↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Buying new
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
there are plenty of buyers out there for hardtops, it wouldn't be a something i would worry about. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #191422 6th Dec 2012 10:11pm
John.L

That sounds good. Probably shouldn't worry then. I do like the idea of getting a new one and choosing the items I want from the start. Just have to try to get a good discount from the dealer. My last Land Rover was a Series 3 so I figured new may be nice for a change!
Post #191423 6th Dec 2012 10:14pm
Knot Yet

England 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
From my experience, just this last month, selling a 90 utility privately and a 110 DC as part ex and not claiming the VAT at purchase made no difference to the sale price when we moved on, I wouldn't worry about it Thumbs Up Defender 110 Puma Utility XS
Post #191470 7th Dec 2012 1:56am
farmer giles

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Cairns Blue
i own a base model 110 station wagon and opted for air con and the winter pack because i too prefer the white roof and black spats with my tamar blue. i must admit i have never wanted/needed abs/traction control.

as a private buyer of 10 land rovers in 20 years, vat status of the seller doesnt register of concern; simply the condition (then the haggling starts)

i have found some dealers here to be disinterested in selling defenders, even if you are a cash buyer with £25k to spend !

as mentioned earlier by matt, have a call with the forum sponsors as they are genuinely interested
Post #191512 7th Dec 2012 10:24am
John.L

Good stuff, thanks for taking the time to reply. The info. I have gained here has certainly helped with my concerns. A very good forum indeed.

I thought the same, I prefer the traditional look with the white roof, white steel wheels and black arches. I thought the ABS/ETC would be worth adding for safety reasons, did a search here but people's opinions on that seemed to differ.

I think the cold climate pack with cloth seats would be nice for the winter, as would a radio.

Now I am looking at the tyre options for the steel wheels. They appear to currently be Michelin Latitude Cross, Michelin XZL or Goodyear MT/R. Does anyone have any experiece with the differences? We are after a good all round tyre which works on road but also in the fields, mud, snow etc. Have always liked the look of the XZL's, maybe it's the narrow but more chunky look.

Once again, thanks for all the help. I hope I am able to contribute here in the not-too-distant future too. I will certainly share my experiences of buying and the new vehicle.
Post #191527 7th Dec 2012 11:04am
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
John.L wrote:
I thought the ABS/ETC would be worth adding for safety reasons, did a search here but people's opinions on that seemed to differ.

farmer giles wrote:
i own a base model 110 station wagon and opted for air con and the winter pack because i too prefer the white roof and black spats with my tamar blue. i must admit i have never wanted/needed abs/traction control.

+1 - I bought a County because I didn't want Air Con or ABS. The ABS may or may not be worth having - personally, I think it's a complexity I can live without.

If ETC was my want, I would prefer an ATB...available from Ashcroft: http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/in...ductId=259

Great write-up here http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic13545.html

One day I may install an ATB...IMHO a nice solution to "traction control"... Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #191528 7th Dec 2012 11:11am
John.L

I thought the same but I have understood that as long as the warranty is valid, fitting any form of LSD/ATB diff. would cause warranty issues with other parts they may be able to make a connection with... e.g. all driveline components. It is a shame that Land Rover don't offer a mechanical LSD as an option!
Post #191535 7th Dec 2012 11:31am
farmer giles

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Cairns Blue
my michelin latitudes have been fine both on road and off road (supprisingly good at a icey/muddy pay and play in february) however when these wear out i will look to get some conti cross contacts. A set of new take off tyres and boost alloys go for around £850 - not sure what the factory option cost is.
the winter pack also comes with heated screen which i find useful when i am carrying wet, panting dogs!

the old radio was a poor effort if you like to listen to music and a waste of money on the options that i chose, but there is a change of radio model an i haven't heard it to comment.

the rear nas step i have always found useful, and if you get it dealer supplied then it is covered by the corrosion policy (mine was replaced free of charge after 20 months with rust showing).
Post #191536 7th Dec 2012 11:32am
John.L

Thank you. What would people here consider as "essential" additions to a base spec. 90 Hardtop? So far I have come up with the radio, front mud flaps, tow bar, + probably the ABS/ETC & the Cold Climate pack. The jury is out on the A/C option as it does cost a bit.
Post #191604 7th Dec 2012 2:39pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
tow bar & electrics, winter pack, ETC/ABS and that would do, assuming they all come with alarms CDL now? Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #191712 7th Dec 2012 10:23pm
JeremyJ

United Kingdom 
A/c is very useful, especially in the damp.

Small point, have you driven a Puma hard top? I struggle to fit in a hard top with the the rear bulkhead in. Truck cabs I don't fit in at all comfortably. Very different to a tdi/td5/any-other-per-puma-dash for space and whilst the searts are better than before they need the bulkhead removing to get comfortable. In my opinion!!
Post #191719 7th Dec 2012 10:52pm
AndyS

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Sumatra Black
It depends what you intend to do with the car. For me, who intends to drive all over the place, I wanted air con to sort the cabin temperature when driving through Europe and central locking when driving through places I shouldn't be driving through.

The trouble with the way they set out the packages is that by the time you've added the pack that adds air con and the pack that adds central locking you're not far from the price for a fully loaded XS. While the extras you get with the XS package might seem like a load of faff it certainly is handy to have a heated front screen and heated front seats now it's cold and the re-sale value for an XS is a lot better which you'll need to think about.

Have a good look around a base model Defender, they're a lot more basic than your ordinary car. I had a look around one in Kent and while it was a great car everything seemed to be a hassle to add. Putting in a radio needed a load of wiring, no electric windows, all those doors need to be locked when leaving the car, etc etc.
Post #191735 7th Dec 2012 11:53pm
Knot Yet

England 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Just another personal insight. If you buy an XS you are then trading in an XS when you sell and you will attract all those aspiring to have the "best" factory fitted model Defender secondhand

If you buy a base model and upgrade packs it's still not an XS and for some this hurdle will be less attractive when you are competing in the marketplace.

Last year we bought a used 90 with all the upgrade packs from landrover approved. It was significantly cheaper than XS stock but the original purchaser had paid more than an XS model for it! Landrover where unable to reflect the true value of the upgrades as they couldnt sell an apparent base model at a higher price than their XS stock, we got a good bargain but the original buyer must have made a huge loss.

Just my two pennies Defender 110 Puma Utility XS
Post #191752 8th Dec 2012 8:41am
John.L

Cheers folks, all good info. for consideration. Size wise I'm 5ft 10" so I found the Hardtop I tested comfy. Never had a problem in my Series 3 either, even on longer trips. Is it taller people who have issues?

Regarding the XS... they don't seem to offer 'Base, County & XS' trim options on the Utility models... at least on the 90 Hardtop. Seems to be more a case of add what you want, at least according to their website. I think it used to be different in the past but that is my understanding at least. So, if I want a Hardtop then buying a new one in XS trim is not an option.
Post #191762 8th Dec 2012 10:38am
JeremyJ

United Kingdom 
Thats my point, the series 3 has more room!!

On a hard top you can take it to nearly XS level or find an X-Tech which is pretty much XS plus a few additional bits on it.

There is (was?) a 90 hard top pre-reg out for a good price
Post #191763 8th Dec 2012 10:42am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>