↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Cargo net
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
AndyTunn

New Zealand 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Cargo net
My Defender 90 SW is mostly used as a 4-seat "car" but also needs to function as my 2-seat "going hunting taking lots of gear and a dog" wagon. I've created a partial solution (see http://www.defender2.net/forum/post424340.html#424340) but would like to fit a substantial yet removable cargo barrier behind the front seats in case of emergencies. Searching on the 'net I've found this...

http://rocknroad4x4.com/shop/load-barrier-...nder-copy/

Click image to enlarge

Does anyone have any experience using one of these? Are they easy to fit and remove? Are other similar products available?
Post #424726 19th May 2015 10:56am
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Hi Andy,

Obviously fitting such a net you would need to consider where to attach it and should you need to still use the seats as room and perhaps passenger comfort would be compromised. Depends really how much kit you need to stash? Have you considered perhaps a short rack and maybe a couple of Wolf style boxes to maintan the already limited cabin room? I had exactly the same conundrum but didn't want a full length Patriot so went for a short one that could remain fitted and was sufficient for my own needs.

EDIT** I notice you already use a cargo net on your removable shelf. The key here is will you still want use of the seats as mentioned.

Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #424728 19th May 2015 11:08am
jackl

England 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Andy, just ordered a cargo net from Brad at Rock n road 4x4 after seeing him at the donnington show earlier in the year. After several conversations and measurements it should be turning up Monday. I will let you know how it fits or more to the point how good I am with the tape measure.

The big attraction for the net is if the seats are in the back the passengers are not in a steel cage like they would be if a conventional dog guard used.

As for fixing points all the nets are made individually so the net fits where you can get a good fixing point.

Hope this helps.
Post #424753 19th May 2015 12:42pm
Pam W

England 1998 Defender 90 Td5 SW Auto Oslo Blue
We have a Mud cargo net up high - hooked onto the join between the roof and side panels (we don't have trim panels in ours). It also hooks to the top of the rear door frame and the dog guard. We use it for storing soft stuff like jackets, towels, etc.

http://www.mudstuff.co.uk/index.php/produc...o-net.html

You can just about see the arrangement in these pics.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Our blog - http://landytravels.com/

Yorkshire Off Road Club - http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net
Post #424887 19th May 2015 8:58pm
AndyTunn

K9F wrote:
Hi Andy,

Obviously fitting such a net you would need to consider where to attach it and should you need to still use the seats as room and perhaps passenger comfort would be compromised. Depends really how much kit you need to stash? Have you considered perhaps a short rack and maybe a couple of Wolf style boxes to maintan the already limited cabin room? I had exactly the same conundrum but didn't want a full length Patriot so went for a short one that could remain fitted and was sufficient for my own needs.

EDIT** I notice you already use a cargo net on your removable shelf. The key here is will you still want use of the seats as mentioned.

Thumbs Up

I thought about a rack like yours but decided against for a couple of reasons - (a) I cover about 400+ km a week in the car and didn't fancy the increase in fuel cost and (b) I still wouldn't have anywhere out of sight for secure storage.

I'm not sure I made my original post clear enough; I've reconciled myself to the fact that I need to have the car in either 4-seat or "2-seat + gear" mode but the swap-over time is only 30 mins so I can live with that. Most of the time it will be in 4-seat mode without needing a cargo barrier which is why I was thinking of a removable net rather than the rigid wire mesh type. The cargo net in the photo is pinched from my wife's Hyundai, good for tucking stuff under but I don't think it would provide enough protection as a cargo barrier. Although if it was attached more firmly maybe it would??

More thinking needed!
Post #424944 19th May 2015 11:09pm
AndyTunn

jackl wrote:
Andy, just ordered a cargo net from Brad at Rock n road 4x4 after seeing him at the donnington show earlier in the year. After several conversations and measurements it should be turning up Monday. I will let you know how it fits or more to the point how good I am with the tape measure.

The big attraction for the net is if the seats are in the back the passengers are not in a steel cage like they would be if a conventional dog guard used.

As for fixing points all the nets are made individually so the net fits where you can get a good fixing point.

Hope this helps.

I'd be really interested to see how this works out for you - with photos if possible! Thumbs Up Attaching the bottom of the net wouldn't be too much of a problem as I've included tie-down rails on my home-made rear luggage shelf...

Click image to enlarge

How are you planning to attach the net at the top and sides?

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #424946 19th May 2015 11:19pm
AndyTunn

Pam W wrote:
We have a Mud cargo net up high - hooked onto the join between the roof and side panels (we don't have trim panels in ours). It also hooks to the top of the rear door frame and the dog guard. We use it for storing soft stuff like jackets, towels, etc.

Wow that's a heap of stuff in there!

I'm really looking for something that prevents the luggage smacking me in the back of the head in the event of an accident. I already have some cargo-rails in place to tie down the bulky items, but there will still be the odd loose item plus the dog!

I wonder if the net would be strong enough in this configuration?
Post #424951 19th May 2015 11:49pm
jackl

England 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Andy,

As you will see, I also have the seats removed and a shelf across. The fixing points maybe different as mines going in a 110. The plan is fixing into the shelf on the bottom, using the grab handle fixings on the top side locations and installing a 1m length of cargo rail using the head lining fixing points, with a slight modification along the ceiling.

Click image to enlarge

I am looking to square the back up creating a triangle space behind the rear seats with access via dropping the seats forward and my boxes can push up to the net from the back.

It is well worth a conversation with Brad at Rock n road 4x4 or looking on his face book page as it has several different installs and options.
Post #424999 20th May 2015 8:41am
leeds

United Kingdom 
Life/Defender ownership is always about compromise.

To stop items flying from the back into the front in the case of a serious accident then you need a proper cargo barrier firmly fixed in.

Is that cargo net strong enough to stop heavy items flying through into the front in case of an accident?

Debateable. The net is most likely strong enough however how strong are the fixings?

If using the provided plastic fittings probably not very strong.

If using small metal snap links etc then they might take say 100 kg apiece. However what is the strength of the edge cord going through 90 degree bend. Not very strong I would guess, 100-200 kg max.

Better then nothing but no way nearly as good as a proper barrier.

In passenger compartment keep only soft items or hard items firmly lashed down

In cargo section keep as much as possible securely lashed down.

Having experienced extremely rapid deceleration soft items joining me in the front such as pillows was not an issue. All heavy items stayed in the cargo part, yes was jumbled around and a mess but at least they stayed where they were meant to be.

When things go wrong they go wrong extremely rapidly.

So think carefully safety v convenience??

Brendan
Post #425003 20th May 2015 8:43am
AndyTunn

jackl wrote:
The plan is fixing into the shelf on the bottom, using the grab handle fixings on the top side locations and installing a 1m length of cargo rail using the head lining fixing points, with a slight modification along the ceiling.

Sounds like a neat solution. I haven't taken the headlining off to see if I could do similar - something for me to check at the weekend.

jackl wrote:
It is well worth a conversation with Brad at Rock n road 4x4 or looking on his face book page as it has several different installs and options.

Conversing is a bit difficult with the time zone difference, but not impossible! Thanks for the tip on the facebook page - I'll take a look.
Post #425017 20th May 2015 9:15am
AndyTunn

leeds wrote:
Life/Defender ownership is always about compromise...

So think carefully safety v convenience??

Brendan

I agree Brendan, safety first. If I was always going to have the car in 2-seat configuration I'd opt for the full cargo barrier for sure. It's only because I need to swap between 2 seats and 4 seats with kids in the back that I'm looking for something removable. I've tried to convince the wife that the perfect solution is two Defenders, but she doesn't quite agree with the logic of my argument... yet! Whistle
Post #425020 20th May 2015 9:22am
tuesdayfox

2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Zambezi Silver
I have a similar setup,
because sometimes I will prefer sleeping in the car and obviously I cannot do that with a rigid steel barrier.

I used the 2nd row seat mounted bolts as the bottom anchor point.

as for the top anchor, if you look in to that bird-watching window of defender, you will see a couple bolts.
I used one of them.
all i did is make a L shaped bracket and bolts it down using those holes.
and then attach the net to the bracket i made.

The cargo net I bought comes with a certified maximum weights of 120kg (not sure how it is measured
Cheers
Martin
Post #425458 22nd May 2015 1:01am
tuesdayfox

2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Zambezi Silver
and for your reference, steel barrier usually comes with a impact tested of 150kg.

if the strength of fixings is a concer, why not use the ones used on steel barrier.
and that is what I have done.

Cheers
Post #425459 22nd May 2015 2:24am
Romadog

These nets are far better for protection all depending on how they are fixed

http://www.raingler.com/
Post #425462 22nd May 2015 7:12am
AndyTunn

tuesdayfox wrote:
I have a similar setup,...
I used the 2nd row seat mounted bolts as the bottom anchor point.

as for the top anchor, if you look in to that bird-watching window of defender, you will see a couple bolts.
I used one of them.
all i did is make a L shaped bracket and bolts it down using those holes.
and then attach the net to the bracket i made.

Hi Martin, sounds interesting. Any chance you could post a photo or two of the brackets?
Thanks
Andy
Post #425463 22nd May 2015 7:13am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>