↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > INEOS Grenadier > Main Grenadier discussion thread
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 99 of 106 <123 ... 9899100 ... 104105106>
Print this entire topic · 
Ianb

United Kingdom 
I have had the same thoughts about the Grenadier market.
My wife and I are always Defender spotting as I/she drive around, we spotted a G-Wagon the other day and she asked who that is aimed at... I suppose in some respect the similar market as the Ineos.

I know that our Defender was purchased for the travelling past time lifestyle that we enjoy, rather than perhaps the original work vehicle it was designed for - so I am one to talk Laughing
But I can't imagine a farmer with his sheep dogs leaping into a 60k + Ineos... The Yeti - 110 Camper https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic90308.html
https://www.youtube.com/@YetitheDefender
Post #1027192 7th Mar 2024 7:35pm
Farmerben

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
That’s pretty much what the Farmers Weekly review said. Not sorting the HMRC status out killed the UK commercial market for the Grenadier from the start.

I’d still put money on my new Defender doing more work than the majority of Grenadiers ever will. https://instagram.com/bentheoandrews
Post #1027193 7th Mar 2024 7:51pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
after seeing the video on one for the very 1st time, i am not get getting defender vibes, more like a Cheap G wagon rip off.
Also i have a feeling that these will end up going like( posh juke) Infinity cars second hand, those were very expensive brand new at 32k, but as soon as they were traded in, they were practically worth 16k, and that was for a two year old one. Deal for what you got mind, but support i am pretty sure isnt strong, from what i saw on a youtube video ( the saloon model) Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #1027200 7th Mar 2024 8:30pm
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
Farmerben wrote:
That’s pretty much what the Farmers Weekly review said. Not sorting the HMRC status out killed the UK commercial market for the Grenadier from the start.

I’d still put money on my new Defender doing more work than the majority of Grenadiers ever will.

To be fair, that isn’t something that Ineos have any control of. So not really fair blaming them. The only thing they could do is make a physically lighter version to allow a 1 tonne payload within the 3500kg gross weight limit. But that is probably a lot easier said than done.
Post #1027203 7th Mar 2024 8:38pm
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
Farmerben wrote:
What market/purpose is the Grenadier designed for and can those markets afford it and are they the ones buying it?

Does it need a purpose?

As for market. Well the people that are buying it. Early figures suggest they registered as many or more in the U.K. than Lotus sell cars. I’d also wager the U.K. is not the primary market either. Middle East, N. America, Australia and Africa are likely all better markets for such a vehicle.
Post #1027204 7th Mar 2024 8:41pm
Ianb

United Kingdom 
Personally (and ignorantly) I don't think any vehicle needs a purpose, but from a business point of view, a target market is always quite important.

Many times with vehicles I've heard the term "identity crisis" being batted about and I don't see why it's not applicable here. But obviously I am not the target market, I just can't see who it could be other than perhaps - Horsey folk who want that country style vehicle, or big smoke city folk who live in the country who want the same style, or maybe others? I don't know really. The Yeti - 110 Camper https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic90308.html
Post #1027207 7th Mar 2024 8:56pm
Farmerben

Chicken Drumstick wrote:
Farmerben wrote:

I’d still put money on my new Defender doing more work than the majority of Grenadiers ever will.

To be fair, that isn’t something that Ineos have any control of. So not really fair blaming them. The only thing they could do is make a physically lighter version to allow a 1 tonne payload within the 3500kg gross weight limit. But that is probably a lot easier said than done.

They absolutely do have control over it. They knew the specs they needed to build to for it to qualify as a commercial the same as other commercial vehicle manufacturers do. They instead decided to build an overengineered lifestyle 4x4 (which is essentially exactly what the new Defender is). https://instagram.com/bentheoandrews
Post #1027210 7th Mar 2024 9:08pm
Farmerben

Chicken Drumstick wrote:
Farmerben wrote:
What market/purpose is the Grenadier designed for and can those markets afford it and are they the ones buying it?

Does it need a purpose?

I was just replying to blackwolf

Quote:
I also fail to understand why people persist in comparing the Grenadier with the current Defender, since they are as chalk and cheese. Utterly different vehicles for utterly different purposes and markets.
 https://instagram.com/bentheoandrews
Post #1027213 7th Mar 2024 9:20pm
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
Farmerben wrote:
Chicken Drumstick wrote:
Farmerben wrote:

They absolutely do have control over it. They knew the specs they needed to build to for it to qualify as a commercial the same as other commercial vehicle manufacturers do. They instead decided to build an overengineered lifestyle 4x4 (which is essentially exactly what the new Defender is).

don't be so daft, they are not able to defeat the laws of physics. So no, they are not fully in control, not without compromise in other areas. And clearly as they didn't go down that route, those compromises where too much for what they wanted the end product to be.

Also worth noting that the 1 tonne payload thing is not a global or universal requirement. So makes it very niche for what really is likely a tiny market for Ineos. And there is nothing to say the Gov won't at some point include it in the same way the Defender is currently included, which also does not have a 1 tonne payload. Neither vehicle should really qualify and neither was designed too. The difference is JLR has enough sway to make the Defender Commerical exempt/speical case.
Post #1027220 7th Mar 2024 9:43pm
spudfan

Ireland 
It was probably conceived as the "new" Defender vehicle people wanted, or what Jim Ratcliffe thought people wanted. He probably read on various forums about owners complaining about poor quality materials and poor build quality in the Defender. He probably set out to come up with a vehicle he hoped would address these and other issues people had. Now whether people who complained about poor quality parts and build issues would be prepared to pay for better quality parts etc is another matter.
One issue I do have is how the vehicle has progressed from planning to introduction. The initial plan was to have it sold in agricultural suppliers premises with a trip to your local BMW garage for warranty work. Well that part of the plan did not come to fruition. Over here you can purchase a Grenadier from one agent, who do not sell cars but who organise corporate events including clients like Land Rover. It is 170 miles from me so a 340 mile round trip for warranty work. Not what was envisaged.
It seems to be a good vehicle but I am happy with the Puma and it is well out of my price bracket! 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #1027222 7th Mar 2024 9:45pm
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
Ianb wrote:
Personally (and ignorantly) I don't think any vehicle needs a purpose, but from a business point of view, a target market is always quite important.

Many times with vehicles I've heard the term "identity crisis" being batted about and I don't see why it's not applicable here. But obviously I am not the target market, I just can't see who it could be other than perhaps - Horsey folk who want that country style vehicle, or big smoke city folk who live in the country who want the same style, or maybe others? I don't know really.

I think the target market is fairly obvious tbh. Someone who wants a modern "proper" 4x4 with a rugged build and native off road ability, not needing to rely on modern traction systems. This could be for overlanding, running about, a Defender replacement, an alternative to a G-Wagon, livestyle or a mariad of other reasons. Don't get me wrong, I'd much preferred to see them priced more in the £35-50k bracket, but they aren't. And I suspect in many ways they will probably sell as many at £70 as they would at £50k, but make considerably more ROI.

And who do you think vehicles like the Ford Bronco, Jeep Wrangler, Mercedes G-Class, Ford Ranger Raptor, Chevy ZR2, Ram TRX, 70 Series Land Cruiser, F150 Raptor, Tacoma TRD Pro, Jeep Gladiator and a host of other purpose built off road focused 4x4s are aimed at? They are all in a potential "similar" price category to the Grenadier. And I'd suggest that almost anyone considering any of these vehicles is a valid potential Grenadier customer.

Not every motoring enthusiast with a few quid in the bank goes and buys a BMW M2 or a Porsche. Many like their vehicles off road capable.

While on this note, who do you think spanks £50-100k on an old model Defender? No matter how you dress it up they simply are not worth that. But lots of people very willing to hand over the cash.

Click image to enlarge
Post #1027226 7th Mar 2024 9:55pm
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
spudfan wrote:
orwhat Jim Ratcliffe thought people wanted. He probably read on various forums

Not sure I can see Jim Ratcliffe frequenting any forums if I'm honest. And certainly not for market research Rolling with laughter

spudfan wrote:

One issue I do have is how the vehicle has progressed from planning to introduction. The initial plan was to have it sold in agricultural suppliers premises with a trip to your local BMW garage for warranty work. Well that part of the plan did not come to fruition. Over here you can purchase a Grenadier from one agent,

Firstly it is still early days. It is not as if Ineos had a dealer network or even had been selling cars previously. I think too many people are way to harsh on these facts and really not considering the bigger picture. From going to ground zero to where they are now in a relatively short period of time is pretty amazing.

Second, you've said road tax is very high where you are for such a vehicle. Therefore why would Ineos want to invest early on in a huge sales network? When the reality is, volumes are likely to be very very very low where you are. Even if they had 50 dealers. It just wouldn't make sense.

Third, Ineos have in a very short period of time manage to setup sales networks all across the globe. A feat most car makers still struggle to do. i.e. when was the last time a Citroën or Peugeot was officially imported and sold in the USA!

Forth, visions are just that a vision, not a guarantee of what the future will be. And life and world circumstances have a funny old affect at getting in the way and changes plans, even those of large multination corporations.
Post #1027227 7th Mar 2024 10:03pm
spudfan

Ireland 
If someone who is allowed tax a vehicle N1, commercial the road tax would be €333 per year. So that would be farmers, vets etc. The limited sales points of the vehicle will severely limit commercial sales to farmers, vets etc. This will only apply to the commercial variant of the vehicle.
I suppose one could ask a local garage to source one and buy it from them and get them to cover warranty issues etc. I know of someone who sourced a Land Rover from a local garage. Regarding warranty work, Land Rover would supply the part but would not pay the local garage for fitting it. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #1027237 7th Mar 2024 11:01pm
familymad

2016 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
Am seeing a few around now. Not seen any being worked, but those LCV are doing most of the sales. I recall buying our first Defender 110 in 2011. Was a one year old XS 2.4. Test drove it and for so many reasons it wasn’t a suitable replacement for our family Touran. But it was different and charming and not perfect. Haven’t been without one since. So I’m not put off when it doesn’t win a group test against an L663 Defender. It’s not targeting the same buyer. I’ve tried the 110 in various specs and engines. D300 is a cracker in as base as possible for me. But it didn’t charm/intrigue/grab me like the Grenadier. 1951 80" S1 2.0
1995 110 300TDI
1995 90 300TDI
Post #1027240 7th Mar 2024 11:07pm
Ianb

United Kingdom 
Chicken Drumstick wrote:
Ianb wrote:

Many times with vehicles I've heard the term "identity crisis" being batted about and I don't see why it's not applicable here. But obviously I am not the target market, I just can't see who it could be other than perhaps - Horsey folk who want that country style vehicle, or big smoke city folk who live in the country who want the same style, or maybe others? I don't know really.

I think the target market is fairly obvious tbh. Someone who wants a modern "proper" 4x4 with a rugged build and native off road ability, not needing to rely on modern traction systems. This could be for overlanding, running about, a Defender replacement, an alternative to a G-Wagon, livestyle or a mariad of other reasons. Don't get me wrong, I'd much preferred to see them priced more in the £35-50k bracket, but they aren't. And I suspect in many ways they will probably sell as many at £70 as they would at £50k, but make considerably more ROI.

And who do you think vehicles like the Ford Bronco, Jeep Wrangler, Mercedes G-Class, Ford Ranger Raptor, Chevy ZR2, Ram TRX, 70 Series Land Cruiser, F150 Raptor, Tacoma TRD Pro, Jeep Gladiator and a host of other purpose built off road focused 4x4s are aimed at? They are all in a potential "similar" price category to the Grenadier. And I'd suggest that almost anyone considering any of these vehicles is a valid potential Grenadier customer.

Not every motoring enthusiast with a few quid in the bank goes and buys a BMW M2 or a Porsche. Many like their vehicles off road capable.

While on this note, who do you think spanks £50-100k on an old model Defender? No matter how you dress it up they simply are not worth that. But lots of people very willing to hand over the cash.

Click image to enlarge

Fair enough and true, I was trying not to be too judgmental in suggesting it's purely designed as an ego extension despite not being marketed as such. Or rather, I was searching for the alternative to that and mulling over who it could appeal too. I think my view was - if you want a new clean vehicle that you could use for towing your caravan, horse box, or business wagon (food truck/coffee stall etc), then there are surely much better vehicles on the market which will provide you with all the comforts of a modern vehicle (such as those in the Grenadier) but with far better aerodynamics, mpg etc etc....But if you're madly in love with a Defender, then why not take your 60-70k wallet, buy a defender for a fraction of it, and get it tip top...? Not suggesting someone needs to take my opinion on the matter, people can do what they wish with their money, again, just trying to uncover the thought process.

As for overlanding etc, I'd be interested to know how the warranty works... There are very few Defenders on this forum and around (that I've seen) that are standard, now all/most being second hand it makes sense. Last I was aware, once you start tinkering with things you run the risk of voiding your warranty, so anyone with any serious ideas of overlanding may have to either run that risk, or hold off modifying until warranty runs out - Or, as many have done, buy 2nd hand and get modding.

Just seems there are better alternatives, but I'm no expert.... also have never driven one, nor had a good ol' look around them Laughing

I like the idea that it's not a copy and paste from every other modern vehicle out there - it has the same sort of style as the original Defender and to some extent it probably is the original defender, just better engineered with todays tech and maybe it's not really as expensive as it could justifiably be. Also I did see some pics of one with its switch panel on the ceiling and that kinda looks fun Laughing

I'd love to see how they wear through time with their own quirks and problems etc, they might be a fantastic 2nd hand vehicle in the future. The Yeti - 110 Camper https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic90308.html
Post #1027244 7th Mar 2024 11:46pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 99 of 106 <123 ... 9899100 ... 104105106>