↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Seat belt light? and clunk!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Naks

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
Marius wrote:
I also had the (klunk) of death - but I finally traced it to the A-Arm ball joint that connects the diff to the chassis. that's why it sounds like it's coming from the rear somewhere. Got LR to fix it under waranty. Now it's gone Smile

Marius, is this what you're talking about?

Click image to enlarge

Not sure how this was causing the clunking? --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ
Post #184307 12th Nov 2012 1:43pm
Landlord

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Td5 HT Cairns Blue
bvandyk wrote:

It's normal for the trailer indicator to light up once when indicating when no trailer is connected. If there is a trailer connected it will keep on flashing with the normal indicator lights.

Not if the trailer lights are LED. Insufficient current to power up the warning light as I found out after replacing my trailer lights with LED ! Still flashes once when indicators are used exactly the same as without the trailer. 2007 TD5 90 Hard Top
Post #184308 12th Nov 2012 1:52pm
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Naks wrote:
Marius wrote:
I also had the (klunk) of death - but I finally traced it to the A-Arm ball joint that connects the diff to the chassis. that's why it sounds like it's coming from the rear somewhere. Got LR to fix it under waranty. Now it's gone Smile

Marius, is this what you're talking about?

Click image to enlarge

Not sure how this was causing the clunking?

Worn A frame balljoints are one of the most common causes of clunks in Defenders. Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #184311 12th Nov 2012 1:57pm
Marius

South Africa 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Keswick Green
Yes that's the A-frame ball joint. The ball joint develops play or the bolts holding the arm.

So the (klank) is only there when you change gears at clutch engage. Now I believe the power split is not entirely 50/50 rear/front so there is a slight discrepancy in "pull" causing the play to be taken up at that ball joint. And if there is play in that joint it makes the sound.

Would probably just worsen and worsen over time. that's my theory anyways......not sure if't correct but it sure stopped that noise! Smile
Post #184361 12th Nov 2012 6:32pm
TR51

France 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
Quote:
Not if the trailer lights are LED. Insufficient current to power up the warning light as I found out after replacing my trailer lights with LED ! Still flashes once when indicators are used exactly the same as without the trailer.

One of these may help if you want the light to iluminate...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RDX-4-Pin-Flashe...0436385588
Post #184364 12th Nov 2012 6:39pm
udderlyoffroad

United Kingdom 
To be clear, the trailer icon flashes once when you indicate to let you know that it is working and will stay flashing when a trailer is connected to indicate that the trailer indicators are working. It does this by sensing the current drawn across the flasher relay.

This is why LED trailer lamps will not make the trailer indicator flash, as they draw too little current to detect. Not even if you fit one of the LED relays as linked to by TR51 - they are for LED lights on the tow vehicle (as the description makes clear near the bottom). The only way to make any combination of LED lights and filament bulbs work is to fit a proper LED relay and separate trailer relay - which involves a lot of messing with the wiring...fine for me as my truck is in bits on the drive but probably a little much for most people!

Anyway, back to the topic in hand.... Real trucks don't have spark plugs
Post #184516 13th Nov 2012 12:27am
T5bnc

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
udderlyoffroad wrote:
To be clear, the trailer icon flashes once when you indicate to let you know that it is working and will stay flashing when a trailer is connected to indicate that the trailer indicators are working. It does this by sensing the current drawn across the flasher relay.

This is why LED trailer lamps will not make the trailer indicator flash, as they draw too little current to detect. Not even if you fit one of the LED relays as linked to by TR51 - they are for LED lights on the tow vehicle (as the description makes clear near the bottom). The only way to make any combination of LED lights and filament bulbs work is to fit a proper LED relay and separate trailer relay - which involves a lot of messing with the wiring...fine for me as my truck is in bits on the drive but probably a little much for most people!

Anyway, back to the topic in hand....

Fair play that nails that part of the thread, thanks for posting. So clunk means back to landie to sort under warranty (as i have 8ish months left)

cheers

Ben
Post #185618 16th Nov 2012 4:46pm
mobilecentre

United Kingdom 
You can buy Puma seat belt sockets with the switches in so the seat belt warning light function must be a requirement in certain market areas and available.
Post #185621 16th Nov 2012 5:01pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12