↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > I need an alternative to the Parrot Asteroid.....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
JSG

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
custom90steve wrote:
^^^^ Parrot seems to be very popular too. Only downside is that it's stand-alone and also has a ton of wiring to fit into the back. Well what I have seen did.. Equally seem to work well though. Smile

I don't think you read the link - there is no wiring at all Rolling Eyes

And stand alone is a benefit as you can use it in other vehicles. John

http://www.hampshire4x4response.co.uk

2011 Tdci 110 CSW XS
Post #226396 11th Apr 2013 6:44pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
db950

United Kingdom 1997 Defender 110 300 Tdi HT Nato Green
I've just bought an Alpine unit. http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/...yId_165474

Does everything you want I think including voice control, comes with ext mic, connects to my iPhone 5 and iPod ok and no cd drawer to fill with dust!! Cheap as chips as well!!!! 1997 Ex-MOD 110, Pop Top Camper, build thread https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic72352.html
2014 Discovery 4 SE Tech
Instagram @the110camper
Post #226496 11th Apr 2013 11:51pm
stewalex1984

2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Santorini Black
Hi All,

I've had my 110 Utility now for just over a month and I'm so close to flinging the Parrot Asteroid out the window whilst travelling at speed!

I'm also looking for a replacement head unit, would however like a flip up screen. Anyone got good experience with a unit incorporating all the usual spec, Sat Nav, Hands free etc. Not too fussed on voice activation, but would like to integrate a reverse camera to it as well if possible to assist with trailer hitching.

As always, any recommendations would be gratefully received. Will be upgrading all the stereo equipment as well, I'm sure I'll find plenty of threads on that though.

Thanks
Post #227134 14th Apr 2013 12:59pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
^^ 'Stereo upgrade' will reveal 43 threads on the subject by using the search facility. Thumbs Up

I don't understand what all the fuss is about? I've had a Parrot Asteroid for two months short of two years and it does everything I want it to do. Maybe my 'expectations' are lower than everybody else's?

I was wondering if the numerous software upgrades are the root of the problems as I have only ever carried out the first upgrade and won't be doing any others. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" maybe the best ethos after all perhaps? If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #227136 14th Apr 2013 1:05pm
stewalex1984

K9F wrote:
^^ 'Stereo upgrade' will reveal 43 threads on the subject by using the search facility. Thumbs Up

I don't understand what all the fuss is about? I've had a Parrot Asteroid for two months short of two years and it does everything I want it to do. Maybe my 'expectations' are lower than everybody else's?

I was wondering if the numerous software upgrades are the root of the problems as I have only ever carried out the first upgrade and won't be doing any others. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" maybe the best ethos after all perhaps?

I Carried out a 350mile round trip on Friday...............for around 150 miles of that it was in silence as the unit continually crashes or freezes. Its a shame as it could almost provide everything I need. Haven't even looked into the software update yet, nor do I have any idea how to do it! Will have a look at that first in case an update removes my hatred for this unit.

Pleased to hear someone likes it.

Do you know if it has an AV input that I could link a camera to? If not I guess the best solution might be a roof console with drop screen?

Thanks,
Post #227138 14th Apr 2013 1:23pm
K9F

Advertises the latest software download as 'Severe Crash Fixes' may be all you need. I still won't be downloading it as mentioned as I don't seem to be experiencing any issues.

Linky Fingy:

http://www.parrot.com/uk/products/hands-fr...t-asteroid If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #227154 14th Apr 2013 3:30pm
stewalex1984

K9F wrote:
Advertises the latest software download as 'Severe Crash Fixes' may be all you need. I still won't be downloading it as mentioned as I don't seem to be experiencing any issues.

Linky Fingy:

http://www.parrot.com/uk/products/hands-fr...t-asteroid

Superb, will let you know if this makes a difference.

Thanks
Post #227156 14th Apr 2013 4:07pm
RobKeay

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Yeah I have had one since they came out. I have had it crash two or three times but that is it. I've never upgraded mine ether. I use it every day for radio, Bluetooth music streaming and many telephone calls. I just push the button say home and it rings the wife. No one complains about the hands free even with the window down.

I would be nervous about upgrading the software after all the bad reports.

Also on a separate note I've never managed to get google maps to work.
Post #227159 14th Apr 2013 4:20pm
K9F

RobKeay wrote:

Me too! BPman carried out his software upgrades religously and his became knackered as well! Never did get any feedback what he did with it or whether he upgraded to something else.

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17844.html?highlight=parrot If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #227163 14th Apr 2013 4:51pm
jimhcatlover

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Aintree Green
stewalex1984 wrote:

I'm also looking for a replacement head unit, would however like a flip up screen. Anyone got good experience with a unit incorporating all the usual spec, Sat Nav, Hands free etc. Not too fussed on voice activation, but would like to integrate a reverse camera to it as well if possible to assist with trailer hitching.

As always, any recommendations would be gratefully received. Will be upgrading all the stereo equipment as well, I'm sure I'll find plenty of threads on that though.

Thanks

I have just installed a Kenwood KVT-526DVD along with a Kenwood reversing camera. Steve kindly helped me with the installation and I'm really pleased with the results.
I wired my camera up to a spare HRW switch which I fitted in a spare position instead of using the reversing light switch, as I wanted to be able to view the camera without having to be in reverse. The switch cost about 8 but I also had to buy the wiring plug which was about another 5. I ran the camera cable up the A post and under the headlining to the camera, which is mounted above the waster jet.
You can add bt phone, nav and tv modules to the hu. Steve knows a lot more about Kenwood stuff than me though.
Post #227302 14th Apr 2013 9:09pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
jimhcatlover wrote:
Steve knows a lot more about Kenwood stuff than me though.

I don't know I think you did a good job already with the switch and what not. The 526 is really nice though I like it a lot.
Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #227304 14th Apr 2013 9:12pm
JSG

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
K9F wrote:
RobKeay wrote:

Me too! BPman carried out his software upgrades religously and his became knackered as well! Never did get any feedback what he did with it or whether he upgraded to something else.

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17844.html?highlight=parrot

I had three of them - the first one crashed after 24 hours and wouldn't reset, I had it swapped out and that one lasted a week before the same total lock up. The third crashed after four days so I gave up and got a refund.

Great product but Censored quality. John

http://www.hampshire4x4response.co.uk

2011 Tdci 110 CSW XS
Post #228057 17th Apr 2013 9:39am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
stewalex1984

stewalex1984 wrote:
K9F wrote:

Linky Fingy:

http://www.parrot.com/uk/products/hands-fr...t-asteroid

Superb, will let you know if this makes a difference.

Thanks

The update has made a big difference (so far).

No crashes since Sunday when I updated it and far better menu control and some improved features.

Maybe they have finally got it working.

Any change I'll let you know.
Post #228109 17th Apr 2013 12:40pm
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
mines in the original box in the garage, it lasted about 18 months. i've just kept the focal i20 sub and put the LR radio back in ... unlikely to be nicked and for the acoustics of a land rover defender, sounds just fine.

i liked the functionality of the parrot but i don't drive the 110 much so i don't miss it. i think i'd go for a garmin satnav with BT phone functionality if I were to be in a spendy mood... but my time is wrapped up in lens procurement at the moment
Post #228127 17th Apr 2013 1:32pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12