↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Keep it simple: LED headlights and too much technology
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
H3nry

United Kingdom 
Please enlighten me, the speakers are giving lifetime warranty right??
Post #322955 10th Apr 2014 7:05pm
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
Yes, you're right - they have a lifetime limited manufacturer's warranty but I think Mobilecentre give 5 years "gold service" warranty (they've certainly been very good to me).

Here in Germany everything has a 2 year warranty but in the first year the onus is on the supplier to prove that the defect isn't their fault and in the second year the onus is on the buyer to prove that it is. It's much tougher getting justice after the first year has expired.

Apple print "one year warranty" on their boxes but in Germany it's really two Thumbs Up Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #322963 10th Apr 2014 7:30pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Function over form! I have had to do a lot of modifications to mine to get them watertight. Lifetime warranty maybe but the inconvenience of going into bat to get them exchanged for something that may continue to give you grief is not worth it. The 'valve' that allows the lamps to breathe is just a poxy piece of yellow fabric tape 'dot sized' that allows too much moisture into the light. I too now have white powdery deposits in my lenses which is indicative of something corroding. The lights themselves still provide excellent service and fantastic light. Would I buy them again considering the other options and higher IP rating available.....

Probably not!

The Noldens are also German Engineered which in my view isn't such a bad thing! Whistle If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #322966 10th Apr 2014 7:44pm
ZeDefender

"Probably not"

Aahh - so you've still got a soft spot for them then Laughing Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
Post #322969 10th Apr 2014 8:00pm
K9F

Leaning towards 'definately' in lieu of 'probably' but the other options weren't available at the time of purchase. They are damn good with a view to 'vehicular illumination' over OEM but there are now possibly better available. Need to do more research and make a decision before next Winter when the deluge will return. Either that or remove my modifications, return the JWS to standard and buy a couple of goldfish! I no longer have moisture ingress but the lights to me are no longer the same. (Mild OCD is to blame).

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #322971 10th Apr 2014 8:09pm
shaggydog

United Kingdom 1991 Defender 110 200 Tdi USW Arles Blue
Meanwhile my filament bulbs continue to work flawlessly and have done since the day I got them...... Whistle
Post #322972 10th Apr 2014 8:14pm
K9F

Pleased for you Shaggy, thank you for your 'valuable contribution.' Thumbs Up Whistle

The 'irksome dot' otherwise technically called the 'goretex breather' in the sales blurb is featured on page 4 of this thread if anyone is remotely interested and as mentioned in reality is just a piece of tape. There is a fix, relatively easy to do but best to carry it out before moisture gets in.

Whistle

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic25769.html If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #322973 10th Apr 2014 8:19pm
shaggydog

United Kingdom 1991 Defender 110 200 Tdi USW Arles Blue
Hehe tongue firmly in cheek I can assure you, though it is a low tech solution Very Happy

Does make for very interesting reading though!!
Post #322975 10th Apr 2014 8:41pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
K9F, to see more detail including the input voltage of 9 - 32 volts you need to look at page 44 of their product catalogue here

For the Speaker input voltage of 11.4 - 32 volts look here

Zedefender, we run both Noldens and Speaker 8700 in our vehicles. We have not experienced condensation in the Noldens. To date I have not heard of condensation in any Nolden light or any warranty issue/claim.

Brendan
Post #322977 10th Apr 2014 8:54pm
ZeDefender

Thanks Brendan.

TBH I was actually happy when I found out the Speaker voltage requirements were so picky - for a while I was convinced I was going mad with all the flickering Rolling Eyes Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
Post #322978 10th Apr 2014 8:58pm
Macpaul

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Loire Blue
My Speakers flickered out of the box in my 2003 Td5. I have 12.1v at the battery after an overnight rest.

Tim at Mobilecentre tested my car and told me I had 10.7v at the headlight socket, so a 1.4v drop just due to the resistance of the wiring. I think he said flickering would start at anything much below 11v.

He made an overlay loom which now gives me 11.4v at the socket and no more flickering. (Not for free I hasten to add).

I still think the Speakers' main beam is hopeless for a lamp costing more than my first car, but now I've added a pair of PIAA Xtreme White Plus lamps (halogens) on the front as well, and all is good.

The PIAAs don't actually throw any further than the Speakers but they fill in a lot of countryside that the limited cutoff of the Speakers misses. 2003 Td5 110 Hardtop
Now a 2013 110 USW too.
Post #322979 10th Apr 2014 9:00pm
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
I have the piaas in my green 110 with crystal bowls Thumbs Up About 5 years old and flawless ..
Post #322999 10th Apr 2014 9:44pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12