Home > My Defender > 110 Puma to M57 and 8 speed auto
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 8 of 8 <12345678
Print this entire topic · 
Mickeyk

Australia 2010 Defender 90 BMW M57 3.0 Diesel CSW Auto Zermatt Silver
mata wrote:
Mickeyk wrote:
I have watched your videos of the truck on youtube, quite the inspiration! I am currently converting my 2010 90 with a M57n2 and 8hp, and I really like the look of your custom Arduino display. Amy chance of making a couple to sell? I think it really finishes off the conversion, and no one else is doing anything so integrated!

Hi Mickey, ive been approached by someone for this before who went quiet and i believe got something else instead, after id bought all the parts. Its quite expensive in parts alone and would be quite a bit of work configuring for your requirements. Im happy to discuss if yourer happy to make it worth my time.

Hi Matt, I tried to send you a pm but I’m not able to yet. But yeah sounds good, I’ve got a very similar setup to yours with Cantcu running the 8hp behind an m57n2. Feel free to send us a pm whenever you can. Cheers!
Post #1030918 8th Apr 2024 8:47am
shanecl

Ireland 1989 Defender 90 V8 Petrol CSW Auto Firenze Red
mata wrote:
Mickeyk wrote:
I have watched your videos of the truck on youtube, quite the inspiration! I am currently converting my 2010 90 with a M57n2 and 8hp, and I really like the look of your custom Arduino display. Amy chance of making a couple to sell? I think it really finishes off the conversion, and no one else is doing anything so integrated!

Hi Mickey, ive been approached by someone for this before who went quiet and i believe got something else instead, after id bought all the parts. Its quite expensive in parts alone and would be quite a bit of work configuring for your requirements. Im happy to discuss if yourer happy to make it worth my time.

Hi Mata,

I was onto you about one but you were still developing it. I'm still interested

Shane
Post #1030942 8th Apr 2024 12:05pm
Linds Hanson

United Kingdom 
Me too
Post #1030978 8th Apr 2024 6:24pm
tommobot

United Kingdom 
Like a couple of folks on here, after seeing this thread and the videos I've also gone m57n and 8hp. Teething problems currently but blown away by performance in the few miles completed.

May I ask what rad setup you are using? I've gone for a eBay TD5 unit and cooling seems borderline... Embarassed
Post #1031014 8th Apr 2024 10:48pm
mata

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
I’ve been using the original Puma rad with a revotec electric fan kit designed for the puma but pulled from sale as the temperature fluctuations were putting some pumas into limp mode. It’s a huge commex puller fan, a custom aluminium fan shroud with the revotec adjustable temp sensor and relay. Without the fan ever coming in mine sits between 92 and 96 on the motorway, the fan comes in just under 100 (I think) and this only seems to happen on very hot days when moving slowly or coming to a stop after driving.

My next job is I’ve got an allisport rad and fan to fit, just waiting on a new e53 rad top hose to arrive. I wouldn’t say it’s necessary, my current setup works fine and had done for over three years but I think the radiator is original from 2009 with 167k miles on it so might as well upgrade whilst doing some preventative maintenance.

The revotec kit will be for sale if anyone’s interested.
Post #1031044 9th Apr 2024 8:59am
shanecl

Ireland 1989 Defender 90 V8 Petrol CSW Auto Firenze Red
Not to jump onto Matas post but I've used the BMW X5 fan, took a bit of modification to fit and then the wiring associated with it but according to the spec it moves 3500cfm
Post #1031052 9th Apr 2024 10:41am
mata

Using the BMW fan will also mean you get PWM control from the ECU, which means the speed of the fan is varied. Mine and most aftermarket electric fans are either on or off; although there are aftermarket PWM controllers available i keep deciding i prefer the simple solution. Plus if the situation ever arose the fan is easily hot-wired to remain on, which isnt the case with the BMW PWM fans - you cant just put 12v onto the PWM control wire to make them run)
Post #1031058 9th Apr 2024 11:16am
mata

@Linds Hanson
@Mickeyk

I’ve PMd you both, pls reply with your email addresses.
Post #1031244 11th Apr 2024 8:08am
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
i may have missed it but have you looked at lof 16" brake upgrade kit? calipers and discs? Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #1031287 11th Apr 2024 5:53pm
mata

Yhea you missed it Rolling with laughter !

I’ve got the LOF 16” kit with their 4 piston calipers and two piece discs. Currently have ferodo ds2500 pads in them.
Post #1031291 11th Apr 2024 6:12pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Sorry

What pads did it come with? And how do these compare? Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #1031311 11th Apr 2024 11:37pm
mata

The kit comes with some type of generic organic 'street' pads. The ds2500 feel a little dead when cold but improve with use. The issue i was chasing was a lack of power or pedal assistance, which is now improved with a new servo and master.
Post #1031325 12th Apr 2024 8:11am
biasbilt

United Kingdom 
Mata,

Nice thread and an interesting read. I think the problem with your brakes is that you’ve use flexi pipe everywhere. It has a tiny bit of stretch to it (in comparison to hard line) so with the amount used, that’s giving you a dead pedal. Normally you only have the flexi between chassis and wheel but you’ve now got a lot more.

Also, what’re you doing with your old turbolamik? Fact selling it? I’ve got a comp safari racer and I’m thinking about the conversion to 8hp…
Post #1033843 5th May 2024 8:22am
mata

Yhea the full length flexis could be having an effect, something I considered before buying them but my internet research found opinion on this certainly isn’t conclusive. Pedal feel and power is now pretty good after replacing the servo and master cylinder so for now I’m happy.

The turbo Lamik sold like a hot cake,it was keenly priced for a hassle free sale but possibly also in part due to recent happenings at HTG. I would definitely recommend the Lamik for a motorsport application, what engine would you be pairing it with?
Post #1033854 5th May 2024 11:08am
biasbilt

United Kingdom 
It’d be with a jag 4.0 supercharged v8. The cars currently running a nag1 with a PCS ecu and paddle shifts for full manual control (doesn’t even shift manually). I’ve been rebuilding the car since I bought it so need to drive it properly to see how it performs but suspect that an 8hp will be a bit sharper…

Being the jag engine, I can buy a box that just bolts straight up which makes the mechanical conversion very easy
Post #1034033 7th May 2024 8:22am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 8 of 8 <12345678