↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Memory Map on Samsung
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
d j hutton

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
Memory Map on Samsung
Anybody using memory map on the Samsung galaxy tab 7" ?

Not strictly in car I know. Whistle

I have it working on my ipad, iPhone and mirrored on the Clarion head unit , its just that when out walking the ipad is a tad to large and the iPhone a bit small, so I thought at a low price of £139 it might be worth a try rather than an ipad mini.

Anyone have any experience of it on the tab I'd be interested to hear how it works (also general feed back on the tab anyway)

Cheers

Dj 1989 200tdi 90 csw
2011 110 usw Orkney grey

Buy British 🇬🇧

Defender Clothing Designs available at http://www.rangesports.com/acatalog/Defender-Stuff.html
Post #249335 5th Jul 2013 6:09pm
Inigo

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
I have a Samsung galaxy tab 7.7 that I bought for just this purpose. Haven't really used it in anger yet but seems to work ok. I have had to use MM tracker rather than memory map itself to use all my older maps.
Also use copilo t for on road satnav and that works really well.
I found a NOS dash mount from the SVX that I managed to cobble together with the Samsung windscreen mount and it sits there quite nicely.
Post #249395 5th Jul 2013 9:28pm
excossack

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 SW Caledonian Blue
I've installed it on a Galaxy Tab 2 10" and works fine. I did find the MM Tracker is no longer available for download via the AppStore, but managed to find a copy lurking around the web. 1999 Defender TD5 110

Regards
John M0VAZ
Econet Station 48 no clock
Post #249573 6th Jul 2013 6:01pm
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
I've got View ranger on my 7" Samsung Tab- and it works really well- the built in GPS worked better than my partners Ipad.
We used it in anger in pea soup fog off road in the middle of Dartmoor during 10Tors recently Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #249575 6th Jul 2013 6:22pm
borderterrier

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Was looking at giving MM a whirl on my iPad mini, but having read the reviews for it in the app store I am a bit unsure, any thoughts?
Post #249609 6th Jul 2013 9:04pm
excossack

I know of one person who runs MM on their Ipad and he likes it. One solution, give it a whirl? 1999 Defender TD5 110

Regards
John M0VAZ
Post #249620 6th Jul 2013 9:33pm
borderterrier

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
excossack wrote:
I know of one person who runs MM on their Ipad and he likes it. One solution, give it a whirl?

might do, I just hate paying for stuff that doesn't perform as it should or you have to buy add ons to make it work
Post #249626 6th Jul 2013 9:52pm
excossack

Is MM Tracker / Memory Map app still available for the Ipad? I like the MM Tracker app on the Samsung S2. I had to buy a bigger card for all the maps! 1999 Defender TD5 110

Regards
John M0VAZ
Post #249632 6th Jul 2013 10:11pm
d j hutton

Thanks for the replies, so it sounds like the 7" samsung would do the job for walking Thumbs Up

I quite like the app on ipad/phone - seems to work quite well. They do seem to have some odd 'rules' re using previously purchased maps, but I think my current ones will work ok on the android app - we'll see.

Looks like there is a new 7" coming shortly so the current version is dropping in price Whistle

Dj 1989 200tdi 90 csw
2011 110 usw Orkney grey

Buy British 🇬🇧

Defender Clothing Designs available at http://www.rangesports.com/acatalog/Defender-Stuff.html
Post #249650 7th Jul 2013 12:11am
ellebarto

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
I had been using an ipad with Memory Map and was really pleased with it but it needed an external GPS and I just found that a pain. I moved over to a Galaxy Tab when work got them and as that has inbuilt GPS I've found it brilliant.

I did have a nightmare getting my licensed copy of memory map and maps onto the tablet but found this guide that helped me.

http://geekanddummy.com/how-to-how-to-get-...sung-note/ Check out my YouTube channel for green laning and Land Rover "how to" videos.
Post #250480 10th Jul 2013 1:24pm
d j hutton

ellebarto wrote:
I had been using an ipad with Memory Map and was really pleased with it but it needed an external GPS and I just found that a pain. I moved over to a Galaxy Tab when work got them and as that has inbuilt GPS I've found it brilliant.

I did have a nightmare getting my licensed copy of memory map and maps onto the tablet but found this guide that helped me.

http://geekanddummy.com/how-to-how-to-get-...sung-note/

Thanks for that, useful info. I guess you had a non 3g ipad with no gps?

Samsung Galaxy seems a good option then although Google Nexus & seems very well thought go as well, newer version of android, more memory, better screen but no sd slot - mm? Need to have a look at a couple and see what they look like.

Cheers

DJ 1989 200tdi 90 csw
2011 110 usw Orkney grey

Buy British 🇬🇧

Post #250486 10th Jul 2013 1:45pm
ellebarto

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
I think the Samsung is the nicest all round tablet out there at the moment stacking up price, features and usability. This from a die hard apple fan as well.

The ipad on 3G proved useless when I was i the Welsh hills. It needed the 3G signal to make the GPS work it seemed. I didn't preserver with it for too long but it failed where the Samsung didn't!

Quality of the GPS is what its about I guess. No point the tablet being great if it cant connect or if it costs you £30 in data for a days use.

Well that's my theory anyway! Whistle Check out my YouTube channel for green laning and Land Rover "how to" videos.
Post #250487 10th Jul 2013 1:51pm
d j hutton

I think I'd agree on the Samsung, reviews are always hard to get to the bottom of and its one persons opinion - also die hard apple fan with ipad /iphone already.

I think the problem with 3g versions is the AGPS looks for help from mobile masts etc initially to find a signal and then looks for the satellites , this means if you are in an out of signal area it takes ages sometimes to establish a first fix, after that it's usually ok. I run my ipad with 3G turned off most of the time and it seems to work better than the iPhone with 3G switched on.

The Samsung (assuming a wifi verison) bypasses the assisted part (and can be set up to do so) and I would hazard a guess that's why it may be quicker/better at sorting out where you are.

Useful link thanks for setting up MM licensed version, I'd heard some people had a few problems with that, especially if storing the maps on an sd card rather than internal memory.

Birthday coming up Thumbs Up quite a good free pad deal at Carphone Warehouse at the moment if you need a new phone contract (which I do!) as low as £13 per month gets you a phone, some minutes and a 'free' samsung tab 2 - might be worth looking at.

DJ

DJ 1989 200tdi 90 csw
2011 110 usw Orkney grey

Buy British 🇬🇧

Post #250495 10th Jul 2013 2:39pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1