↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > Proposed route through Norway.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
The Monkey

Ireland 
Phoenix90 wrote:
Each time I have done the trip it has been on Cooper Discoverer M+S tyres (They call them M+S in the brand name, but they are actually a proper snowflake on the mountain winter tyre.....). I am sure there are others that would be just as good, if not better, so long as they are a dedicated winter tyres. Nokian always get a good review Thumbs Up

I've also done it on a set that were studded, but they didn't make a huge amount of difference, just a little bit better on ice.

You could always speak to people who have already done the trip, they may have a set of tyres they are interested in selling....

How many of you are going Tristan?

Declan, it is definetly worth it..... I'm sure Andrew can post up a couple of pictures from our most recent trip to help convince you!

Received both your emails lads cant thank you enough Phoenix 90 your reports is outstanding and answers so many questions.. At present there is 2 vehicle's going for defo but there is a few lads thinking about it. I was looking at the coopers and there a good contender and very well priced that said if i could get a second hand set for affordable money i would do.

lads is nordkapp worth the extra miles honestly? I d like to go but it could add up to 4 days on the trip (up and Back). my father who was in Norway in the 60's back packing said the Lofoten Islands are fantastic and ehy there should be seen!!!

Cheers
Tristan
Post #403207 1st Mar 2015 3:23am
Phoenix90

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
I think it really depends on why you go...

For me, i've done the trip going all the way to Nordkapp a few times, but have also done it where we only go so far as Tromso, before then heading over to Kiruna.

Nordkapp is a target and as one of the most northerly points in Europe that is realistically accessible it is a good target to aim for.

Does it really add a lot to the whole experience? I'm not sure... Certainly the stretch from Alta to Nordkapp is increasingly desolate and feels more exposed and wild in nature. It might be a bit of a shame to go nearly all the way north (Tromso region) but not quite finish it off?

On the other hand, it is nice to spend a couple of days in Tromso and then head inland towards Kiruna, both of which have a fair bit to do and are good for touristy things like skidoo riding etc.

Loften is amazing (I expect even more so in the summer) but we have only made that detour once on a winter trip. Even without going to Loften you will pass through some amazing scenery on your drive up the E6.

Another thing to consider is are you going for the 'winter effect'... If so, you want to plan to spend a bit more time inland. The coast of Norway (all the way to Norkapp), is kept warm by the sea. That means that it is often not that cold / snowy, it really depends on the weather. This year we arrived in Tromso and it was just above freezing so the snow was melting and water running on the road surfaces. Seven days later it was -10 with 2 ft of snow having fallen overnight. Go inland 50Km and you will have guaranteed 6ft of snow, but on the coast it varies a bit more.

We always drive up the E6 to Tromso and the weather / conditions have been different each time, ranging form terrible hammering snow and driving in convoys, to really clear roads with very little snow around. Whenever we have turned inland to Kiruna the depth of snow increases very quickly and the temperature drops rapidly.

Whatever way you decide to play it, you will have a great time. Just plan at least a couple of few days for resting and doing some fun stuff Thumbs Up oh and be ready to go and stand in the snow for a few hours looking for the aurora!
Post #403260 1st Mar 2015 10:10am
The Monkey

Ireland 
Hi guys just said i would give you all an update on this Ive done my road book out in a rough sketch. Ill be completing it on a day to day basis shortly. ive ditched the idea of camping and staying between cabins and hostels..

Please feel free to have a read and share any opinions boats being booked real soon so all systems go..
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jys3r7...sp=sharing
Post #440022 24th Jul 2015 12:33am
Phoenix90

Hi Monkey,

Just a few thoughts which may or may not be of any help:

- Everything there looks fairly achievable, but it also looks pretty intense! You don't have many (? any under Amsterdam) rest days built in and some of the timings are a bit optimistic at the moment. For example, Alta to Gjesvaer took us 4.5 hours this year and that was in good weather. About 3 years ago it took us most of a day as there was a bit of a snow storm coming onto the ground. Although it gives you a starting point, add around 25-50% to whatever google maps tells you (more as you travel further north) + rest breaks.

- Be prepared that it may not go according to plan, if you are caught in some weather and stuck behind snow barriers then it will slow your trip down quite a bit. Being the place it is, this does happen, we've been very fortunate with weather the last two years, but prior to that we have had to change our route and plans as the weather held us up.

- I'm sure you've double checked, but Narvik Hersletta didn't used to be open in the winter? Would be interested to know if it is now.

- It's a shame not to visit Tromso whilst you are in the region.

- Yttervik do have cabins to rent in the winter, but in my experience are really difficult to get hold of!

- Jukkasjarvi: If the Ice Hotel is full, you may may be better off staying in Kiruna which is just a short drive away. Kiruna has a lot more places to stay / eat and you can always drive back out to Jukkasjarvi if you want a night cap in the ice bar.

- For your route back down, going out to the coast is a faster way of doing it as the coast is warmer and has proper main roads most of the way, but coming down the interior via Ostersund and Mora keeps you in that 'winter wonderland' feeling for a lot longer. The drive home has a tendency to feel just like that, a drive back, whereas staying in the middle keeps it feeling like its part of the adventure still.

- If you wanted to, you could buy a day back from your time in the south, to have more in the North. You could go:
24th: Hamburg to Copenhagen
24th - 25th: Copenhagen - Oslo (overnight ferry)
25th: Oslo - Trondheim
therefore arriving in Trondheim on the 25th instead of the 26th.

When we go, we travel Oslo to Levanger on that day. It is a long old day, but as it is the south the travelling is usually good and means we have made a really good bite into the journey north within a day.

Just some ideas, good luck with it Thumbs Up
Post #440038 24th Jul 2015 7:57am
Spookytooth

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
I have only done Narvik to Alta in late spring, however, it was still a good days driving, not so much the distance, it is the total sense of awe. Every turn is an Oh my God moment, every bend demands another stop for photos, in my opinion this is not a section to be rushed, however, looking at your schedule doesn't appear to be anyway of making up time. Just a personal observation, I would consider ferry to Oslo and getting North as quickly as possible leaving the Atlantic Road for another day. The Atlantic Road is OK, however, only small parts of it capture the feeling of the amazing aerial photos and may make for a better trip combined with the mountains and Fiords between Bergen and Trondheim. You also need ferries to and from the island to get to the Atlantic Road, which may or may not be weather dependent. In either case looks an amazing journey (to quote the Who), have fun
Post #440049 24th Jul 2015 8:43am
The Monkey

Ireland 
Thanks for the feedback gents. I'm in the process of redoing the trip I've taken your advice on board and decided after looking at it that Copenhagen to Oslo works better.

Now im in to mind do i

A: head to Levanger

B: head to Molde spending the night and doing the atlantic road?

My head is saying A and heart saying B..
Post #440130 24th Jul 2015 1:51pm
The Monkey

Ireland 
Ok Be is not an option. So A its is ive redone my road book again i had hoped to fit this in to a little over 2 weeks but im finding it hard.

Can anyone make any adjustments to see where i could make time up..

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jys3r7...sp=sharing
Post #440143 24th Jul 2015 2:49pm
Spookytooth

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
This is just a personal observation because I have not been there in winter, however, the Bergen to Atlantic Road is where you are most likely to find closed and impassable roads in winter. The main coast road to Nordkapp may also have problems but has a much higher chance of being open due to warm sea currents and being the main Norwegian North South highway. You have so little time that I would suggest either playing in the snow between Bergen and Trondheim and that's it, or going flat out for Nordkapp and returning down the Swedish coast to Stockholm and then main highway to Copenhagen. You have such a long way to go before even getting to Norway that it seems like an overstretch to me, even beyond an epic adventure. Given the mileage you are doing it is essential you have all your cabins booked or identified in advance, it is no fun trying to find them however plentiful they are in winter when tired, they just wont be there
Post #440178 24th Jul 2015 5:32pm
The Monkey

Ireland 
Cheers man i have copied this road book very close to be people whom have done it in the past. I'm going to go with it but have a second road book done to come back down the Swedish coast. I'm happy with the time frame and miles baring in mind two lads will be sharing the driving aswell. In going to try get up to nordkapp.
Post #440196 24th Jul 2015 6:55pm
Phoenix90

So your new route is very similar to the route we have struck on after doing it a few times, I find it OK, but Andrew on here would also be a good judge for the distance each day etc..

From my experience, I don't think you can get a lot of time back form your current schedule. I think you would need to go for a couple more days to get more time into the schedule.

At Levanger there are good cabins at Levanger Camping
The cabins at Barents Cabins are good
Alta camping do nice apartments

The only other option (and not one I have tried myself) is to take the freight ferry from Immingham to Brevik, it cuts time off the European drag which is really good, but only sails twice a week http://freight.dfdsseaways.com/dfds_ferrie...m_ferries/
Post #440198 24th Jul 2015 6:58pm
The Monkey

Ireland 
I think I'm going to go with what I have. Its might it's not a trip I'll be doing every year so if it takes 18-19days so be it. I might try some small changes but I think I'll give it ago. Is there any changes you would do phoenix?
Post #440251 24th Jul 2015 10:26pm
Phoenix90

No, I think it is a pretty good route. However, if you can, go for a couple more days.... Spend a rest day in Tromso to explore the city and spend a day in Kiruna playing with snow mobiles / dog sleds / underground mine tour / visit Ice Hotel. Maybe take an evening trip to Abisko whilst you are there.

Like you say, it's a special trip, but you will be travelling big distance by day and then out by night searching for the Aurora so you want to be able to take a bit of time to enjoy your travels, rather than being on the move nearly every day. Having a couple of rest days also allows for catchup if your schedule slips and give a bit of care for the cars.

How many of you are going?
Post #440293 25th Jul 2015 9:48am
The Monkey

Ireland 
Thanks for the reply man. There is 3 cars going at present but that is likely to change down rather than up. I'm going with this route minus 1 or two changes im gonna book ferries for harwich Holland or Copenhagen till 6 weeks before I'm going to try getting the Immingham to brevik boat that will fairly change my time frame giving me extra days in Norway. I've to make a decision between staying in tronso or kiruna for a rest day I'm thinking I'll stay in kiruna. Only other possible change is coning down Swedish coast instead of inland but again I'll assess this in the coming weeks. Few questions what's the weather like in late Feb. Is it possible to kit a defender out to a safe standard to sleep in. If so what's recommended. Thanks again all.
Post #440356 25th Jul 2015 9:12pm
The Monkey

Ireland 
Lads i want an opinion on another option if possible. After talking to my dad about the trip he said Nordkapp isnt worth the drive and i would be far better off spending my time exploring the Lofoten islands and surrounding area. and would free up some days off. He did it many years ago whilst hitch hiking around Norway,
Anyone any honest opinions.
Regards
Tristan
Post #440713 27th Jul 2015 4:27pm
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
Not been as far up as Norcap but can recomend the Lofoten isles
Thumbs Up Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #440739 27th Jul 2015 5:50pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>