↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Pictures & Video > Currently Off Road...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
X4SKP

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Currently Off Road...
Hello all, I was reading the article ‘field of broken dreams’ in LRM (Jan 2014 edition) and remembered a farm not far from me in West Berkshire that looked to have a similar story. I have passed it many times, just getting a glimpse over the hedge of the familiar roof lines, so decided to pull in and take a look. A sorry collection of Land Rovers were scattered around in the far corner. It’s a fine line between the initial ‘storage’ of this kind, and vehicles effectively becoming abandoned. Some may make it to become ‘restoration projects’ but a few look to be past the point of no return; although I know some love a challenge! There was a Freelander and Discovery there too, but my camera got selective at this point! There is good working Series on the way in which maybe gives some hope.

It is often claimed that 75% of all Land Rovers ever built remain on the road, I take this to comprise mainly of the Series/TDIs/Defenders, so are there significant numbers to be found making up this 25% that are currently Off Road?

Click image to enlarge

it's a sad line up...

Click image to enlarge

initially it's difficult to see if it's a 90 or 110...

Click image to enlarge

clearly not beyond hope...

Click image to enlarge

the best project there...

Click image to enlarge

going nowhere this one...

Click image to enlarge

salvage only here too...

Click image to enlarge

good to see one resisting...

Click image to enlarge

time to leave but, that green Series Soft Top had made an impression... SKIP
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic83242.html
Post #291612 19th Dec 2013 11:57am
lambert.the.farmer

England 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi PU Rutland Red
I trust you found someone to talk to and ask permission from to post pictures on the Internet? Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #291614 19th Dec 2013 12:41pm
Diablo

1984 Defender 90 200 Tdi SW Keswick Green
I think I know where that is - near Grazeley?

Popped by there a few times, there's a bloke who rents a unit who fixes Landys and the unit is stuffed with bits too.

but yes, plenty in hedges, there used to be a S1 too.
Post #291624 19th Dec 2013 1:50pm
Romadog

Diablo you're right, I just checked on Google maps. I called there many years ago. There is a Series 1. X4SKP posted a photo above.
Post #291630 19th Dec 2013 2:12pm
X4SKP

Hello lambert the farmer

Yes.

The owner works from an outbuilding and provides Land Rover repairs Make or Break.

I was given permission both to photograph and post. I decided not reveal the location,
or his contact details, although he was happy for me to do so.

If anyone wants this, please send me a PM and I will point you towards a potential restoration project. SKIP
Post #291634 19th Dec 2013 2:31pm
Thor

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
X4SKP,

Lovely looking 90 Thumbs Up

From your location and BLR on your plate I'm guessing you work there? Or have you bought one of their vehicles?

I've seen a BLR 110 a few times and always been impressed. Not how I would choose to have mine, but still VERY nice and from the photos guess yours is of a similar standard. Strong people are harder to kill and generally more useful!
Post #291672 19th Dec 2013 5:48pm
X4SKP

Hello Thor

Thanks, I am a customer of BLR not employee, and hopefully have a personalised not 'pimped' defender, very subjective any modifications away from the original LR offering but for me that's one of the draws of owning a defender, beyond being a supremely capably vehicle, it is not a case of 'look don't touch', you can more than most vehicles tailor it to what you want.

I have had the 90 for 2 months now, and love it, the L90 BLR plate is owned by them and is currently being transferred back via the DVLA. SKIP
Post #291938 20th Dec 2013 2:38pm
lambert.the.farmer

England 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi PU Rutland Red
I wasn't having a go its just we all want to avoid advertising our prides and joys to the unscrupulous that was all. I'm sure that some of these cars will live again. Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #291977 20th Dec 2013 4:59pm
Thor

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
X4SKP wrote:
Hello Thor

Thanks, I am a customer of BLR not employee, and hopefully have a personalised not 'pimped' defender, very subjective any modifications away from the original LR offering but for me that's one of the draws of owning a defender, beyond being a supremely capably vehicle, it is not a case of 'look don't touch', you can more than most vehicles tailor it to what you want.

I have had the 90 for 2 months now, and love it, the L90 BLR plate is owned by them and is currently being transferred back via the DVLA.

Skip,

Totally agree mate. I'm all up for people pimping, after all it's yours!! I only 'choose' not to have mine personalised in a similar way because I'd need 2. One like my 110 that's allowed to get scratched and smell of dog etc and another for 'best'. My previous car, well VW Transporter, was done in a similar way, probably more pimped than personalised, totally immaculate, leathered everywhere, lowered, 20inch alloys and carbon bonnet etc etc. I absolutely loved it but was always worried about scratches, kerbed wheels and all the other stuff that comes with having something nice. When it was stolen I decided the next car would/could be less immaculate. Strong people are harder to kill and generally more useful!
Post #291999 20th Dec 2013 6:58pm
X4SKP

Hello lambert the farmer

That's ok no offence taken. You asked the right question.

We are surrounded by farms here and security is a pre occupation for all farmers or sub tenants. Houses too with outbuildings, or anyone with 'equipment' on show, or hidden, all have to decide on their level of security...
(multiple layers, depending on the risk would seem to be the current best practice to follow). SKIP
Post #292009 20th Dec 2013 7:16pm
X4SKP

Click image to enlarge

One day someone will come... SKIP
Post #315364 11th Mar 2014 10:48pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1