↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > JW Speaker 8700 LED Lamps MOT Failure
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
I can confirm Tim is on the mend and intended to be back "at work" today (albeit very gently, I'd imagine). Kudos to Toni has been doing a terrific job holding the fort at Mobilecentre in the interim. It's great to have such people looking after our needs and wants Thumbs Up

If the NS light only failed on height adjustment, it can't be an "approval" problem with the lamp design as a whole.
I would suggest it may be harder (perversely) to adjust the 8700s for MOT testing than the original lights. The original light pattern is quite diffuse so aiming allows for some "artistic license", whereas if the LEDs are even slightly out it's bloody obvious. Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #207506 1st Feb 2013 11:24pm
davew

England 1990 Defender 90 V8 Petrol PU Auto Rioja Red
K9F wrote:
davew wrote:
You don't say why the lights were failed... or did I miss that bit ???

Yes you missed it! One was alignment the other beam pattern....

In a nutshell.....

jav-uk wrote:
NSF Headlamp aim to high
OSF Headlamp aim beam image obviously incorrect..

Oh yeah, can't see for looking sometimes Smile

I think light "spread" is one of the things the MOT people have been told to concentrate on at the moment, something to do with people fitting aftermarket bulbs that mess up the beam pattern of standard lenses. http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net/
Post #207508 2nd Feb 2013 12:06am
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
If your mate has an mot place why not ask him to check the alignment again for you?
Post #207510 2nd Feb 2013 12:59am
jav-uk

England 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Alpine White
[quote="davew"][quote="K9F"]
davew wrote:

I think light "spread" is one of the things the MOT people have been told to concentrate on at the moment, something to do with people fitting aftermarket bulbs that mess up the beam pattern of standard lenses.

I did wonder if this may be the case. I have been blinded in the past by HID's that are clearly illegal.
I think my issue is condensation in the OSF lamp. It's much worse than I realised. Checking this morning the whole lens is full of water droplets and fogged.
Post #207536 2nd Feb 2013 9:25am
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
You're not the only person to experience this and with a little patience and time you can possibly do something about it yourself, I have no issues with mine but I treated them to a little extra sealing. Alternatively see about getting a replacement. If your's is as bad as depicted in the thread below Tim offers a replacement.....Sorted!!!!!

Thread linky: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic7192.html?highlight=ingress

K9F wrote:
I know this is an old thread but in case anyone else experiences any issue with moisture ingress....The lenses of the JW Speakers have a very thin rubber seal around the concealed edge and are spot-sealed at three points around the circumference. In your situation I would have suggested removing the lamp, take it indoors and perhaps placing it on a radiator thoroughly drying it out, then attempting to run a thin bead of sealant (would suggest marine grade Sikaflex 29i) around the edge of the lens without removing the lens from the lamp. This should prevent any further moisture ingress.
Also the original OEM Wipacs have a rubber boot on the rear of the unit which does not fit on the J W Speaker replacements, when connecting the J W speaker ones a small portion of the terminals are still visible....seal that too....you cannot use too little sealant in my book.
 If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #207541 2nd Feb 2013 9:57am
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
Three questions, if I may:

1) Are all these foggy lenses made of glass?
2) How many have been pressure washed?
3) Has anyone had foggy polycarbonate lenses?

I have "waterproof" Hella LED driving lights (not cheap) with poly lenses, but they fog up too Rolling Eyes

Matt Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #207551 2nd Feb 2013 10:32am
K9F

I think I may know where you're heading with this Matt. (I may be wrong and way off track though.) If it may be about the heat coefficiency between polycarbonate and glass perhaps?

Both lamps are I believe made the same and should effectively have exactly the same level of protection with regards to water ingress. If there's no moisture inside it shouldn't fog or condensate irrespective of what the lens is constructed from.

Me personally I would always choose glass over polycarbonate due to it's resistance to extreme conditions and scratching but the price you pay of course is it's brittleness to impact damage. I did 'pose' the preference question some time ago and Tim's response was.......

mobilecentre wrote:
Glass is the better material Thumbs Up
 If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #207560 2nd Feb 2013 11:00am
Lishlandy

England 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 X-Tech LE Orkney Grey
jav-uk wrote:
Thanks for all replies, sorry that Tim is not so well. Hope he's back fit asap.

MOT failed usual stuff, rear shocker bushes and wiper blades. Bushes can be done before warranty expires in two weeks.

I fitted the lamps myself, it's a straight forward replacement job and then took them over to a mate that run's his own MOT business and he tested them, he advised they were some of the best lamps he had seen. Very clean cut off and ultra bright.
So for them fail an MOT just two years later was a bit alarming. Shocked

I will replace them with the old units to get a pass and will try Tim to see about warranty replacement.

As my 110 is nearly out of warranty I decided it was best to let the stealer do the MOT, and pick up any warranty jobs.
Typical they fail lights that are aftermarket and the best upgrade you can put on your vehicle in my opinion.

Why didn't you go to your mate for an MOT? ===================================
Steve
90 xs sw in Stonoway Grey - Sold
110 USW X-TECH
Post #207563 2nd Feb 2013 11:19am
K9F

Lishlandy wrote:
Why didn't you go to your mate for an MOT?

Think he already stated why.....

jav-uk wrote:
As my 110 is nearly out of warranty I decided it was best to let the stealer do the MOT, and pick up any warranty jobs.

I think he did the right thing. Thumbs Up

I did exactly the same and went over it with a fine toothcombe and made a list....
I too then submitted my Landy early for it's MOT so the dealer would be obliged to sort any issues. I would probably 'visit' my mate first now though and get him to recheck alignment and beam pattern after sorting out the moisture ingress myself perhaps. If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #207567 2nd Feb 2013 11:55am
ClaireWright

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Keswick Green
I have the same headlights and Oscar passed his MOT today with no problem or issues
Post #207581 2nd Feb 2013 1:45pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12