↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > North Wales?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
lambert.the.farmer

England 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi PU Rutland Red
North Wales?
After watching a couple of bits of TV over the last few weeks I am toying with the idea of a week of holiday next year looking at things like the slate mines etc. However the last time I was in Wales was about 10 years ago and I seem to remember that the whole place was infested with revenue cameras on what appeared to be every good driving road and that the head copper was somewhat mental about people who enjoy driving. Have things changed or is a spirited drive still best undertaken elsewhere? Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #372113 17th Nov 2014 6:37am
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
Yes we do have rather a lot of speed cameras in Wales; however, it is the mobile ones you have to worry about that are in the most remote of places. Saying all that if you keep to the legal speed limit of the road you will have no problems.

One of the reasons for speed traps in Wales is not to generate income for the local constabulary but to try and deter boy racers and those that think the winding roads are in fact rally tracks and you should drive them as fast as is possible.

As many of the roads are without pavements you have local people and holiday visitors many with pushchairs who walk on the side of the roads and due to the nature of the contours of the land Welsh roads can have many blind bends, better to drive safe than kill a child.

Similarly our roads can have sheep and other wildlife wandering them and honestly if you hit a sheep at speed it can make a real mess of the front of your car and also lead to loss of control often with fatal results.
Post #372150 17th Nov 2014 12:28pm
Tiger

2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Java Black
Go to Mid Wales, it's basically lawless.

12 Years Old? Got a quad?, got a Collie?, Got a Shotgun? Then just put three together and drive around, nobody will care Thumbs Up

No speed cameras also

Also why go to Wales for driving?

The A59 Harrogate to Skipton is an awesome road, especially the bit before Bolton Abbey Whistle
Post #372152 17th Nov 2014 1:01pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
Just as an adage if you mean the Slate Mines at Llechwedd, which are actually Caverns then forget about driving the attractions there will blow your mind for they contain the world's largest underground trampolines located in caverns which are twice the size of St Paul's Cathedral, Wales:

The first trampoline is 20ft off the ground, the second is 60ft and the third is 180ft high. They are connected by shoots and you get in via a walk way in to the middle trampoline.

However if you are thinking of visiting the slate caverns at Blaenau Ffestiniog, don’t bother they are rubbish, and Blaenau Ffestiniog even on a warm summers day is a depressing place. Welsh people say when god had finished making the world all the left over rubbish he deposited at Blaenau Ffestiniog and if you go there you will understand that.
Go to Llechwedd and use the trampolines and the massive outdoor Zip wire.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #372157 17th Nov 2014 1:19pm
lambert.the.farmer

England 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi PU Rutland Red
Ok cheers guys. Yes I know the a59 well and it's not alone. Spirited is obviously a relative term when applied to a tdi. Being a former coal mining engineer the trampoline thing is somewhat wasted on me. We'll see how it goes. Cheers. Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #372209 17th Nov 2014 5:55pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Lambert - in your former life you must have had some fun on a man riding belt - give those trampolines a go. I'm going to have to find a bit more about them myself...
Post #372408 18th Nov 2014 9:55am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1