↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Wheels & Tyres > High Quality Modulars
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
Cuthbert

a13x wrote:
Is that the only way the weights can be fitted? Do they not do black weights?

That looks an awful job - someone clearly doesn't have an eye for detail.
Post #365592 19th Oct 2014 10:35am
Grouse

Why were the weights not put on the inside on opposing sides ?
Post #365737 19th Oct 2014 8:21pm
AJS4X4

United Kingdom 
These Modular wheels are designed to take wheel weights on the outside and inside edge and black wheel weights are hard to find, as wheel weights are now Zinc (not lead) which is a lot lighter than lead it takes up more space.

The way the Modular wheel is constructed it does not leave any space inboard close enough to the outside plane, just putting a bare wheel on the balancer will through up an imbalance.

If a wheel and tyre needs 150 grms to balance it out on the outside plane then if you can do an internal balance it would require maybe 300+ grms and as there is very little space is does not work. Andy.

www.ajstyres.co.uk 01737 241370

Junction 8 M25 Surrey.
Post #365882 20th Oct 2014 1:55pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Balancing or dynabeads are the answer as you end up with no crappy weights at all on your rims and the tyres remain permanently dynamically balanced. If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #365885 20th Oct 2014 2:17pm
AJS4X4

United Kingdom 
We have Dyna Beads coming into stock later this week for customers who don't like seeing wheel weights, it adds about £12.00 per tyre. Andy.

www.ajstyres.co.uk 01737 241370

Junction 8 M25 Surrey.
Post #365915 20th Oct 2014 4:55pm
K9F

Once in a lifetime cost as they can be transferred to the next tyre. The money and time saved on balancing it's a good price perhaps? If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #365919 20th Oct 2014 5:06pm
Vizsla

England 
Hmm, interesting reactions Laughing

Anyway, the weights perhaps looked more 'obvious' because the wheels are new and very shiny while the weights (being zinc) were also very bright.... but not now...painted yesterday as intended and far less intrusive to the point of visually disappearing. Feels well balanced, no vibration and stance on the road is what I hoped for.

Surprised nobody mentioned the lettering outside issue (my choice) Very Happy
Post #365948 20th Oct 2014 7:06pm
AndyS

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Sumatra Black
AJS4X4 wrote:
... just putting a bare wheel on the balancer will through up an imbalance.

Out of interest, what is it you're balancing when you balance a wheel? Is it the wheel, the tyre or the tyre and wheel combination? If a wheel/tyre was to throws up a 150g imbalance, could you pop the tyre off the bead, rotate it 180 degrees around the wheel and reduce the weight needed to balance the wheel?
Post #366028 20th Oct 2014 9:57pm
Cuthbert

Looking at the sheer volume of 'prestige' and 'low-budget' cars running on the UK's roads with black wheels (fitted as OEM or after-market) there is little excuse for any quality tyre shop not having black coloured weights in stock. I certainly didn't have to specify "black weights please for my black rims" when I recently replaced the tyres on another of my vehicles.

As for budget priced steel wheels - you cannot reasonably expect them to be manufactured to the same precision engineered tolerances as top of the range cast alloy wheels. Add on a set of big fat off-road style tyres and dynamic balancing may prove more of an issue - especially challenging when seeking an unobtrusive solution.
Post #366043 20th Oct 2014 10:58pm
Cuthbert

K9F wrote:
Once in a lifetime cost as they can be transferred to the next tyre. The money and time saved on balancing it's a good price perhaps?

Thanks - an interesting possibility for the future.
Post #366044 20th Oct 2014 11:00pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
AndyS wrote:
AJS4X4 wrote:
... just putting a bare wheel on the balancer will through up an imbalance.

Out of interest, what is it you're balancing when you balance a wheel? Is it the wheel, the tyre or the tyre and wheel combination? If a wheel/tyre was to throws up a 150g imbalance, could you pop the tyre off the bead, rotate it 180 degrees around the wheel and reduce the weight needed to balance the wheel?

Never seen this in the off road market but with sports cars & Yokohama tyres they have the following procedures for balancing:

To facilitate proper balancing, Yokohama places red and yellow marks on the sidewalls of its tires to enable the best possible match-mounting of the tire/wheel assembly. There are two methods of match-mounting Yokohama tires to wheel assemblies using these red or yellow marks:

Uniformity (red mark)
Weight (yellow mark)

Uniformity Method
When performing uniformity match-mounting, the red mark on the tire, indicating the point of maximum radial force variation, should be aligned with the wheel assembly's point of minimum radial run-out, which is generally indicated by a colored dot or a notch somewhere on the wheel assembly (consult manufacturer for details). Radial force variation is the fluctuation in the force that appears in the rotating axis of a tire when a specific load is applied and the tire rotated at a specific speed. It is necessary to minimize radial force variation to ensure trouble-free installation and operation. Not all wheel assemblies indicate the point of minimum radial run-out, rendering uniformity match-mounting sometimes impossible. If the point of minimum radial run-out is not indicated on a wheel assembly,the weight method of match-mounting should be used instead.

Weight Method
When performing weight match-mounting, the yellow mark on the tire, indicating the point of lightest weight, should be aligned with the valve stem on the wheel assembly, which represents the heaviest weight point of the wheel assembly. After match-mounting by either of the above methods, the tire/wheel assembly can be balanced.
Post #366122 21st Oct 2014 11:35am
Cuthbert

Reading Supacat's posting above .......... I'm minded to wonder if the average tyre fitter could even begin to comprehend the paragraph headed "Uniformity Method".

I will travel many miles to use a tyre fitter who understands that I don't want my expensive rims damaged, that I don't want different coloured weights fitted and that I want my wheels accurately balanced.
Post #366276 21st Oct 2014 8:45pm
CarMan

United Kingdom 
Too late now for Vizsla, but I bought a set a few years back from Silverline and was very pleased.
Post #409189 20th Mar 2015 9:57am
need4speed

Reviving a slightly old thread, but I prefer the look of the 'D Modular' wheels..

Silverline seem to have a reasonable reputation as well.

http://www.silverlinewheels-tyres.com/4x4/wheels/steel
Post #428493 4th Jun 2015 7:06am
K9F

Wrong thread. Got up too early. Embarassed If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #428541 4th Jun 2015 10:36am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123