↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Yet another won't start post
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
Yet another won't start post
It's been a while since I've done any posting on here but my 2002 15P is not playing ball

I did a clutch change back in July in a camping field due to complete failure of the thrust bearing Whilst towing the caravan to our annual week away in Wales, the last 25miles were fun to the campsite with no clutch. When the gearbox was put back I renewed the last bit of wiring on the CPS sensor loom as it had become very brittle and would crank to start longer than it should, after the attention it was spot on, turn the key and it would fire up straight away. I was actually more pleased about that than being able to change gear when I wanted to.

Long story short, over the past month it's been taking longer to fire and run when cranking until now where it won't run at all
Swopped CPS sensor with a known good one
Get a rev reading but it's all over the place and can go blank on the Nanocom
Gives noisy fault on faults along with speed fault and sometimes the MIL light is on but not every time
Bought and fitted a new wiring harness from CPS to the ECU
No change
New fuel pump
Does drive better when it runs
No oil at all in injector loom and red plug
Dry as a bone
New solenoid pack in starter motor plus a good look over

It does start with a tow, runs absolutely spot on, will start on the key but only if you don't leave it turned off for too long, say an hour.

It will try to fire but is very lumpy, won't pick up and the black smoke obliterates the street

Batteries are fully charged, charger is a permanent feature as I try to solve this,.

Looking for any more ideas from the collective gurus as I am stumped
Post #1016267 24th Nov 2023 5:10pm
MadTom

Czech Republic 1999 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Baltic Blue
Check starter motor and battery. "Drobek" = The Small One - Discovery 2, "Blufínek" = The Blue Thing - Defender 130, and for me at least Ford Mondeo Smile
Post #1016310 25th Nov 2023 7:30am
JWL

The battery/batteries are plugged into a charger. The starter has a new solenoid kit put in and I gave it a good look over. It spins the engine over properly and fast enough but the readings of engine rpm from the Nanocom do not correspond to what you can hear.
I bought a new CPS sensor but cannot get that to register any rpm reading so suspect that I have been sold the wrong sensor as the two used ones give me a reading of sorts.
Post #1016311 25th Nov 2023 8:29am
Benny

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 90 Td5 HT Rioja Red
Could be the injector seals. They go over time. I had a refusing to start issue 1999 10p and reaserched. Read people had issues.
How may miles has it done?
Post #1016315 25th Nov 2023 9:22am
JWL

I'm going to pop a new set of seals and washers on as matter of course, I'm not hopeful but am looking at anything now as it runs spot on when started and no diesel smell in oil. But copper washers may be dropping oil into the cylinder hence all the black smoke when cranking on the starter so it will be done to at least rule that one out.

Mileage.......... Only 258k miles
Post #1016317 25th Nov 2023 9:30am
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
As mentioned above. Sounds like you are listing the problems an iffy starter cause. With that problem they always start ok with a tow.
Post #1016321 25th Nov 2023 9:52am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
As above. A noisy starter can cause all sorts of starting issues. I mistakingly bought a pattern part that was so noisy it was affecting the tiny CPS signal so the engine would turn and turn really struggle to fire. Every now and again I would get a CPS error but not always. Swapped to a new Denso. Problem solved.

But... I wouldn't count out a feeling issue. Check your fuel filter housing is not corroded for instance.
Post #1016324 25th Nov 2023 10:26am
JWL

At the mileage mine has achieved it is becoming a bit of a Triggers Broom, the filter housing was replaced last year plus with the erratic speed readings at cranking and no hassles when running it is all pointing to an electrical gremlin when cranking. But with the amount of black smoke and failure to run, tries to fire but won't run I will change injector washers and seals as it could be dumping excess fuel in the bore and effectively flooding
Post #1016343 25th Nov 2023 2:26pm
JWL

Changed injector seals and washers, added earth's from the under driver seat earth poles straight to the battery and still no further forward. Plenty of black smoke, tries to fire but won't run so I am going to have to try a new starter even though I have done the solenoid pack, it turns the engine over well etc etc but I am still getting the noisy signal fault. Not every time but it happens.
When cranking and trying to fire it will falter in cranking speed and the MIL light will come on so it might be that the starter motor is beginning to fail in the windings and giving the noise picked up by the CPS
Post #1016362 25th Nov 2023 5:08pm
MadTom

Czech Republic 1999 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Baltic Blue
Once I was solving Discovery2 non starting, with nice running starer motor. Owner was able to jump start with pulling it with another car. This was real surprise, because it started inmediately. We replaced starer for some old spare one, and it started again. Starter was working nice, we have fully dismantled it, and found nothing visibly bad. With high current test we found differences between rotor windings. I think, some were parly bad, and it was producing some electrical noise. "Drobek" = The Small One - Discovery 2, "Blufínek" = The Blue Thing - Defender 130, and for me at least Ford Mondeo Smile
Post #1016385 25th Nov 2023 9:00pm
JWL

I'm at the point where it can be little else, I have done all the low cost "fixes" so it's Sods Law that more money has to be splashed out Rolling Eyes

So new starter it will have to be and after all the hassle it'll have to be a Denso of course Shocked
Post #1016389 25th Nov 2023 9:21pm
NickMc

Northern Ireland 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Bonatti Grey
Have you tried the crank sensor shim? NSJ000010
Post #1016395 25th Nov 2023 10:27pm
MarkBrown

United Kingdom 1983 Defender 110 Other HT Auto Keswick Green
MadTom wrote:
Once I was solving Discovery2 non starting, with nice running starer motor. Owner was able to jump start with pulling it with another car. This was real surprise, because it started inmediately. We replaced starer for some old spare one, and it started again. Starter was working nice, we have fully dismantled it, and found nothing visibly bad. With high current test we found differences between rotor windings. I think, some were parly bad, and it was producing some electrical noise.

I had a similar problem on a Jeep - intermittent starting. The motor worked fine on the bench with the solenoid kicking out as it should, but the solenoid would only kick in sometimes on the car. A new starter and all was well again.
Post #1016398 25th Nov 2023 10:48pm
JWL

I did think of the spacer on the sensor but why all of a sudden would it be needed when it has been working perfectly for months?
Post #1016405 25th Nov 2023 11:40pm
NickMc

Northern Ireland 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Bonatti Grey
You changed the sensor didn’t you? It could be slightly different or fell off. You really need an oscilloscope to look at the sensor wave it’s strange that it worked perfect after the wiring repair and now doesn’t again, investigate that further. I’d voltage drop test the starter before changing out., I’d also look at the earth on the engine bay as your instruments are earthed through it.
Post #1016460 26th Nov 2023 10:31pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>