↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > Proposed route through Norway.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Declan303

Ireland 1997 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Coniston Green
Thanks for the replies.
Reason I'm asking is that I have BFG Muds on mine and while they are good in fresh snow, I would rate them pretty useless when it comes to wet icey conditions. So, I guess next question is whether most of the driving is more likely to be on compressed snow / ice or are you more likely to be met with deeper fresh snow where I think the muds may win out. If a lot of ice road driving then the bfg muds would slow one down to a crawl.

Declan303
Post #402506 26th Feb 2015 8:30pm
Andrew james

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Indus Silver
Compacted snow and sheet ice most of the time. The roads are regularly ploughed so snow does not get deep.
Post #402510 26th Feb 2015 8:37pm
Phoenix90

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
As Andrew says, you won't be met with much deep snow, it'll be mainly compacted snow and ice and when snowing there will be a layer of loose snow on the surface.

You don't want knobbly open groove patterns that you usually find on mud tyres. You want a fairly standard road tread, but with lots of sipes in it.

The sipes pick up snow into them and then the snow grips to the snow as you go along.

In ice, it is the rubber that grips the surface. You need tyres with a softer rubber than the BFGs will have.
Post #402513 26th Feb 2015 8:44pm
Declan303

Cheers lads, guess the bfg muds would be a bit of a disaster so. It would be a long drive sliding sideways most of the way Very Happy
Post #402561 26th Feb 2015 10:10pm
Phoenix90

Much better to just have the odd 'moment' of sidewaysness.... Thumbs Up
Post #402592 26th Feb 2015 10:59pm
The Monkey

Ireland 
Lads whats the deepest snow you have come across on your travels... i have to buy new tyres this year and i just feel that having to buy a second set that will get used once is well a pain in the nuts... I have seen people go on M+S alas not actually heard what there like to drive on...
Post #402949 28th Feb 2015 12:37am
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
If you are travelling thru Sweden then all vehicles both residents and visitors must fit tyres that are listed on their winter tyre schedule. You may get away with it but there would be questions if you had an accident and damaged 3rd party property

Once you have snow tyres they last a good few years
Post #402962 28th Feb 2015 8:30am
Declan303

Problem too Tristan is that all tyres that have M+S stamp are not recognised as winter tyres and you have to go by the accepted list as BPMan says. Have a look here http://stronordic.com/information-2/winter-tyres/
Oh! and bye the way, my 35 BFG Muds have M+S stamped on the sidewall and I can see why they would not appear on a list for driving on ice. Even driving on wet roads you have to be careful and when it comes to ice well enough said, brown trowser stuff Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Post #402979 28th Feb 2015 10:43am
The Monkey

Ireland 
I'm going to go with snow tyres I think.. MUDs are noise and a don't exactly hèlp fuel consumption... And recommendations lads..
Post #403010 28th Feb 2015 12:48pm
Phoenix90

It isn't really to do with the depth of snow. The worst I have driven in is probably only about 6 inches deep, with drifts being deeper, but when it is like that you are going slowly, in a single file line of traffic and it is OK.

Snow if fine for grip, the tyres pick up snow then the snow on the tyres sticks to the snow on the road and the traction is suprisingly good. The areas or difficulty are the compacted snow and ice, which covers the roads for thousands of kilometers. That is where good tyres make a real difference.

I know buying extra tyres is a bit of a pain, but they are probably one of the most safety critical component for a trip like this. Yoiu see plenty of cars that have left the ropad and got it wrong whilst in the area so having the right tyres is an absolute must for me Thumbs Up

You could always get something like the Wrangler Duratec, which gets great reviews and would be suitable as your new tryres and also winter tyres.
Post #403011 28th Feb 2015 12:51pm
Phoenix90

Are you guys going together or in seperate trips?
Post #403012 28th Feb 2015 12:51pm
The Monkey

Ireland 
Declan is in thinking of joining us on the trip phoenix... I want some ease of comfort when driving more so for 1000's of miles which is planned. Can you recommend a Tyre phoenix! I found my BFG all terrains fine at home and was more than happy with them this year...
Cheers
Tristan

Last edited by The Monkey on 28th Feb 2015 2:24pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #403025 28th Feb 2015 2:03pm
Declan303

Tristan is going for definite as I've just found out a few days ago so I'm not fully committed to the trip just yet. Still doing research and trying to make up my mind. Rolling Eyes
Post #403026 28th Feb 2015 2:04pm
Phoenix90

Each time I have done the trip it has been on Cooper Discoverer M+S tyres (They call them M+S in the brand name, but they are actually a proper snowflake on the mountain winter tyre.....). I am sure there are others that would be just as good, if not better, so long as they are a dedicated winter tyres. Nokian always get a good review Thumbs Up

I've also done it on a set that were studded, but they didn't make a huge amount of difference, just a little bit better on ice.

You could always speak to people who have already done the trip, they may have a set of tyres they are interested in selling....

How many of you are going Tristan?

Declan, it is definetly worth it..... I'm sure Andrew can post up a couple of pictures from our most recent trip to help convince you!
Post #403113 28th Feb 2015 7:42pm
Andrew james

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Indus Silver
I've tried Big Cry
Post #403117 28th Feb 2015 7:55pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>