↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > What is your best and worst modification?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 6 <123456>
Print this entire topic · 
Nevillerover

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Sumatra Black
Ericvv, what is the 2.4 engine mod? It's most intriguing.
Post #409862 22nd Mar 2015 12:57pm
ericvv

Switzerland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Post #409867 22nd Mar 2015 1:09pm
Lorryman100

Green Machine wrote:
I'm guessing they were Gen 1 versions Brian? Did you look at the Evo 2's when you got your Noldens, or just go straight for the Noldens? I'm thinking about upgrading my crystals and nightbreakers but prefer the looks of the JWS to the Noldens (which I accept is not the best way to choose between lights!)

I was totally fed up with the speakers that I was going to send them in for a warranty claim and contacted the company via email and was informed that they were eligible for a warranty claim but if I waited until November I would get a set of Evo 2's as a replacement. At the same time Brendan was offering the Noldens as a group buy so I jumped on the offer as I was not prepared to live with the water logged speakers. When I got and fitted the Noldens the light pattern and output was the difference between light and dark compared to the speakers so in my mind the Evo 2's would have to be the equal or better than the Noldens for me to fit them over the Noldens. I posted some pics on here of the light output which started a bun fight and a few rattles got thrown out of prams so I planned to do a side by side comparison on the same stretch of road in the dark to let people make up their own minds, sadly when I sent the original speakers back I was sent a set of Evo 1's instead of the 2's so I couldn't satisfy my own curiosity in which light I would have kept on my Puma. When I emailed the company back I asked if they meant to send the Evo 1's to which they replied yes. I thought fair enough they are abiding by the warranty and have sent a replacement set so as I am delighted with the Noldens I offered up the Evo 1's on here and they were snapped up. What I did find funny though was the member who bought the Evo 1's contacted the company to ask a question about something and were informed to send them to them and they will dispatch a set of Evo 2's which they did! Take from that what you will!!
Post #409969 22nd Mar 2015 7:49pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Fatboy Slim

Wales 
shaggydog wrote:
I'd be very interested to hear more in depth about both the moulded matting and the rear brake upgrade.

What matting did you go for? has it made much of a difference?

Did you upgrade to disks or just upgrade the drums? What was so terrible about it that you scrapped both front and rear axles?

Drum brakes, steep West Wales hills and a fully loaded 3.5t 14 foot trailer are not a good combination. Plus the fact that the quality of parts available for drum brakes has gone through the floor in recent years so got sick of changing wheel cylinders and linings that needed the leading edges grinding off before they'd work properly. I swapped both front and rear axles out for a pair of late Td5 items, so now has discs front and rear, better hockey stick bushes and better panhard rod bushes. Also has the advantage that the vehicle is 'standard' in line with the rest of the fleet now so only need to keep one type of brake pad etc o the shelf.

I went for the Exmoor moulded matting system. Expensive, but really really good stuff. Perfect for farm work (which is the vehicles primary role) as the muck doesn't get under the floor mats any more. Much quieter as well would thoroghly recommend. This is it if you want a look http://www.exmoortrim.co.uk/store/defender...etail.html
Post #409975 22nd Mar 2015 8:16pm
Wild Card 90

England 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Indus Silver
Lorryman100 wrote:
Green Machine wrote:
I'm guessing they were Gen 1 versions Brian? Did you look at the Evo 2's when you got your Noldens, or just go straight for the Noldens? I'm thinking about upgrading my crystals and nightbreakers but prefer the looks of the JWS to the Noldens (which I accept is not the best way to choose between lights!)

I was totally fed up with the speakers that I was going to send them in for a warranty claim and contacted the company via email and was informed that they were eligible for a warranty claim but if I waited until November I would get a set of Evo 2's as a replacement. At the same time Brendan was offering the Noldens as a group buy so I jumped on the offer as I was not prepared to live with the water logged speakers. When I got and fitted the Noldens the light pattern and output was the difference between light and dark compared to the speakers so in my mind the Evo 2's would have to be the equal or better than the Noldens for me to fit them over the Noldens. I posted some pics on here of the light output which started a bun fight and a few rattles got thrown out of prams so I planned to do a side by side comparison on the same stretch of road in the dark to let people make up their own minds, sadly when I sent the original speakers back I was sent a set of Evo 1's instead of the 2's so I couldn't satisfy my own curiosity in which light I would have kept on my Puma. When I emailed the company back I asked if they meant to send the Evo 1's to which they replied yes. I thought fair enough they are abiding by the warranty and have sent a replacement set so as I am delighted with the Noldens I offered up the Evo 1's on here and they were snapped up. What I did find funny though was the member who bought the Evo 1's contacted the company to ask a question about something and were informed to send them to them and they will dispatch a set of Evo 2's which they did! Take from that what you will!!

I can well understand your reaction, And I am also quite surprised that the purchaser of your warranty Evoīs managed to squeeze an upgrade out of them. The various comparisons indicate that the current Noldens and Evo IIīs are quite close in performence now. However, whichever LED lamp you choose becomes irrelevant if the damned things mist up and corrode after only a short time. Iīve opted for the Evo IIīs and will soon enough know if they are finally up to scratch. Rolling Eyes
You just donīt get this much entertainment out of ordering headlamps for a regular modern car, do you? 1998 Tdi 90 SW,
2008 Td4 90 SW,
2012 2.2 90 SW,
2" raised Trailmaster/Terrafirma
Heavy Track Raids, 255 MTīs,
Recaro CSīs, anorak, wellingtons
Post #409981 22nd Mar 2015 8:37pm
steventheplumber

England 1987 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Keswick Green
Best Puma heated seats so far,

Worst fitted by last owner wide tyres make such a mess.

Click image to enlarge
Post #410217 23rd Mar 2015 5:34pm
yostumpy

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

My favourite mod, makes me smile every time I get in.
best mods,
1 ton rims,
small side windows to sides of hardtop (1 each side)

Worst mod
Raised air intake.

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #410537 24th Mar 2015 3:51pm
andy---doe

United Kingdom 
My worst has now changed cos I have pulled the horrid wind deflectors off. If anybody is mad enough to like them and needs a pair, pm me and I'll send them you.

My worst mod now is tinted rear windows. I like the look from the outside and the fact it makes it hard to see in, but it is equally hard to see out.
Post #410545 24th Mar 2015 4:13pm
steventheplumber

Pm sent Andy Laughing

yo stumpy proper job Thumbs Up
Post #410549 24th Mar 2015 4:43pm
ian series 1

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Bonatti Grey
For me, best mod was taking the 18" Discovery wheels and going back to standard 16s and loosing them nasty hub adapters!

Headlight upgrade and loom, excellent!!
Raised cubby box,
Alpine sub on cubby box.
Stainless side steps

Worst...
Bit disappointed in the Momo Nero I brought, needed to be chunkier. Sad

Other than that, very happy with it Thumbs Up 80" 80" 86" 88" 90"

Wanted, Forward Control Anything considered.
Post #410577 24th Mar 2015 6:56pm
BigM

Kenya 1985 Defender 110 300 Tdi HCPU Auto Bonatti Grey

Click image to enlarge

Anderzander,

Re. Safari snorkel, though I live in central Kenya I never found that I needed to protect the engine operation from dust. We usually have to deal with mud a lot more than dust. Thus, as I dislike the look of it (I am an old school type guy), I am tempted to remove it. It was on the Hi-Cap when I bought it. Now that I have inspected it I found out that it is not an original but a copy!

Best
Post #410613 24th Mar 2015 8:58pm
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
best free mod, air box propeller removal
best paid for mod, glove box

other good mods
99 relay
momo tuner steering wheel
kbx heater intake (no need to run fan)
rear door strut
led side lights, rear lights
led reversing light bulb
uprated head light bulbs
uprated head light loom/relay
rear lighter socket
rear work lamp

worst mod, everything I have purchased from Terrafirma (poor quality and fit), DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #410617 24th Mar 2015 9:15pm
Clive

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 X-Tech LE Zambezi Silver
Best mod - replacing the original hard to reach, (sometimes) handbrake lever with a Disco 2 one mounted on the top of the seatbox

Click image to enlarge

Can't really think of a worst one Confused
Post #410666 24th Mar 2015 11:03pm
steventheplumber

Clive have wondered about doing that mod myself, remember my old series two handbrake it was a pain in the bottom.
Post #410711 25th Mar 2015 8:32am
Stiff1

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Really keen to do the hand brake mod, thought it had to be a range rover classic item which is not a very OEM handle in the defender, that looks much better. Was it difficult?
Post #410736 25th Mar 2015 12:11pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 6 <123456>