↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Home service on the Puma
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
kimhas

Norway 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 X-Tech LE Nara Bronze
Hello!

I going to change dielsel filter for 1. time on my defender.
If I fill the new filter with diesel before I put it on, then it is no need for more bleeding of the system?

Kim
Norway MY2011 Defender 110
Post #339488 20th Jun 2014 5:58pm
munch90

England 
fill filter and fit all should be fine , start and run for couple of mins
Post #339490 20th Jun 2014 6:01pm
And1145

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Buckingham Blue
Yes, +1 to that,

Fill the filter with diesel and start it up. It may cut out a few times once started but just keep at it.
It will run properly after a couple of minutes.
Post #339511 20th Jun 2014 7:17pm
kimhas

Norway 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 X-Tech LE Nara Bronze
thanks. Then I will try tomarrow MY2011 Defender 110
Post #339530 20th Jun 2014 8:08pm
newhue

Australia 
Well had a crack at servicing mine yesterday for the first time and have to say the Defender has to be one of the easiest cars I've ever changed the oil on. And to my joy, after 10K km the oil was only a little dirtier in comparison to my wife's petrol powered vehicle. Last time I changed a diesel it was jet black, no way you could see through it, and stained everything black including my hands for a week. Not the case anymore.
I found comfort in the outrageous price of the "new age" oil a Defender requires actually seems to do things differently. Plus whatever new gismos on the motor to make it cleaner are actually doing something, however my EGR valve is closed because it fails every 20K.

Filled both oil and fuel with liquid before re fitting, car started immediately and no dramas at all. Thanks for the snip pips of info, especially the 27ml oil filter socket.

FYI
In the past I have drained to much fuel out of the fuel filter looking for water and the car stalled and would not start. I was hoping a running car would keep the system airless but it didn't. To re prime the system I used my little on board air compressor and fed air into the fuel tank and sealed the filler neck with a loose rag. Cranked the motor and after a couple seconds it started and ran fine. It was heaps easier and faster than the hand priming tool LR suggest to prime the system. Because the tank to motor side of the fuel system is vacuum, and very low at that, you don't need loads of air to pressurise the fuel tank.
Also after a 1 hour drive, I drained my tank and realised how warm the Diesel gets, which can cause condensation, which is why the fuel filter has a drain valve, and why LR say check for water regularly. The diesel warms because the unused proportion is returned to the tank after going through the fuel pump in the motor with is hot obviously. And as you know water, diesel, and common rails injector system are not the best of mates.
Sorry if I's telling you to suck eggs, just taken me while to work out why it' so, and thought perhaps others may be able to fast track the mechanics of it and save some time and money.
Post #339936 22nd Jun 2014 9:18pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12