↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Home service on the Puma
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
spudfan

Ireland 
Home service on the Puma
Serviced the 2008 Puma this morning. I used the Allmakes PR2 filter kit. I chose this kit over another cheaper option because it contains a Stanadyne fuel filter. Stanadyne supply the Land Rover genuine fuel filter you get with your new Defender. Also included is a Mann air filter and a Mahle engine oil filter and a sump plug.
I got the kit from here http://www.land-rover-parts-shop.com/en/ui/. Excelent service
Sadly the kit does not contain sand which is usful for used oil spillages. I always seem to get used oil on the ground when removing the sump plug. Almost had a shower in it this morning while lying on the ground removing the sump plug - it gushes out. Anyway I was prepared with some bags of sand purchased during the Winter. A little sand really does clean up an oil pool on the ground!
The diesel filter comes with clear instructions in pictoral form printed on it so no problems there. Before removing the old filter I filled the new one with diesel. I was trying to prop it up against the back wheel while I removed the old one but was finding it hard to get it to balance. My daughter, who has Down Syndrome, handed me the box that the filter came in and told me to put the filter in the box. Problem solved - one upright filter full of diesel, until next doors cat landed on the scene. More sand, great stuff.
When fitting the diesel filter I found it best to lie down and look up at the housing. It is very easy to see where the fitting lugs on the new filter fit.
The airfilter was easily changed but I find refitting the top of the filterbox a real awkward job.I was contemplating removing the wing or filter box at one stage. Whoever designed this Machiavellian contraption probably never changed an airfilter on a Puma.
Ah yes, the usefulness of sand....... 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #309530 19th Feb 2014 4:08pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Thumbs Up

http://www.drainplug.co.uk/accessories.html If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #309540 19th Feb 2014 5:05pm
spudfan

Ireland 
Thumbs Up Thumbs Up 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
Post #309542 19th Feb 2014 5:08pm
milesr3

2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Keswick Green
When I put a new air filter in mine I also found it really difficult to get the top back on the airbox. Thought I had it back on at one stage but noticed it wasn't latched along the edge under the wing. In the end I realised that you had to push the element down into the bottom half of the airbox in order to slide the top back into the catches under the wing.
Post #309548 19th Feb 2014 5:38pm
Norm4n

United Kingdom 
I would do transfer boxes if you didn't do them

My local independent said he's found lots of water contaminated oil recently with people 'flood wading'
Post #309583 19th Feb 2014 7:25pm
spudfan

Ireland 
Did the gearboxes last service. Have not done any wading since then Thumbs Up 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
Post #309599 19th Feb 2014 7:55pm
spudfan

Ireland 
milesr3 wrote:
When I put a new air filter in mine I also found it really difficult to get the top back on the airbox. Thought I had it back on at one stage but noticed it wasn't latched along the edge under the wing. In the end I realised that you had to push the element down into the bottom half of the airbox in order to slide the top back into the catches under the wing.

The lid is wonderfully easy to fit without the airfilter in place! Rolling with laughter Will give the pushing bit a go next service. Thumbs Up 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
Post #309725 19th Feb 2014 10:45pm
AlanH

Australia 
When I bought my Puma it had been serviced entirely by one of the 2 stealers here in Perth WA. Air filter box top was not on properly and had allowed water (from a rare downpour) to soak completely the back end of the filter.
Off I went and spoke to the service manager who immediately gave me a new one and I fitted it myself a couple of hours later.
The trick is to fit the element into the box lid and whilst leaning on the wing keep the end furthest from you tipped up and slide it (the top cover and filter) under the wing towards you. When it stops because of the filter hitting the front edge use your fingers to tuck the element "leaves" back towards you and it will gently slide down and the back of the top will fit nicely under the catches and the job is done.
Now carry on getting oil all over the garage floor and you'll be happy.
AlanH.
Post #312275 28th Feb 2014 10:21am
spudfan

Ireland 
Thumbs Up Thumbs Up 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
Post #312394 28th Feb 2014 7:00pm
AWOL

K9F wrote:
Thumbs Up

http://www.drainplug.co.uk/accessories.html

That's really useful. I'll check the prices (Stahlbus do something similar)... probably going to fit one at first oil change as I like doing an intermediate change before the "official" scheduled ones. Oil is cheap compared to engines!
Post #312512 1st Mar 2014 8:26am
Mack

2008 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Chawton White
Taking advantage of this home service post, my next service is very near and I was planning to do it at home. I was considering leaving the sump plug and filter off overnight to completely drain the engine oil. Any thoughts opinion or advice on this? Should I do it with the engine warm like they do at the stealers or should I do it cold.
Thanks mates

Appreciate it
Post #312777 2nd Mar 2014 4:55am
AWOL

I always drain when the oil is a little warm so that it flows better BUT not at full operating temperature in case I end up with it all over hands.

No advantage of leaving the plug out overnight. By the time most of the flow has stopped you'd only have a relatively small amount of oil left in. Say you get 100ml more out, you'll be adding (at a guess) 5l or so of fresh oil, then that's only 2% old oil.
Post #312787 2nd Mar 2014 7:44am
AlanH

Australia 
Yes always do it warm as more of the junk will be floating and should flush out better. Just make sure your pan is well placed and undo plug at an angle where it won't go over you or up/down your arm. Sad
I always let it drain while I remove/replace the filter, clean or replace the air filter and generally muck about under there not forgetting of course to grease what nipples I can get at. Any I miss I do when the oils back in.
At least you'll know it's all done and will have saved a heap at the same time......more to spend down the pub.
AlanH.
Post #312805 2nd Mar 2014 9:24am
rossy

Ireland 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Stornoway Grey
another little tip that works for me is not to take off the oil filler cap until you have undone the sump plug. It means that the initial flow of oil doesn't come out in a mad rush. Thumbs Up

I'm going to let the dealer change my fuel filter this year. I managed it OK last year (with forum advice) but flippin heck - diesel everywhere !
Post #312846 2nd Mar 2014 11:38am
AlanH

Australia 
You really shouldn't get diesel every where Rossy if you fill it to just about 20mils of the top. That's what I did recently then started her up and let it tick over normally for a couple of minutes.
When I do long trips in to remote areas if I will need to change the fuel filter I shall carry a spare plus just enough fuel to do the top up.
AlanH.
Post #313358 4th Mar 2014 9:46am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>