↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Yet another won't start post
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
Both my used sensors do exactly the same thing, throw up the same faults and show similar engine rpm on cranking. The new one I bought will not read at all but it does look different so was not impressed to be sold one that is of no use, not as described and in negotiations with the supplier.
I have a new Denso starter being delivered Tuesday, the existing one was a used one to replace the original that had been on for close on 200k miles. That one died after too much wading and mud ingress, my 110 does get a bit of use.
The replacement might well have come off an older motor than mine anyway so it wouldn't hurt to replace it anyway, the mileage mine has done is equivalent to reaching the moon, I am not retiring it until it's back home Whistle
Post #1016469 26th Nov 2023 11:47pm
JWL

Now I am truly stumped, new Denso starter came this afternoon, fitted this evening.
Spins the engine over a bit quicker and after a few attempts it fired up and ran. Bit lumpy to start with due to the amount of overfuelling trying to start. Top speed sensor fault showing on Nanocom, a few more tries, some instantly, some not a hope with MIL light coming on. Turn off and try immediately after and she fired right up. Leave it five minutes putting tools away and not a hope. Swopped through the collection of CPS sensors and no difference apart from the new one not allowing anything to happen.

One thing I did notice was that when I was putting the driver's seat box back together that wriggling wires about in there there was a hesitation when idling. Running out of time and working by torchlight I could not pinpoint what it was I was moving. The red plug is dry, the CPS sensor is now on a separate replacement shielded wire that only is close to the rest of the engine loom is where it enters the seatbox through the big rubber grommet.

Really getting disheartened now
Post #1016656 28th Nov 2023 9:45pm
JWL

Finally sorted
Very Happy
New starter motor on the other night and yes after a fair bit of hassle it started but still with CPS faults and then no start. Managed to get an hour or so free to get at it again today and after testing the sensors I already have they were reading 1.2k ohms so were ok. The new one I bought was sent back and a refund given, that read 1.3but would not register anything speed wise on cranking. When it was running whenever I moved the wires in the seatbox near the ECU the engine would falter especially moving the new replacement CPS wire. Ohm tested the pins at the red plug and only got a reading from the blue/white and earth which to meant that the new loom was suspect as I would have thought that the two trace coloured wires would give the reading not anything off the "earthing" wire.
Took it back to the original loom and it starts as it should.
I did tweak the earth posts in the bottom of the seatbox but it does look like the main culprit was the starter motor.
I have put a new fuel pump in which I had bought a while ago as I suspected a problem which seemed to have cured itself so it wasn't a waste. New injector seals and washers, never hurts to replace every so often. I'm a bit cheesed off that I have bought the sensor and the sensor replacement loom that were not up to doing the job, but hey ho we live and learn.

Still, it starts on the button and that's what matters and the other half can have her D4 back plus I don't have to worry about the amount of mud and crap that's stuck to me when I get in and want to go somewhere Whistle
Post #1017173 2nd Dec 2023 7:36pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12