↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Oil pump question
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 6 <123456>
Print this entire topic · 
Cuthbert

Don't you just love Ford 'value-engineering'.
Post #391909 23rd Jan 2015 8:25pm
ian series 1

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Bonatti Grey
Mmmmm I've started to lose faith in them a bit

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

You don't get much for the £3200!!
Turbo was another £800

You can see the state of the oil, this is where the filter housing bolts to the side of the block
Tdci in the peugeot are slightly different as they are transverse
But the internals and block are shared 80" 80" 86" 88" 90"

Wanted, Forward Control Anything considered.
Post #391914 23rd Jan 2015 8:35pm
Fujixs90

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Fuji White
Been doing recalls on 2.2 boxers now to due to a "enhanced" oil pump. I'm tempted to buy one from work and fit it myself, cos mines done 17k and already had a turbo due to it being noisy, and now my 3k old turbo is becoming rather whirl when cold.
Post #391972 23rd Jan 2015 10:26pm
vito115

Ive got a Boxer........... 3 litre Thumbs Up
Post #391986 23rd Jan 2015 11:02pm
TomB

Germany 
we change the oil all 5000km because of the "oil quality low" DTC 253f00

yes, we use the correct oil Wink

Click image to enlarge
Post #392027 24th Jan 2015 7:36am
ericvv

Switzerland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
As to the oil quality in a Puma 2.2 with DPF... Is the oil quality maybe deteriorating (much) faster than with a Puma 2.4 due to the regular DPF cleaning cycles when each time apparently small quantities of diesel fuel are left behind in/added to the engine oil, which with each cleaning cycle gradually lowers oil quality? If that is the case, probably wise for Puma 2.2 DPF owners to indeed replace their oil at much faster intervals than prescribed by LR.
Eric You never actually own a Defender. You merely look after it for the next generation.
http://youtu.be/yVRlSsJwD0o
https://youtu.be/vmPr3oTHndg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GtzTT9Pdl0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABqKPz28e6A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLZ49Jce_n0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvAsz_ilQYU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8tMHiX9lSw
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dxwjPuHIV7I
https://vimeo.com/201482507
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSixqL0iyHw
Post #392028 24th Jan 2015 7:50am
TomB

Germany 
Yes it's a problem of the DPF cleaning.

Another problem is, that our Defender does not display "oilservce" even when the DTC 253f00 is stored.
Post #392029 24th Jan 2015 7:56am
2hooky

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 DCPU Firenze Red
interesting read!b I posted under another subject on this forum as my 2013 Defender xs dcpu suffered a complete power failure on the motorway and has been at the dealers for some time now. We went through the shopping list from LR from failed injectors to cracked cylinder head !! but it now seems to me that its this oil pump issue. I have done 76k miles and it was serviced in January at the dealers - so oil in good condition and the right type (I hope!) When it failed, no warning lights came up - it just cut out. I did try and start it again and it sounded like a bag of bits!
As one of the posters said, if you only do low miles and the vehicle doesnt fail in warranty period, you are sitting on a potential time bomb! It must surely be a recall by LR ?
Post #398657 14th Feb 2015 8:16am
2hooky

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 DCPU Firenze Red
I also forgot to mention it is in for replacement of the clutch release bearing - for the second time! Sad
Post #398658 14th Feb 2015 8:20am
munch90

England 
even a lot of "devoted" transit fans are going off transits now
Post #398669 14th Feb 2015 9:53am
spudfan

Ireland 
It seems that the pumps are failing because they are clogging up with the engine oil/diesel mixture that results from the diesel contaminating the engine oil when the diesel is used in the dpf regeneration. A mechanic who was working on my 2.4 Puma at a Land Rover/Ford maindealership told me he's come across a lot of transits where the oil was like jelly when being changed. He recommended that I cut the Land Rover service interval for oil changes for my 2.4 in half i.e. every six months or every 6,000 miles. He changed my gearbox oil at 2 yearly or 24,000 mile intervals as he maintained that the Land Rover service interval for this was too long especially when looking at the state of the gearbox oil. So a sensible sort of chap.
He maintained that the Puma with the dpf needed to be driven "well" occasionally with more frequent oil changes than recommended in the service schedule. Well travelled Transits were regenerating the dpf very regularly which resulted in the engine oil getting contaminated big time owing to the amount of diesel getting into the engine oil.
You will recall that Land Rover maintain that where a vehicle is used in "arduous conditions i.e. frequent wading or very dusty conditions" that the engine oil and gearbox oil be checked weekly or even daily and changed if necessary.
It seems that with the Puma fitted with a dpf this will fall into "more frequent oil change situation". So hypothetically this could mean a monthly oil change for vehicles that go through a lot of dpf regeneration cycles. It seems that the only way to keep on top of the oil contamination is to check it daily on the dipstick and when the consistency begins to change, change the oil and filter. If you run the dipstick between two closed fingers then open your fingers you'll get a rough idea as to the consistency of the oil. I know a local mechanic who does this.
So to keep your 2.2 Puma engine going long term it seems that you could be looking at a minimum of four oil and filter changes a year. This is not the horror story it seems. I ran a 200 tdi Defender 110 station wagon for 16 years as the family car. They oil and filter were changed every 3,000 miles. Then again the engine oil for the 200 tdi was nowhere as expensive as the oil for the 2.2 Puma with the dpf. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #408587 18th Mar 2015 1:19am
vito115

i had a 2.2 (dpf) transit and used to change the oil every 20k & had no problems. I thought with the dpf filter it put diesel into the filter to burn the crap off ? how would that allow diesel to mix with the engine oil ?
Post #408605 18th Mar 2015 9:27am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I am no expert on the subject, but I think the problem is to do with how the diesel is injected into the DPF.

The two approaches are (1) have a separate injector in the DPF itself or just upstream of it in the exhaust, this is relatively benign and causes few problems, but is expensive, or (2) program the ECU to blast fuel through the usual injectors whilst the exhaust valves are open, in the hope that it is swept into the DPF. This is cheap and consequently is now the almost universally adopted method. This tends to leave excess fuel in the cyulinder which then tends to migrate past the rings into the sump, taking carbon and other crappy combustion by products with it, and eventually increasing significantly the risk of catastrophic engine failure.
Post #408611 18th Mar 2015 9:46am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
spudfan wrote:
It seems that the pumps are failing because they are clogging up with the engine oil/diesel mixture that results from the diesel contaminating the engine oil when the diesel is used in the dpf regeneration.

Has anyone tested that theory? It may well be correct with whatever they are adding to the oil to make it dpf specific; however, generically I'd have thought that diesel in the oil would just act as a thinning agent rather than turn it to jelly.

Also, wouldn't the jelly also accumulate in the sump and so be visible on the dipstick?
Post #408613 18th Mar 2015 9:56am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
vito115 wrote:
i had a 2.2 (dpf) transit and used to change the oil every 20k & had no problems. I thought with the dpf filter it put diesel into the filter to burn the crap off ? how would that allow diesel to mix with the engine oil ?

From the MY13 Workshop Manual:

"Engine Oil Dilution
Engine oil dilution can occur due to small amounts of fuel entering the engine crankcase during the post-injection phases. This has made it necessary to introduce a calculation based on driving style to reduce oil service intervals if necessary. The driver is alerted to the oil service by a message in the instrument cluster.

The DPF software monitors the driving style and the frequency of the active regeneration and duration. Using this information a calculation can be made on the engine oil dilution. When the DPF software calculates the engine oil dilution has reached a predetermined threshold (fuel being 7% of engine oil volume) a service message is displayed in the instrument cluster. Depending on driving style, some vehicles may require an oil service before the designated interval.

If a service message is displayed, the vehicle will be required have a full service and the service interval counter will be reset."
Post #408615 18th Mar 2015 10:00am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 6 <123456>