↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > VW California Ocean?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Mr Fox

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
VW California Ocean?
For quite awhile (years) I have been toying with the idea of a VW California, Ocean spec, as an easy entry to camping.

Wondered if anyone on here has had (has) one and whether you could give me some feedback on how it has been.

As a VW, I would expect reliability (if a little fudging on the diesel numbers Mr. Green ) but wondered if they lived up to your expectations and how good they actually were for two people to head off for a weekend of easy in-vehicle ‘camping’?
Post #1030713 6th Apr 2024 1:52pm
90 Dreamer

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
reliability depends massively on exactly what age / engine you get and as is common with many newer vehicles it actually decreases with 'newness' rather than age........
Post #1030714 6th Apr 2024 1:57pm
Chugga90

No experience of camper vans
However, have owned two t5.1’s and currently own two t6.

In my view the t6 is better built than the newer t6.1. Have had a few loan vans and will not upgrade mine to newer versions.

They changed the footwell from 2020 onwards and certainly on the dsg versions it’s less roomy than my 2017 & 2018 ones.
The door locks swapped over for electronic type on t6.1 which might be better on the sliding door as the earlier ones are prone to trouble?
T6.1 150bhp has Adblu issues and many fault lights regularly for under fill over fill oil etc.

The twin turbo 204bhp version has a reputation for oil use and need for replacement engines earlier than you might expect.

Having said that, my two 204bhp do not seem to use excessive oil?

The heater fan uses a few resistor packs, and is a known issue for motor replacement.

They are really nice vans to drive, car like and really good for daily driving.

If you plan going anywhere off the tarmac, even flat grass. Get a 4motion.
The two wheel drive is completely rubbish at moving on anything muddy or wet grass like!
I have one of each and wish they were both 4motion. As you will be stuck without.

Avoid anything mapped, it seems to completely cause Adblu issues on those versions.
The 204 bhp has plenty of power for the chassis to deal with.
Hopefully that’s useful?
Post #1030716 6th Apr 2024 2:19pm
pjm-84

United Kingdom 
What do you want to know? Had mine since new in 2015.

Click image to enlarge
Post #1030731 6th Apr 2024 5:09pm
pjm-84

United Kingdom 
Yes on reliability but the EGR has been emulated on my 180 due to the tendency to eat its own oil cooler.

Perfect for the weekend away, super versatile vehicle.
Post #1030732 6th Apr 2024 5:13pm
Mr Fox

Thank you all, esp Chugga90 - very helpful Thumbs Up

PJM - would be great to hear how you have got on using it in real-world conditions. Does it feel too cramped for two adults using it overnight? Is there space for a dog, on the floor, once the bed is in use? Often these things seem good in theory/photos but in use are less than ideal. Just interested to hear how practical they are in terms of UK use for two adults.
Post #1030736 6th Apr 2024 5:38pm
pjm-84

United Kingdom 
Yes to cramped. However it depend on your size. I'm 6ft 5in with a 48in chest. Typically sleep downstairs with the dog / dogs (have Boxers). Had to share downstairs with 3 dogs sometimes (3rd being a Frenchie). I sleep super light but can still sleep comfortably.

Sleeping upstairs offers more space as you can lose the downstairs shelf / mattress / push the bench seat right back and it feels cavernous

If you sleep downstairs the bed can be a little hard even with the comfort mattress. Doesn't worry me.

400mm approx left downstairs with the bed in place. Okay for a Boxer or a smaller size dog. Mine is slightly less due to the Brandup pockets on the seat bases, and my old Boxer slept fine in the gap

Mine drives great but I've junked the standard VW suspension. Twin turbo has an oil cooler issue. Less so with age. So D cooler is better than C, C is better than A (no B), and the no prefix is ...... Whistle Mine is on 74k miles and doesn't use oil

DSG is a must. I had a 140 manual for 6 months and it was hard work due to the ULW of the Cali

Avoid the electric side door. Mine was a nightmare and a trigger broom in the first two years. Its been fine ever since. But it was that bad VW offered me a replacement T6 at cost price (same spec / no electric side door)

Heater and heater resister .... yes, mine went a few years ago. Easy swap out, avoid VW parts..... stupidly expensive. However servicing is cheap?

Never been stuck. But I run on all season tyres and the Cali is heavy

Mpg is good 30 to 43mpg on a run.

Would I recommend. Yes. Super practical vehicle. But don't expect it to be like a hotel room or a full size camper van with a fixed bed.
Post #1030738 6th Apr 2024 5:59pm
Screbble

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Enjoying reading this - very informative. Admired the VW Cali from afar for some time.
Post #1030747 6th Apr 2024 6:26pm
Ianb

United Kingdom 
I'm sure you will anyway if not already, but any chance there is a dealer or some sort of "camper sales" place in your area? If not a rental place with something similar? I always love scouting those places for the visual and physical "feel" of things.

I've camped in a vw camper with r/r bed (not pop top). It was great as a sort of day van/overnight van for a couple of nights at the time we used it - We rented it, I think as a couple and a doggo (terrier) we were fine, now have a defender camper anyway so pretty used to that sort of halfway camping thing. The Yeti - 110 Camper https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic90308.html
https://www.youtube.com/@YetitheDefender
Post #1030774 6th Apr 2024 9:35pm
pjm-84

United Kingdom 
A pop top is, in my opinion, a must. Downstairs with the bed up and there is a lot of space

Click image to enlarge
Post #1030784 6th Apr 2024 11:00pm
90 Dreamer

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Just to add on the 2nd / 4wd opinion - I have run a T5 5cyl 2wd for circa 20years and having always owned at least one more suited 4wd vehicle I never bothered even trying to drive the T5 through the winter as it was totally dire even with patchy ice…..

BUT a simple set of ‘winters’ has transformed it and in the last 8-10years have simply run it all year round, even being caught out in Storm Arwen as few years back in Scotland and having to tow 2tons of holiday home around caused no issue at all in very snowy conditions…..
Post #1030809 7th Apr 2024 10:08am
lohr500

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
After years of caravanning and camping when the kids were younger, we took the plunge and ordered a new California Ocean in November last year.

Never had a campervan before but now there are just two of us, we figured there would be enough space if we travelled light.

The plan was/is for me to use it as my daily driver so we didn't want a larger campervan or motorhome.

We haven't been away in it yet, but as a daily driver it is great. On collection I drove it 250 miles back to home from Poole and it was very relaxing. It's great to be sat up high again after a few years without my Puma.

We went for the 204 4Motion version, fitted with a rear diff lock and all season tyres. We live out in the Yorkshire countryside and whilst we won't be off roading, it should cope well with snow and muddy camping fields.

If you are thinking about a new one, you need to get your order in quickly as the order book will shortly be closing. Production of the existing Transporter T6.1 based California ends in June.

Mixed reviews so far on the replacement Multivan based California concept that has been revealed.

Only downside to a new, or recently built 2023/2024 model is the potential for a leaking roof tent when the roof is raised. VW have issued several updated versions of the roof bellows, but even the newest vans are leaking, including mine. VW don't seem to have a solution yet, other than replacing like for like, so no guarantee that the replacement will be any better!!!

A few of us new owners with leaking roof bellows have decided to apply Fabsil or Aqua Tex with excellent results. Trouble is VW so far haven't issued approval to do this, so we risk voiding our warranties. It would be an interesting discussion though if it ever ended up in court or with the Motor Ombudsman Very Happy
Post #1030815 7th Apr 2024 11:25am
Mr Fox

Cheers chaps, with a big thanks to PJM and Lohr500 for their comprehensive info.

Everything said is pretty much as I expected and in fairness, there are some good feature vids on YouTube, including this one, which seemed to cover the basics (the fact that VW don't have something like this on their own site is surprising but I assume they want people to go into dealerships and have a poke around).

?feature=shared
Post #1030824 7th Apr 2024 12:27pm
lohr500

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
If you are considering buying new, build the specification you want on DrivetheDeal and save the quote.

Then have a chat with Tom at Breeze VW Commercial Van Centre in Poole.
He will probably be able to do a little better than DtD and in my experience Tom & Breeze are great to deal with.

Again, if you are thinking about buying new, unfortunately you have just missed out on a cracking 0% finance deal, but the 5+ promise is still on offer.

This gives you 5 years warranty, 5 years breakdown cover, 3 MOTs and 5 services. The 5 services could see you OK for 10 years, depending on mileage/usage on the variable service interval.
Post #1030825 7th Apr 2024 12:34pm
Mr Fox

lohr500 wrote:
Again, if you are thinking about buying new, unfortunately you have just missed out on a cracking 0% finance deal

I wasn't but equally, I'm quite glad I didn't know about it because that would have probably pushed me over the edge and had me buying a new one by using my all too willing 'man logic'. Mr. Green

Think we'll try to rent one and see how we get on and go from there. It wouldn't be a daily driver, so the commitment to have another vehicle on the driveway needs to be considered. I don't mind if it is getting used and enjoyed but the alternative is something I want to avoid.
Post #1030867 7th Apr 2024 6:26pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1