↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > First Flight!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
Nothing to be nervous about really, I just find flying a tedious, boring and stressful experience. Lots of waiting around, and generally the planes are too cramped to be comfortable. Take off is quite interesting, but once up at cruising altitude there is not really anything to see apart from the top of the clouds...

I second getting there and waiting rather than being later as the airlines are VERY strict about such things and won't let you on if you are late... 2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1972 Series III 1-Ton Cherrypicker
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"
Post #375035 29th Nov 2014 12:32pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ChrisJ

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
Well I thought I'd let you know how thrip went.

In a word... amazing ! Thumbs Up

Set off from home around 7.00 am Saturday morning to arrive at Birmingham airport around 7:45. Up nice and early, bags packed and no signs of nervousness for the first flight.

Arrived at the airport, checked our bags in and pretty much straight through security, I found it quite amusing I had to remove both my belt and shoes as well as keys, wallet, jacket etc. needs must in this day and age I suppose.

Had a browse around duty free and picked up some supplies from Boots, the good lady recommended some sweets to help with the ear popping, a coffee later I found myself heading down to board.

Now it was at this point I got my first glimpse of the Plane, it was a lot smaller than I thought, a Bombardier CRJ7000 type.

Once on and sitting down it was all good, we had booked the seats with extra leg room near the emergency exits all though normal seating would have been fine.

Take off was fantastic, the grunt of the plane down the runway and then the sensation of lift off was great, once above the clouds and settled I pretty much just sat looking out of the window, not much to see really but fantastic non the less.

An hour and a half later we were preparing to land, the pilot had to make a second attempt due a problem but we touched down nice and smoothly. Denmark from above looked great and I couldn't wait to jump off.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #377140 7th Dec 2014 10:09pm
ChrisJ

Once we stepped off the plane it was bloody freezing, I knew it would be cold but it was the coldest I've ever experienced, the wind was high which didn't help, a short bus ride to the terminal and jumped off to get our bags, straight through security and into a taxi to the airport.

First impressions of Copenhagen were very good, looked clean and very little traffic on the roads.

Arrived at the hotel which was situated on the main stretch towards the shopping area/centre of Copenhagen, Hotel was lovely, very friendly, clean and the room was very good, we had a quick coffee, popped our bags in the room and headed out to find some food.

One of the reasons we chose Copenhagen was for the Christmas markets, it didn't disappoint and I recommend anyone who likes Christmas or has children to visit at this time of year.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #377144 7th Dec 2014 10:19pm
ChrisJ

The Pictures above were from Tivoli Gardens, a 100year old theme park, Christmas wonderland, every knoock and cranny were filled with Christmas.

We found a restaurant to have some lunch, food was very nice and I got my first glimpse of the prices out there, not cheap really, I suppose similar to any capital city, a main meal was around £15 (burger and chips etc) a drink around £6.30 for a pint of Carlsberg.

We finished lunch and headed for a look around, it got very cold around 7pm and we were both dead on our feet so we headed back for an early night.

We spent the next few days looking around the shops and markets, drinking Glugg the local mulled wine, Sunday around 4pm was the turn on of the city square Christmas tree, the fire brigade have a procession around the city and then arrive at the square, some lovely old fire trucks including a nice series 3.

The last day Tuesday we were up and packed and checked out around 12:00, left our bags at the hotel and arranged a taxi for 3pm to the airport, had a look around the shops and picked up a few presents then headed off for the flight home.

Trip to the airport was rather erratic with a heavy footed driver but we got there, checked our bags in and shopped around duty free and then went down to boarding. The plane home was an airbus, larger than the flight out, again take off was great and to see Denmark at night from above was a great sight, we soon above the clouds and settled in to the flight.

I'd managed to pick up a small ear infection whilst away which when coming back below the clouds on the approach to Birmingham kicked in big time, very painful and I couldn't wait to get off the plane.

Despite the ear infection the trip was amazing, so glad to have finally gotten out of the Country and visited another place, I would recommend Denmark to anyone, very friendly and polite, very clean and not to over priced.

Thank you all for your advice on flying and I can't wait to jump on the next plane!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #377152 7th Dec 2014 10:41pm
keith

Scotland 
Ask one of the air hostesses if you can join the 'mile high club '
Depending on her answer , it might be your last flight Rolling with laughter
Post #377163 7th Dec 2014 11:25pm
vogue se

Belgium 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 Exclusive HT Nara Bronze
Flight to Danmark is just enough for a good power nap.

I'm doing at least one return flight a week. This week is Poland next week France. And so on. Flying it self is still exciting but the waiting hours and security checks before are killing.
Post #377257 8th Dec 2014 2:52pm
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
As a bit of an aside, you never see an ugly woman in Denmark, I drove up through Germany a few years ago and it was noticable as soon as you crossed the border Whistle
Post #377260 8th Dec 2014 3:02pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12