Home > Puma (Tdci) > EGR Valve Chatter
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
warren

England 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Santorini Black
EGR Valve Chatter
Typically, it's for sale, so something [possibly] goes wrong

Basically, not sure if it comes up too well in the video, but the EGR valve is chirping away when the revs drop, or if they change slightly from idle - reversing back and forth out of a tight driveway just using the clutch it'd be chirping away every time the clutch went down. And it'll also make a noise a few seconds after it's started too.

Still drives the same, no little engine management light of doom, all seems to be fine.

Could it be considered normal, or is it going to give up the ghost soon? And if so, could it be removed, cleaned, etc. or could it do with replacing?

Three and a bit years old (out of warranty) and 56k.
Post #168552 15th Sep 2012 1:21pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Probably worth just replacing the EGR? I was under the impression they were around the 80 mark but probably knowing LR add an extra hundred to that now. Neutral Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #168569 15th Sep 2012 4:13pm
warren

Yeah your right. Don't want to go through the faff of cleaning it up, putting it back on and it still doing the same.

Forgot to say in the original post, it's definitely the EGR valve making the noise - disconnect it and the noise disappears.

Just had a quick look on eBay, seem to vary from between 80 to 100 plus shipping for the genuine Land Rover EGR valve and gaskets, not too bad.

Reading up on it I think it's something I'll be able to manage to replace myself (fingers crossed) so that'll save a bit too - properly penny pinching now, putting an offer in on a house next week!
Post #168657 16th Sep 2012 12:02am
Tjhappel

United States 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Did you get your problem sorted? I've been experiencing the same issues but to a lesser extent... I'm worried it'll get stuck in the open position and leave me stranded. I have had luck running a diesel additive, I've done it though two tanks and the noise seems to be going away.
Post #189695 29th Nov 2012 11:35pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
warren

It's still got the original EGR valve on there, and it does seem to have quietened down. I got it checked out and was told that it was still working fine, just making a bit of a noise about it. I'm not sure if that's 100% accurate though, although I have had a couple of courtesy Defenders in the past, one was almost silent when it was doing it's cleaning cycle, the other made a fair old din.

I've been keeping my eye (or ears) on it the last few weeks though as it's for sale and don't want to let it go with any faults (but in the same breath I don't want to replace working parts) and it doesn't seem to be as vocal as it was in the video, and it still drives perfectly and I've got no engine management light.
Post #189835 30th Nov 2012 5:54pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1