↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Buying new
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
John.L

Buying new
Afternoon all,

I have been following the forum for a while now and have found it very interesting. Now I am close to buying a new Defender I thought I would register and try to contribute... as well as ask a few questions! I am afraid I'll have to start with the questions so here goes.

1. What kind of discount (%) can I reasonably expect on a new Defender 90 Hardtop at the moment? I am a cash buyer with no vehicle to trade in.

2. Do the dealers normally offer a discount on the list prices or try to throw in extras instead?

3. Do the Land Rover dealers offer any extra corrosion protection services (e.g. Dinitrol) or must I look elsewhere for this?

4. Can warranty work be completed at any European Land Rover dealer? I tend to travel a lot, both with work and in my free time.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers, John
Post #191192 5th Dec 2012 5:08pm
JeremyJ

United Kingdom 
1) Defender stock is low at the moment. There are a few 90 hard tops but depending on spec you will be looking at a factory order. Discount will vary depending on allocation, don't expect high %'s though.

There is an additional discount for NFU members, this is on top of dealer discount and widely covered on here.

2) Both! Extras still cost us, and remember service usually don't do the sales dept any favours so the cot has to come from somewhere.

3) Officialy no, some may have a body shop they can recommend. Again lots on here -search for Zagato!

4) In theory yes, but I would suggest striking up a relationship first before an emergency visit. Any uk supplied vehicle as a 3 year unlimited mileage warranty
Post #191199 5th Dec 2012 5:31pm
AndyS

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Sumatra Black
Hello and welcome,

I got 13% off my 110 this time last year and it took four hours of negotiating to get them to agree. I said I had a pot of money with this much in and that's all I have. Keep negotiations friendly, chatty, don't be rude and see where it takes you, allow lots of time as they'll have to discuss it behind the scenes. If you want things added then you could use that as a further negotiation tool if they absolutely won't budge on price but I'd go for money off first. It's best to visit all their rival dealers in the area to see what used but nearly new cars they have for sale and at what price. I think I clinched my deal because there were two used with <3000 miles on a rival forecourt which I said was in a better colour so they had to sell me something to stop my money going to the other side.

Dimitriol will cost you about £400 at your local carriage works and it's better to have them do it, add that to your budget. Not sure about European warranty work, find out at the dealer but you'll get three year European recovery in the deal. My 110 has just gone through 15000 mile, first birthday and hasn't missed a beat. There's no reason your car will be any different. Rust claims, if there are any, can be dealt with whenever so maybe you could take it back to the dealer at your convenience if needed.

Regards
Andy.

Edit: I should add, I bought one of the last 2.4's so they might have wanted it gone to make space for the new 2.2's. Maybe 10% is a good target figure.
Post #191206 5th Dec 2012 5:46pm
Go Beyond

United Kingdom 
I'd start with the sponsors on here for a deal first ....

Zagato is your man for undersealing !
Post #191207 5th Dec 2012 5:53pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
13% Shocked Well done!

I managed 7% off my 110 USW just over a year ago (one of the last 2.4's off the production line).

Obviously, if you can claim NFU vouchers (i.e. you are a Farmer) or you have a business to hide VAT then you can do better, I shopped-around and 7% was the best I could do...

WRT Dinitrol, easy to do yourself (read Zag's guide here http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic10467.html ) or as FCX says - ask Zag if he'll do it for you (for a fee of course Thumbs Up )

And WRT Warranty - the LR Warranty states:

Quote:
Warranty cover when touring

Land Rover has a comprehensive service network in most parts of the world. Any Land Rover dealer/Authorised Repairer can carry out repairs under the Land Rover Warranty. Under normal circumstances, you should not be required to pay for any warranty work at the time it is performed by a Land Rover dealer/Authorised Repairer.

When touring, it is your responsibility to produce the service portfolio issued with your vehicle (which establishes your right to warranty coverage and the relevant maintenance and service materials). If you are unable do so, the Land Rover dealer/Authorised Repairer should seek advice from Land Rover or the local importer or national sales company.

Under exceptional circumstances, you may be asked to pay for repairs that are in fact covered by the Land Rover warranty. If so, you should retain the invoice and, where practical, any replaced parts so that upon your return home your local Land Rover dealer/Authorised Repairer can arrange for prompt reimbursement as appropriate

Happy hunting Very Happy Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #191208 5th Dec 2012 6:08pm
AndyS

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Sumatra Black
MartinK wrote:
13% Shocked Well done!

I'm down in SE London so I'd guess dealers are more common. I visited five within 20 miles and there were more showrooms on that but were part of the two bigger dealers I'd already hassled. In the end I visited the five on a Sunday morning, asked them a service question I knew they couldn't answer (because the service desk was closed) and asked them to call me back on Monday. Being a scuffy sort (being a factory worker) it seems four of them didn't take me seriously so I went with the one that did.
Post #191233 5th Dec 2012 7:45pm
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
I got 10% discount for trying but that was in October 2010 on a March 2011 delivery I did however go in after a base model ht and came out with a xs station wagon DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #191242 5th Dec 2012 8:55pm
T7mbo

United Kingdom 
Hi, I paid £25000 plus vat for my new 110 x tech a few weeks ago, which I thought was a decent deal!
Don't know what that equates to discount wise!
Post #191248 5th Dec 2012 9:12pm
John.L

Thank you for all the replies, they are much appreciated!

Now another question, maybe a little tricky but I will try. I am not VAT registered, nor intending to buy the vehicle for commercial use. That said, ideally we would like a 90 Hardtop rather than a Station Wagon due to the space in the back for the dogs and other bits and bobs. Is it hard to sell a second hand Hardtop which has had the VAT paid on it without reducing the price a lot? Looking at the used vehicles, it seems many of the Hardtops are priced without VAT and are therefore possibly more attractive to business users.

As well as the Hardtop suiting our needs more than the SW, the lower list price would also allow us to add things like ABS/ETC and stay within our budget. But, we don't want to make an extra big loss if we sell or trade in the vehicle in 2 or 3 years time.
Post #191398 6th Dec 2012 9:28pm
Go Beyond

United Kingdom 
When you come to sell, VAT registered business users will not be interested ....
Post #191405 6th Dec 2012 9:38pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
John.L

Thanks. That was my concern. Do many private users buy Hardtops or are the Station Wagons more popular?
Post #191408 6th Dec 2012 9:42pm
Go Beyond

United Kingdom 
Hard to say really, depends on the requirement of the buyer.

As with all these things it's the luck of the draw when it comes to selling, finding the right person at the right time.

The only real problem I think you will have is trading in as a non vat able hard top is probably less sellable by a dealer
Post #191411 6th Dec 2012 9:49pm
John.L

Cheers. I know it sounds strange to be thinking about selling it before buying it, at least to me! Maybe I should stretch to a Station Wagon and remove the seats for the time being, or then just go for the Hardtop and see what happens later. Must have a think.

Thanks again for your help.
Post #191414 6th Dec 2012 9:54pm
Go Beyond

United Kingdom 
No worries

How about buying a hardtop a few months old that someone has already taken the hit on ?
Post #191417 6th Dec 2012 9:58pm
John.L

That may be an option, but I haven't found one that has the spec. I had planned, inc. ABS/ETC, Keswick Green or Tamar Blue, White roof, black arches, steel wheels, cloth seats etc.

Many of the Hardtops on sale appear to be without the ABS/ETC.

What kind of price drop would I be looking at for one say less than 6 months old? Would it really make much of a difference when compared to new?
Post #191418 6th Dec 2012 10:06pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>