↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > This is gonna hurt! VAN / Double Cab Benefit changes..
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
I wonder what the impact of the announcement was in real terms - people cancelling orders etc? Not a great shock to see a u turn, where were the people who actually need vs want these vehicles supposed to go? Just suck it up and pay the tax hike?
Post #1025219 19th Feb 2024 8:42pm
Muddybigdog

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
HMRC Stop DCPU Tax increase
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/update-...p-guidance Jumped ship to reliability - Mitsubishi L200
Puma 90 XS - Sold
D3 - 2.7 S x2 (both Sold)
Freelander 2 HSE - Sold
Freelander 1 - Sold
Disco 2 - Sold
Post #1025289 20th Feb 2024 11:13am
LR Nuts

another government U-Turn ......... they need votes.
Post #1025290 20th Feb 2024 11:28am
Leamreject

Italy 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Fuji White
This government is shocking!! But do we have any better alternatives Whistle Ride like you stole it!!
If I’m not on a bike it’s because only a 4x4 will do…
2011 2.4 Puma 90 HT
Post #1025301 20th Feb 2024 12:35pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
It took them 4 years to discuss the change and 4 days to make a U-turn.
Post #1025303 20th Feb 2024 12:38pm
Swine&Small

United Kingdom 
Leamreject wrote:
This government is shocking!! But do we have any better alternatives Whistle

Wait for the arrival of Comrade Commissar Starmer and we will see. Big Cry 1983 Series 3 Pick up in Marine Blue
1967 Morris Traveller
1966 Morris Convertible
2012 VW T5 Camper
Quod Abundat Non Obstat.
Post #1025304 20th Feb 2024 12:56pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
TexasRover wrote:
It took them 4 years to discuss the change and 4 days to make a U-turn.

With enough practice you can become good at anything.
Post #1025328 20th Feb 2024 4:18pm
Muddybigdog

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Swine&Small wrote:
Leamreject wrote:
This government is shocking!! But do we have any better alternatives Whistle

Wait for the arrival of Comrade Commissar Starmer and we will see. Big Cry

Welsh Labour are doing a sterling job for farmers in Wales, NOT! Jumped ship to reliability - Mitsubishi L200
Puma 90 XS - Sold
D3 - 2.7 S x2 (both Sold)
Freelander 2 HSE - Sold
Freelander 1 - Sold
Disco 2 - Sold
Post #1025333 20th Feb 2024 4:39pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I feel fairly sure that when or if Labour gets in it will be just as bad, probably worse, just as quickly. Just a different bickering rabble of unprincipled unscrupulous self-serving no-hopers. Sad
Post #1025360 20th Feb 2024 7:51pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
The media like to overblow everything and anything for a story, even down to fake news and articles.

Next they’ll be saying Gov will be introducing a Sandwhich tax the stupidity is endless. Rolling Eyes
Round my way the LA, has an approach of everything negative or made the impression of negative, the public are told “it’s the gov wot did it”.
It actually isn’t.

A reduced population size is what we could do with, sensibly. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #1025367 20th Feb 2024 8:31pm
Chawks

United Kingdom 
I Like Old Skool wrote:
Little or no sympathy for the owners of this class of vehicle!

As an owner of a 4x4 it may seem strange, but I actually abhor the 4x4. I detest the Discovery and the Range Rover status symbols. I feel the waste of resource that goes into powering the road going TRUCKS that these vehicles represent when a good estate car would do the same job.

One of my cycling buddies owns a Ford Ranger, all the bells and whistles, it's an impressive piece of kit. He's an f'ing accountant for God's sake! It may be tax efficient but it is killing the planet for no other reason than self gratification and tax write-offs!

Mrs I Like Old Skool has always displayed a liking for the Vag 4x4 products and similar (Tiguan/Q3/Ford Kuga etc) but I have always vehemently rejected this as a gross waste of resources when a saloon or hatch back can suffice. Even when it snows, I will often take out our front wheel drive Audi A4 because it is more than capable and if I am going to be stuck in traffic for hours then I might as well be comfortable and efficient? Why would I choose to power around in an enormous slab of 4x4 lard when a typical saloon car will suffice?

It might be unpleasant for current owners, but wake up and smell the coffee, your little tax dodge has come to an end. Time to pick-up the bill! (see what I did there?).

And what estate vehicle do you suggest to tow my horse trailer loaded with a 650kg 17hh horse and 300kg pony in and out of a muddy field. Or to tow a loaded trailer of manure donated to the local allotments ? Or to load up with horse hay/feed/bedding? Or even worse pull my 5.7v8 petrol speed boat up the slipway Surprised
I'm self employed but don't put the pick up through the business as I use it for private use and can't be arsed with the paperwork. I may however put an electric vehicle through the business purely as a way to "reduce " my tax bill despite an electric vehicle being very questionable on the environmental front over it's lifespan
Post #1025375 20th Feb 2024 9:22pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
l am also in business and drive a Defender Commercial.
l need it to visit farms and other properties where my van used to struggle particularly in Winter. We also have a Suzuki Jimny which is a lot smaller and just as capable, but it won't fit my tools and particularly the items l have to take away from customers for repair.

However
l do agree with some of the points raised above, but in reference to vehicles generally getting larger. The roads round here are full of big cars and 4x4's that look like they never go off road. Vehicles like the vast Audi Q7 and BMW X6, huge vehicles that are completely unnecessary.

The car manufacturers make more money from big cars, it doesn't cost mush more to make one and they sell for twice the price. They also claim that the safety technology and standards required by law on new cars makes small cars uneconomical to produce.
Post #1025413 21st Feb 2024 8:58am
spudfan

Ireland 
A few years (2019) ago we bought our oldest daughter her first car. It is a 1999 Defender 300tdi seven seat station wagon. My daughter lives away from home. She has a pony (I call it a horse it is that big!). She needed something to get to work in but also to do the horsey stuff with. She shifts bags of feed and bales in the back. She bought a horse box so she needed something to tow that in and out of muddy areas. She lives in a rural area so gets snow and has had no bother with the 90.
She never had a car prior to the 90 but grew up with our Land Rovers. We bought her the Defender 90 as it is the most suitable car for what she does.
I considered getting her a Freelander, but I was at a country show and parked in a field. There was a Freelander with a horsebox trying to leave but could not. The field had a sandy soil so no muck but there was a miniscule slope in front of the Freelander so it would just not get going with the horsebox. A Toyota Land Cruiser towed the Freelander and horsebox clear of the slight rise and it got going after that. I did not want my daughter to be in this position while at a show with her pony.
Anyway it is her daily driver and workhorse and she loves it. She has been offered money to sell it but always refused.
There are posts on her with photos about her Defender 90. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #1025510 21st Feb 2024 6:45pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Very wise decision in my opinion. Thumbs Up

Did anyone else hear of the Post Office scandal as well, it’s the same ministers there trying to condemn vehicles and their owners all the time, yet they decry they so called aren’t anti car, they are!
They couldn’t even care less about how those people suffered with the PO and how they were treated.
https://www.change.org/p/demand-sir-ed-dav...on-scandal

I also need my 90, not just a want but NEED. And finally, it’s no one else’s business what people own or do with their own lives.
It has even got to the stage last year of slashing tyres in areas around the U.K.

Lots of people have cars or vehicles I don’t like at all, I’d never own, can’t stand them.
But all the same, that’s their prerogative as much as my own as to what I would like to have myself.

Each to their own, and it’d be a very boring world if we were all the same.
Removing barriers that stop people doing what they want should make a better country and freedom is key to a happy and productive society. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #1025521 21st Feb 2024 7:38pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
just as well that got over turned, that would have smashed farmers and companies. Who ever thinks these daft ideas up, needs putting away in a mental hospital like. Thinks are so rocky as it is, and the last thing businesses want is more taxes. Plus car manufactures would have also took another hit too, With the way things are going with the war on diesels and now petrol's ( after the government said go diesel everyone in 2000s) Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #1025538 21st Feb 2024 10:20pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123