↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > 2.2.Coolant level dropped a little - fault or settling down?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Natlas

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
2.2.Coolant level dropped a little - fault or settling down?
Has anybody else had this problem? My coolant has dropped about 40 mm since new in two steps. It's now done 7,400 miles. It's had three trips to the stealer who says each time he has pressure tested, checked for head gasket leak, used some kind of sniffing thing, and never been able to find a leak anywhere.

Long term the thought of a coolant issue concerns me hence I am curious to see if anyone else has had a similar problem on a new Puma?

I have heard of coolant setlement in ano engine due to an airlock being flushed out (rare though) and wondered if maybe we could suffer a similar situation?

All ideas welcome, thanks. Thud 2.2 90 XS
88" Series One
Old Norton Smile
Minerva
Post #287372 3rd Dec 2013 6:59pm
Cuthbert

If you are losing coolant chances are there is a leak somewhere - might simply be a loose hose clip or the cap isn't seated/seating properly - or you have a porous hose (but usually you get some tell-tale marks) or maybe a gasket has gone somewhere?

Start with the simple things like top up the system with the correct grade of coolant (note the date and keep an eye on it over a period of time). Also work your way round doing a visual inspection of all the connections - beware of over-tightening any clips as you go. You will probably strike lucky quite quickly!
Post #287390 3rd Dec 2013 7:41pm
spudfan

Ireland 
It's been mentioned here that the coolant in the expansion tank settles to a level slightly below the Full mark then stays there.Could be a faulty cap if it is you will see dried coolant marks on the outside of the plastic expansion tank.If it has settled to a level not far off the full mark it'll be O.K. If it keeps dropping you have a leak in the system.As the dealer has pressurised the system and given the all clear you should be alright.Mark the level with a marker and you'll know if it keeps dropping. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #287406 3rd Dec 2013 8:25pm
WelshGas

Wales 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Don't forget that if you are checking coolant levels when cold then this will vary with the ambient temperature. Also check the threads of the pressure cap, are they wet ? If so the pressure cap may not be seeking properly. One other point , the "level" mark is not totally accurate, and sometimes if filled to that mark the system will vent excess coolant until the "maximum" level for that system is reached. Mine is about 4mm below the level line and has stayed at that level for the past 4 years when checked during the winter cold period. The difference is less during the summer. Thumbs Up LANDYWATCH

Neighbourhood Watch for Land Rover Owners

http://www.landywatch.co.uk/smf2/index.php
Post #287409 3rd Dec 2013 8:32pm
Natlas

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Thanks for the feedback guys.
Still very interested to hear if others have had such an event and if it settled down.

Thumbs Up 2.2 90 XS
88" Series One
Old Norton Smile
Minerva
Post #287780 4th Dec 2013 11:16pm
Mjibex

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Loire Blue
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic23814.html

Yes - not bothering to top up now - will see how I get on!

Tried a new cap - no different. Mine is definitely coming out the cap.

Mark.
Post #287792 4th Dec 2013 11:43pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1