Page 14 of 21 <123 ... 131415 ... 192021>
Print this entire topic · 
Procta

United Kingdom 
TexasRover wrote:
LR90XS2011 wrote:
spotted this at the local station looked proper tidy so much so I took a photo

Click image to enlarge

Ah yes, no headrest. Those were the days you actually had whiplash but then it was just neckache. Now you have whiplash if someone slams the door too hard.

Christ O mighty me! i think the last time i saw one of those would be 30 years ago! that's when cars were proper cars, and you can fix them on the drive away. Now you need a computer to plug the sodding thing in, and then strip the car down to a shell, just to change a daft sensor that no one has heard of!
One bloke at work mentioned his wife's car needs a wet belt change, and it was going to cost £1500

I was like wtf is one of those??? timing belt yep but a wet belt Rolling Eyes Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #1021966 21st Jan 2024 3:41am
Procta

United Kingdom 
Ianb wrote:
Yeh definitely Devon and Cornwall there are still a lot of the old Peugeots around.

I remember all of us youngsters comparing insurance for our 1 - 1.2l cars trying to find that sweetspot between bhp and insurance price, I suppose taking into some consideration the increase in mortality.... then one of our friends was on his Dads farms fleet insurance and he rocks up with a Peugeot 306 GTI 6 Laughing

You should have seen the lads i worked with 20 years ago, when they all rocked 1.2 clios etc, and i rocked a 1.9 DTurbo for the same amount or cheaper than they were paying Laughing One lad was like no sodding way procta lad, i was like yep there is the car mate Thumbs Up Mind it was abou 10 years older than what they had though, but it was still an all round better car. Was like chalk and cheese compared to the rover metro 1.1c rio i was rocking before. The laugh was the metro was a better car all round bodywork wise than that 306! The Dturbo was one of the shortest owned car by me, the 300 TDi was very close! Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #1021967 21st Jan 2024 3:49am
Ianb

United Kingdom 
Hahah, I miss those days of everyone metaphorically racing around trying to have the best **** car.... They weren't bad cars, some were very good mechanically etc, but we all recognised we were on the training wheels rung of cars and anyone that has an extra few cc and breaches that 1190cc barrier was driving an F1 by comparison, but it was simple fun. I actually look at some of the vastly financed stuff there is driving around todays and often note the new looking driver behind the wheel and it does make me feel that they've missed out. The Yeti - 110 Camper https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic90308.html
https://www.youtube.com/@YetitheDefender
Post #1022019 21st Jan 2024 1:40pm
Race.it

Spain 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Alaska White
Driving from Cartagena towards Alicante yesterday saw a Spanish xr4i,in black, noted difference to the uk model the rear quarter window was not split in two, so body shell more like the cosworth or base model looked all original, some dented panels, old couple in it, prob original owners. Searching for my first Defender...and started just as Covid hit, so talk about timing.

5 months after starting the search I found it, and here is the details
Post #1022054 21st Jan 2024 5:26pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
I seem to recall in the UK, the XR4i were much more rare than the XR3i. Many of those Guys a few years older than me at work (they would have been 21-28 year olds at most) seemed to have XR3i's. It was their go-to motor of choice. I can only recall one person who I knew who had an XR4i.

Not sure if it is just an age thing, but the 1980's did seem to produce some really exciting cars.

Very interesting what you say Race.it about the difference with the Spanish versions.

One of the other differences of the Spanish cars that you failed to highlight was they put the steering wheel on the other side Rolling with laughter

Sorry. I will go get my coat.
Post #1022057 21st Jan 2024 5:45pm
Rashers

Procta wrote:

One bloke at work mentioned his wife's car needs a wet belt change, and it was going to cost £1500

I was like wtf is one of those??? timing belt yep but a wet belt Rolling Eyes

I believe my little Fiesta (eco boost) has a wet belt. I suppose it depends on the age, mileage and condition, but at that kind of a price, you have to start asking whether it is worth the expense when it needs changing. If that is what is called progress in car design, I weep Big Cry Nothing these days seems to be easily maintainable.
Post #1022059 21st Jan 2024 5:57pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
Rashers wrote:
I seem to recall in the UK, the XR4i were much more rare than the XR3i. Many of those Guys a few years older than me at work (they would have been 21-28 year olds at most) seemed to have XR3i's. It was their go-to motor of choice. I can only recall one person who I knew who had an XR4i.

Not sure if it is just an age thing, but the 1980's did seem to produce some really exciting cars.

Very interesting what you say Race.it about the difference with the Spanish versions.

One of the other differences of the Spanish cars that you failed to highlight was they put the steering wheel on the other side Rolling with laughter

Sorry. I will go get my coat.

I think most of the XR4i's were used as donor shells to the Sierra Cosworth, back in the day Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #1022067 21st Jan 2024 7:21pm
Swine&Small

United Kingdom 

Click image to enlarge

Had the Traveller for many years, the Convertible was later addition.
Still a few around but getting less

Click image to enlarge
 1983 Series 3 Pick up in Marine Blue
1967 Morris Traveller
1966 Morris Convertible
2012 VW T5 Camper
Quod Abundat Non Obstat.
Post #1022094 21st Jan 2024 9:44pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
IIRC the convertible Moggie was branded the Tourer. My mum, may she rest in peace, learnt to drive in one, albeit a split screen early one.
Post #1022095 21st Jan 2024 10:03pm
Swine&Small

United Kingdom 
I also passed my test in a 1954 Splittie Moggie tourer. Unfortunately that was back in 1971.
Much water under that bridge since Big Cry 1983 Series 3 Pick up in Marine Blue
1967 Morris Traveller
1966 Morris Convertible
2012 VW T5 Camper
Quod Abundat Non Obstat.
Post #1022098 21st Jan 2024 10:17pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
Swine&Small wrote:

Click image to enlarge

Had the Traveller for many years, the Convertible was later addition.
Still a few around but getting less

Click image to enlarge

About 20 years ago, a few doors down from me, had the Morris Traveller, which they later swopped for a Reliant Robin. Also down the road one of the lads i used to work with, his parents were into the classic cars, and they had a minor sitting out side for a good while, the clutch at the time had gave up the ghost. I think that may have been moved on now, but i have had a White one behind me the odd time.
Also you saying that these are getting less, that might be down to the fact the younger generation are not really going for cars of that era now. When you have cars from the 80s and 90s to pick from now. Still a highlight of the day to see something like that on the road though. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #1022115 22nd Jan 2024 6:55am
Rashers

Your comments on the younger generation not taking up ‘classic’ cars was highlighted on the episode of Bangers and Cash I watched the other night, Procta.

I can’t recall the car that was in for auction, but Derek was musing the fact that it was a lovely presented car which wouldn’t make the ‘right’ money as the 30-40 somethings who are looking for a ‘classic’ were looking to cars of their childhood and anything pre 1980 wasn’t in that group.

Another major problem with the younger generation and classic cars is very few of them ever ‘tinkered’ to keep their first or second car on the road. My Dad is not mechanically minded, but even he used to strip and clean the carb off of his A40 to keep it running well. Classic cars need a lot of fettling.
Post #1022123 22nd Jan 2024 9:01am
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
I saw a tidy Mini-Metro on an E plate on Saturday. 4 door in that funny blue/grey colour

It looked tiny!
Post #1022127 22nd Jan 2024 9:31am
Procta

United Kingdom 
Rashers wrote:
Your comments on the younger generation not taking up ‘classic’ cars was highlighted on the episode of Bangers and Cash I watched the other night, Procta.

I can’t recall the car that was in for auction, but Derek was musing the fact that it was a lovely presented car which wouldn’t make the ‘right’ money as the 30-40 somethings who are looking for a ‘classic’ were looking to cars of their childhood and anything pre 1980 wasn’t in that group.

Another major problem with the younger generation and classic cars is very few of them ever ‘tinkered’ to keep their first or second car on the road. My Dad is not mechanically minded, but even he used to strip and clean the carb off of his A40 to keep it running well. Classic cars need a lot of fettling.

the younger lads who are old enough to be my sons, don't even know what a Carb is! One asked me what the 1.2 litre cars were like, when i was his age! I said we still had carbed cars and Turbo was either on a 2 litre petrol or a Diesel, he was like bloody hell! Also i think the younger generation just like to get cars remapped now. None of the stuff that we all did is even talked about or done. Shocked Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #1022217 22nd Jan 2024 7:23pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
diesel_jim wrote:
I saw a tidy Mini-Metro on an E plate on Saturday. 4 door in that funny blue/grey colour

It looked tiny!

yeah they are small cars, compared to the modern crap, even my 306 is considered small, and that was a family hatch back, of the 90s to the early 00s. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #1022220 22nd Jan 2024 7:25pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 14 of 21 <123 ... 131415 ... 192021>