↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > First Flight!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
ChrisJ

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
First Flight!
So at the ripe old age of 29 I'll finally be taking my first flight on Saturday morning to Copenhagen Very Happy

I wouldn't say I'm particularly nervous about it, but then I don't really know what to expect, I've only just started to think about it really.

I'm contemplating travel sickness pills before hand but then I guess I won't know if I would have needed them or not.

How where your first flight?
Post #374501 27th Nov 2014 9:29am
ken

United Kingdom 
Its just like a bus so im told (dont do public transport)

Fly 4-5 times a month just A to B
Post #374506 27th Nov 2014 9:43am
Rickydodah

Re: First Flight!
ChrisJ wrote:
So at the ripe old age of 29 I'll finally be taking my first flight on Saturday morning to Copenhagen Very Happy

I wouldn't say I'm particularly nervous about it, but then I don't really know what to expect, I've only just started to think about it really.

I'm contemplating travel sickness pills before hand but then I guess I won't know if I would have needed them or not.

How where your first flight?

My first flight was nearly 50 years ago in a Douglas Dakota (DC3) and you could count the rivets as they bounced along in the wings. Flying at 10,000ft for long periods is not that comfortable but you'll be flying at around 35,000ft and it'll be very smooth with maybe the odd jolt. It's all about getting things into perspective as Billy Connely says flying never killed anyone...it's the ground that does it. Sit back, relax and enjoy. Thumbs Up I started with nothing and still have most of it left!
Post #374514 27th Nov 2014 10:07am
leeds

United Kingdom 
ken wrote:
Its just like a bus so im told (dont do public transport)

Fly 4-5 times a month just A to B

So you have your own personal private jet then Ken? Razz

A flight to Copenhagen would probably be between 1-2 hours and will be absolutely fine in normal commercial public airplane. Would be more 'interesting' in a pre WW2 biplane at low level.

Depending which airport you are flying from ensure you listen to the gate announcements etc and you are better off getting to the gate 5 minutes early then getting distracted by shops/bars and getting there 5 minutes after they have closed gate, stopped boarding.

Relax, get bored and enjoy it.

Brendan
Post #374518 27th Nov 2014 10:21am
g-mack

United Kingdom 
you WILL here a lot of strange mechanical noises during take off and landing! dont worry they are all perfectly normal! Smile but can be a bit un nerving at first!! My 109 thread

my youtube channel
Post #374535 27th Nov 2014 10:58am
Pam W

England 1998 Defender 90 Td5 SW Auto Oslo Blue
My first ever flight was 10 hours - Gatwick to Denver. Bearing in mind I hate heights and closed in spaces you'd think I would not want to fly - but actually I love it - especially take-off and landing. Our blog - http://landytravels.com/

Yorkshire Off Road Club - http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net
Post #374587 27th Nov 2014 2:19pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
Take offs and Landings always remind me of being on a roller coaster
Post #374591 27th Nov 2014 2:42pm
ChrisJ

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
Thank you all for the replies and advice.

I fly at 9:30 am Saturday from Birmingham, with Scandinavian airways I believe.

Still no nerves, I'm sure I'll be fine.

I've been to France when I was about 5 but that was by coach. Looking forward to stepping out of the country and exploring the world a bit.

Has anyone been to Copenhagen? All the websites etc seem to suggest its a great city and especially at Christmas, they officially light the Christmas tree on Sunday evening and there are plenty of Christmas markets on.

Any suggestions of places to visit?
Post #374664 27th Nov 2014 8:36pm
JR

Scotland 1984 Defender 90 200 Tdi SW Coniston Green
I must have been 5 or 6 (around 1966) when I took my first flight but I can't remember it much, it was in a Taylorcraft Auster at the Scottish Gliding Union near Kinross up here in Scotland. What I can remember is that I absolutely loved it, both powered flight and Gliding too.

My first airline flight was on 1 August 1972, unaccompanied and flying from Prestwick in Ayrshire, returning 21 August, I flew to Toronto for a holiday with my Aunt and her family. The airline was BOAC and the aircraft was a Boeing 707, I sat in the rear row on the left hand side, being a proud Scot (aged 11) I wore my kilt! I sat next to a very nice blonde lady who was also flying on her own. At that time it was apparently policy for unaccompanied children to get a tour of the cockpit, I was very upset that they wouldn't give me a tour given my love of flying!

I also remember my ears popping like crazy as we came into land back in Prestwick. We landed around 7am and I can still see my parents waiting in the arrivals lounge.

You know the saddest bit, I remember having my first MacDonalds meal on the way home to my Aunt's house from the airport in Toronto.

Am I a sad f***er or what!
Post #374700 27th Nov 2014 10:24pm
ericvv

Switzerland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
ChrisJ wrote:
Thank you all for the replies and advice.

I fly at 9:30 am Saturday from Birmingham, with Scandinavian airways I believe.

Still no nerves, I'm sure I'll be fine.

I've been to France when I was about 5 but that was by coach. Looking forward to stepping out of the country and exploring the world a bit.

Has anyone been to Copenhagen? All the websites etc seem to suggest its a great city and especially at Christmas, they officially light the Christmas tree on Sunday evening and there are plenty of Christmas markets on.

Any suggestions of places to visit?

Just came back from Denmark and a Baltic country via Copenhagen with SAS last night. SAS are an excellent airline, first quality planes, and you get friendly and nice looking stewardesses as a bonus. Laughing Copenhagen airport is a friendly place too.
The town is an absolute gem, friendly people, which goes hand in hand with a well run country and stable strong economy. Can confirm that right now it already is in full X-mas decoration. Just make sure you avoid one particular area of town where they concentrate the drug abusers. Don't know the name of that area, but everybody in Copenhagen will be able to tell you.
As this is your first flight, you might want to select an isle seat (seat letters C or D), rather than a middle or window seat. An isle seat can give you a bit more roomy feeling which for some reduces the stress level.
Enjoy your trip. Thumbs Up
Eric You never actually own a Defender. You merely look after it for the next generation.
http://youtu.be/yVRlSsJwD0o
https://youtu.be/vmPr3oTHndg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GtzTT9Pdl0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABqKPz28e6A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLZ49Jce_n0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvAsz_ilQYU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8tMHiX9lSw
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dxwjPuHIV7I
https://vimeo.com/201482507
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSixqL0iyHw
Post #374754 28th Nov 2014 6:24am
Jimb1978

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 Black LE Java Black
My first flight was in an raf vigilant (powered glider), it was still in the test phase so they couldn't turn the engine off in flight. (At least that is how I remember it as I was only 14.)

I was in the air training corps, and that shows I must be relatively Young because my first flight was not in a chipmunk...jump john jump!!!!!! 2002 110 td5
Post #374760 28th Nov 2014 8:28am
Gareth

England 2003 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Oslo Blue
My first flight was in a Dan Air Hawker Siddeley 748.

2021 Defender 110 X-Dynamic HSE D300 MHEV
1966 S2a 109 aka Betsy
1968 S2a 88 aka Bob
2014 Jaaaag F Type 3.0 Supercharged.
Post #374928 28th Nov 2014 9:07pm
Projectblue

England 
Dan Air, that takes me back a bit.

As long as you have the same number of take offs as landings you're fine. Has been said, it's like getting a bus. Only a nice one, that just goes to one place, without stopping.
Post #374994 29th Nov 2014 1:55am
Gareth

England 2003 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Oslo Blue
'Dan Dare' as they used to be referred to! They were a regular visitor to Manchester Airport, where I have to confess I spent a fair amount of my youth plane spotting! These were the days (70's and early 80's) when you could actually walk out on top of the piers, and look down on the aircraft (wave at the pilots) that were parked up.

Dan Air, Comets, BEa, Viscounts, Vanguards, DC6, DC8, VC10, 707, 727, Caravelle, BAC 1-11 Laughing All great planes and names that come back to me when I think about it.

Happy days. Thumbs Up 2021 Defender 110 X-Dynamic HSE D300 MHEV
1966 S2a 109 aka Betsy
1968 S2a 88 aka Bob
2014 Jaaaag F Type 3.0 Supercharged.
Post #375006 29th Nov 2014 9:46am
Projectblue

England 
Laughing sounds like you and I had a similar childhood, you surprised me when you said Manchester cos that's the one I used to go to. My dad worked for BA (BEA) back then. During the school hols he would take me to work at 6am and park me in the corner of the office at the end of the pier. Later when it started to get busier or I was getting restless and annoying, he would take me up top to the viewing areas and leave me up there all day! I got 10p to spend on a postcard and given some jam sandwiches (can you imagine kids of today accepting that as entertainment and parental care? Very Happy ). He bought me the registration book and I'd happily sit there crossing out all the planes I saw. I was 12 mind Whistle

On some winter days when it was foggy in London I would get the bus (369?) to see all the visiting aircraft diverted in from Heathrow. I think one morning there were 24 extra Jumbos parked up everywhere!
1-11, Tridents, 727, DC8, DC10, VC10 & my favourite, Tristars.

Happy days mate.

Sorry for the thread hi-jack.
Post #375017 29th Nov 2014 11:06am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>