↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > What is your best and worst modification?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 6 <123456
Print this entire topic · 
newhue

Australia 
Tough one cause there are so many that just make you smile like a chid on Christmas morning.

best, 12v fridge or BAS remap

worst, none really. My Defender and travels
Post #413131 2nd Apr 2015 8:00am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Vitesse

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Just got a new Defender and I wish to report the best mod (and only one so far!) is the steering lock adjustment. Out of the factory these were fitted almost fully out! Turning circle was a joke! Anyway, thanks to this forum i spent 10 minutes yeterday adjusting them and I now have much improved turning circle! At least as good as it can be with a Defender! Thumbs Up Thank you. Very Happy 2015 90 XS Santorini Black
Post #413755 4th Apr 2015 1:54pm
Gunbus

Scotland 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Best mods for me so far have been upgrading lights to LED type and sound proofing.

Worst has been installing foam sound proofing then feeling like a tool when I had to strip it out to install better stuff! Big Cry
Post #414403 7th Apr 2015 9:41am
dailysleaze

United Kingdom 
Best
300Tdi coolant alarm - reassuring
Turbo gauge - I use it all the time to see how much I'm asking of the engine

Average
1.2 transfer box - the motorway crusing is great, but A roads not so much. An overdrive might be better, although this mod is cost effective

Worst
Polybushes - Wear just as quick as cheap rubber ones. Only genuine these days
Post #414587 7th Apr 2015 9:23pm
YOLO110

Australia 
Vitesse wrote:
Just got a new Defender and I wish to report the best mod (and only one so far!) is the steering lock adjustment. Out of the factory these were fitted almost fully out! Turning circle was a joke! Anyway, thanks to this forum i spent 10 minutes yeterday adjusting them and I now have much improved turning circle! At least as good as it can be with a Defender! Thumbs Up Thank you. Very Happy

To save me time, would you have the link to how to do this please! Many thanks! Wink YOLO... You Only Live Once...
Post #414592 7th Apr 2015 9:28pm
MarkBrown

United Kingdom 1983 Defender 110 Other HT Auto Keswick Green
I've a few to add to the list:

Best mods:

Mud stuff overhead consol. This is great for hats, gloves, hi viz etc. Also good as it hides the top of the windscreen to roof join which is hard to retrim yourself.

Om 606 engine swap. Or any engine swap. Anything will be better to drive than a 2.25 petrol.

Automatic gearbox. Totally transforms your Landy, no more achy legs, you need to like auto's though. Probably best when fitted to a V8, td5, M57 or Om 606.

Led rear brake and tail lights. No more intermittent lights.

TDI indicators. These are better than the earlier type as they have a sealed lens unit with a modern style twist out holder, accessed from the back, they're just better. Except the brake lights, see above. Will need larger holes to fit.

Rear disc conversion. Saves adjusting shoes. They don't work any
better though.

Ministry of defender puma style dash. Great upgrade for the multi - piece, pre - puma models. Neat, more modern style, no rattles. Solidly made in the UK.

Sound proofing. Even a floor mat will be better than nothing. Preferably followed by carpet.

Polybush kit. Takes out all the slack and wobblyness. So do new bushes, probably.

Crystal lenses. They look nice and work better than the older type.

Swing away spare wheel carrier. I fitted a genuine one, which is great and takes the weight off the the back door.

Nas rear step, nice and neat to hold the tow ball.

Custom exhaust with lifetime guarantee. Just perfect, fit and forget.

Early series doors and tops. The sliding windows are about 500 times better than wind up windows on any car I've ever been in. They don't let in the rain whilst driving along and let in the perfect amount of ventilation. They can also be adjusted in a millisecond.

Worst mods:.

Series doors and tops, although I like the operation of the sliding windows, see above, I don't like the look of them, they really date a defender and the fit is appalling. They're drafty and leak, just like the later ones.

Twin washers jets. Twice the amount of water but half the
pressure. Probably better with twin washer pumps.

1.2 ratio transfer box on a 200 tdi 110. It's too high geared for the engine power. I swapped it back to a 1.4 and it was faster.

High 5th gear on an Lt77 V8. Pointless. Too high, only any good down hill.

All of the above have been tried and tested on my own land rovers.
Post #981439 6th Feb 2023 8:50am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 6 of 6 <123456