nitram17

K9F wrote:
Depends really on functionality and form. Whilst the Nakatanenga one is obviously an excellent piece of kit so are the Safari Equipment ones. I have a Safari Equipment Single Pivot and due to the simplicity and the looks I think it is the better of the two. Mine is still perfect condition and carries a very heavy wheel with no annoying rattles or squeaks. You can also rotate the head 180 degrees for two height settings.

Click image to enlarge

Thumbs Up

I do like the lines of the safari single pivot carrier, the naka is stainless steel but to my eye just doesn't look right! Did you have to drill any extra holes for it to fit ?
Post #427344 30th May 2015 11:06pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
No extra holes need to be drilled on the Nakatanenga one but one existing hole needs to be enlarged slightly.
Barbara
Post #427351 30th May 2015 11:26pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12