↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Smaller steering wheel
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Print this entire topic · 
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
K9F wrote:
A quick search reveals that unless you are disabled and obtain it under the mobility scheme the 8 ball wheel spinner is in fact on the wrong side of legality. Apologies if you are registered and it is legit, with half the wheel missing you need the spinner as without it it would be difficult.

Any references to this?

Although this is the case in New York State, and there is a mass of internet wibble about steering wheel balls/knobs possibly being illegal in the UK, I cannot find any primary sources which state that this is the case and I am not aware of any legislation which directly or indirectly renders it so.

I am actually fairly certain that they are wholly legal provided that they do not prevent you having full control of the car, though I stand to be corrected.

Some of the inter-wibble centres on the the belief that "it is illegal to drive with only one hand on the wheel", whcih it isn't, provided that you have "full control" of the vehicle. Plod tends to maintain that having one hand on the wheel must by definition mean that you cannot be in "full control" since you have another, uncommitted, hand, therefore having only one hand on the wheel must indicate a lower level of control than two and hence not "full" control. This argument I feel is specious (but I don't wish to be the person who challenges it is court)!

I am also not actually aware of any reason why an able-bodied person cannot drive a vehicle which has been modified for someone with special control requirements, provided that they can do so safely (and have the correct licence of course). If this is not prohibited, then I don't see how a steering wheel knob could be disallowed.

As I say I stand to be corrected, but it would be interesting to clear this up. It seems to be another of the great internet misconceptions - everyone knows someone whose freind's brother's aunt was told by a copper/the MOT man/whoever that it is definitely illegal!
Post #401712 24th Feb 2015 4:15pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
blackwolf wrote:
Any references to this?

Only from my initial search first time round for the UK...... Thumbs Up

If you wish to be sure pick up the phone and call one of the motability links contained therein, better still the Department for Transport themselves. There is some amusing reading in the links. They used to be called 'suicide, brodie or drift' knobs.

Laughing

https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/inde...753AATykPR

Even in some of the United States you need to be registered disabled apparently.

https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/inde...337AAraXMl If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #401737 24th Feb 2015 5:32pm
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Loup noir,
K9F wrote:

Some of the inter-wibble centres on the the belief that "it is illegal to drive with only one hand on the wheel", whcih it isn't, provided that you have "full control" of the vehicle. Plod tends to maintain that having one hand on the wheel must by definition mean that you cannot be in "full control" since you have another, uncommitted, hand, therefore having only one hand on the wheel must indicate a lower level of control than two and hence not "full" control. This argument I feel is specious (but I don't wish to be the person who challenges it is court)!!

I have to say I have always thought the 'two handed = full control, one handed = partial control' a bit of a nonsense. I have no doubt that my one hand, on a power assisted steering wheel, has a damned site more control than the two hands of some old biddy on any type of steering wheel. Backed up by better eye site, quicker reaction times, greater coordination, etc etc all meaning that in my opinion I would be more in control than her (and so as not to be sexist, a gentleman of similar vintage) Whistle Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #401759 24th Feb 2015 7:31pm
ericvv

Switzerland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Post #401762 24th Feb 2015 7:34pm
Horneteer

United Kingdom 1986 Defender 90 200 Tdi SW Firenze Red
[quote="blackwolf"]
K9F wrote:

Some of the inter-wibble centres on the the belief that "it is illegal to drive with only one hand on the wheel", whcih it isn't, provided that you have "full control" of the vehicle. Plod tends to maintain that having one hand on the wheel must by definition mean that you cannot be in "full control" since you have another, uncommitted, hand, therefore having only one hand on the wheel must indicate a lower level of control than two and hence not "full" control. This argument I feel is specious (but I don't wish to be the person who challenges it is court)!

Further to this debate, if you must keep two hands on the steering wheel, how do you let the hand brake off to get moving, change gear or adjust the heater controls so that you can actually see where you're going?
Post #406509 11th Mar 2015 10:00am
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
In mitigation Your Honour I wish to point out the preceding two posted quotes are indeed NOT mine as mistakenly indicated on the forum.

Laughing If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #406513 11th Mar 2015 10:10am
HansT

Sweden 2004 Defender 110 Td5 SW Belize Green
Moto-Lita 15" fitted two years ago

Click image to enlarge

/Hans
Post #406700 11th Mar 2015 9:17pm
Lambley

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Java Black
Having looked at several bosses etc, it always seems that the stalks are just a bit too far away, so after going for a drive today I decided to see if the distance could be changed....

It was very easy, I pulled back the rubber covering the stalk, heated the alloy part under the rubber with a lighter, just enough so it wasn't too cold (there's a wire running through it so it can't be heated too much) and then used 2 pairs of grips to ease it out a bit. They are now in the perfect position....

Here's some before and after pix...

Before...

Click image to enlarge

After...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #407010 12th Mar 2015 7:22pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 4 <1234