↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > MY 13 Defender 90,..Annoying Rattle?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
steve E

Wales 
Hi Pickles
I had the very same nut washer thing on the floor of my 110 when a week old.
I couldnt find where it came from so just popped it in the cubby box and its been there for over a year now and nothing has fallen off.
it was exactly the same one though Shocked

steve
Post #332966 23rd May 2014 9:48am
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
Steve e,.Thanks.
Here in Aus, there's not many that pull Defenders apart,...compared to the UK. It's just with that in mind, I would've thoght that someone in the UK would have encountered this item when doing various mods etc, pulling windows out, removing trim, taking hardtops off the tub etc etc?
Pickles.
Post #332976 23rd May 2014 10:23am
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Think about it logically and there really are limited possibilities as to where it's from. As has been said it's very likely to be off one of the numerous hardtop roof / side securing bolts and more likely the angle bracket bolted midway along the bottom edge of the side panel and body capping. The only way to be 100% sure is to explore behind the plastic side trim. Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #332984 23rd May 2014 11:17am
Killer90
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Fuji White
Im half way through strippng down a brand new defender for a customer. I just looked and thought, got it Thumbs Up but its different Big Cry it looks like the nut that holds the side panel to the tub CSK Automotive
www.cskautomotive.co.uk
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/csklr
Follow us on Instagram - @cskautomotive
Post #332986 23rd May 2014 11:37am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
X4SKP

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Hello Pickles

Huuummm... interesting.

As Defender owners we all know (or will soon know on ownership) that noises come and go on a regular
basis, an engineer will tell you that 'noise is the manifestation of wear' or probably in this case
'something moving that shouldn't'.

My Def' last week started to give off an annoying sound, which has similarities to your original description.

When driving a hitting anything reasonably hard on the nearside, and the UK currently has more potholes
than people, there is a 'clunk' somewhere around or within the nearside front passenger door (mines a 90).
If you thump the glass just above the door skin on the outside you can replicate the sound exactly, also you can get close to replicating it by doing the same on the inside. My 'control thump' is that I get nothing on the drivers side.

I have found no loose nuts with captive washers, of the type you describe, that fall into the category of either
'was fitted and has fallen off' or 'should be fitted somewhere, and I'll come back to this latter' (JLR Question )

But I am reasonably sure for me it's within the door, so door card off and a progressive search / elimination of all things assembled is my next step, maybe electric window mechanism, but maybe not.

You say yours has stopped now Question this may be good but on balance I like problems that come and stay
as you stand more chance of tracking them down, and ones that go away have a habit of coming back Crying or Very sad

good luck, SKIP
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic83242.html
Post #332989 23rd May 2014 11:54am
Cracka

2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Fuji White
Pickles wrote:
Steve e,.Thanks.
Here in Aus, there's not many that pull Defenders apart,...compared to the UK. It's just with that in mind, I would've thoght that someone in the UK would have encountered this item when doing various mods etc, pulling windows out, removing trim, taking hardtops off the tub etc etc?
Pickles.

Pickles,

See my post at the bottom of page 1, this will be your answer I'd near put money on it.......

The only thing I haven't pulled out of mine so far to do mods is the dash......I let Lennocks in Canberra do that to replace the aircon component Very Happy that was dodgy.
Post #333011 23rd May 2014 12:52pm
steve E

Wales 
Hi Cracka

so did they leave it in my car to fit myself Laughing

Thanks for the info, Ill take a look over the weekend.

Steve e Thumbs Up
Post #333019 23rd May 2014 1:58pm
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
Thanks everyone for their input, particularly Chris for posting up the image.
How hard is it to take of that plastic trim. Like I've said before on this forum, I'm absolutely useless at any practical stuff, so I'd have to rely on the Dealer to take it off & replace, but I'd hate it to be damaged/marked in the process?
Cheers, Pickles.
Post #333147 24th May 2014 3:39am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12