Post Reply  Down to end
Page 29 of 37 <123 ... 282930 ... 353637>
Print this entire topic · 
keith

Scotland 
Dinnu wrote:
keith wrote:
I was told to bring it in and a workshop diagnosis

That is very irresponsible of the dealer to say the least. I would ask them to either send a transporter to take your Defender to them, or a technician visit you where the Defender is located. No way I would be driving it in that condition.

keith wrote:
My question is… have there been any axles at all been replaced for the weld failure?

As far as I read, some owners that had weld failures but at the time were outside the recall range got a small discount on an axle case. Now yours having the recall might change the complete game.

Can I ask if it is the nearside weld that failed?

Yes it was NSF.
Post #1015572 18th Nov 2023 8:14pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
spudfan wrote:
So where did it all go wrong? ...

Post #1015579 18th Nov 2023 9:07pm
spudfan

Ireland 
Probably spend my time at the hair saloon than using a spanner... 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #1015588 18th Nov 2023 10:51pm
ickle

France 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Alpine White
Sarcasm aside, the thing I cannot understand is why when JLR's attitude to their customers and faults on their products is so woefully bad and so well known not just on this forum but also on other social and news platforms, why does anyone buy a product from them?

SWMBO had had Freelanders 1's & a 2 then swapped onto a Cooper sd and when we moved here wanted a Disco sport (or Freelander 3 as I call them) due to the dealers attitude on paid repairs to my 110 and all of the feedback I'd read on JLR very poor customer care we bought a Toyota.

It will be a shame when JLR ceases production, but that must now be a distinct possibility.
Post #1015613 19th Nov 2023 11:11am
blackwolf

It is an interesting point, if the customers didn't tolerate this attitude and went elsewhere, JLR would have to improve or would go out of business.

I can only assume that people buy the products before discovering the appalling service and attitude, then join the forums and take to social media.

I imagine that if you walk into a dealer and look like a prospective buyer you get treated very well, right up to the moment when you part with the cash.
Post #1015631 19th Nov 2023 1:31pm
Very Rural

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 CSW Aintree Green
Exactly,
When I purchased a new Jimny a few years ago, the dealer went out of his way to be extremely helpful.
However, when I wanted to pay cash, rather than use one of their 'special offer' long-term payment deals, you could almost hear his brain calculating the loss he would incur, as he didn't get any handout from the financial service provider.
I'm sure it's not just JLR, but they do see to really show a lack of support for the customer once the deal is done.
Post #1015730 20th Nov 2023 12:00pm
Very Rural

Update as of today regarding my N706 recall.

After the disgraceful situation with my local main dealer, I have now booked in again with the original selling dealer, from whom I purchased the 110. They don't have the brackets in stock, but they hope to obtain them in time for my appointment.

They sound a little more interested in customer support, so I will give them a try. Unfortunately it's a long journey, so will take up another whole day.
It's 3 weeks from now, so a bit of a wait, - I will keep posting when I have any further updates.
Post #1015747 20th Nov 2023 1:54pm
spudfan

Ireland 
Very Rural wrote:
Exactly,
When I purchased a new Jimny a few years ago, the dealer went out of his way to be extremely helpful.
However, when I wanted to pay cash, rather than use one of their 'special offer' long-term payment deals, you could almost hear his brain calculating the loss he would incur, as he didn't get any handout from the financial service provider.
I'm sure it's not just JLR, but they do see to really show a lack of support for the customer once the deal is done.

Had a dealer turn down the sale of a Defender 110 (old type) because I was paying cash! 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #1015771 20th Nov 2023 3:57pm
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Ianh wrote:
Have you read this topic , especially ALL posts by Payney1000 , he has been pursuing the Legal route https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic55655...p;start=60

If you read from page 5 on you will see the significant progress he has made.

It may be worth reaching out to him via a PM. Noting in one post I think he mentioned two suspected deaths due to this in the EU.

Also If you look at page one of the same topic you will see that member noworries4x4 had the axle case split at the weld, inc pics.

I read a post earlier today where someone commented on not being able to get insured - insurance they wont insure defenders......I wonder if this might be why?
Post #1016291 24th Nov 2023 9:05pm
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
well mine due in on Monday cancelled due to lack of parts, they wont sign it off even though I already have the brackets fitted until they have fitted new ones!! DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #1016293 24th Nov 2023 9:24pm
blackwolf

Caterham wrote:
I read a post earlier today where someone commented on not being able to get insured - insurance they wont insure defenders......I wonder if this might be why?

No, I think that is because there is an epidemic of thefts of recent LR models and insurers are simply not interested in distinguishing one model from another.
Post #1016297 24th Nov 2023 9:54pm
Very Rural

I'm back again, still no joy with my recall. You may remember that I was due to try & get the work sorted by the original dealer that I purchased the 110 from. It was booked in for tomorrow...

I had a telephone call from them saying that they had only received one bracket, thus they could not do the job. I enquired as to when they were expecting the missing bracket ... surely it would be in by tomorrow?
They had already contacted JLR parts department, and were advised that there was no stock, & that they had no idea when the likely ETA was.
Why send out one bracket? Why doesn't the pair come as a kit, complete with two new nylock nuts?
So I am no further towards getting this important issue solved.

I've been looking at this thread, expecting Keith, who was due to take his Defender in for the infamous brackets, but whose front axle had already cracked. Is there any update on this?
Did he have to actually drive the vehicle in, complete with cracks & leaks??
I'd be interested to know the result.

Meanwhile I will have to wait yet again, for the second dealer to obtain the full complement of brackets. I suppose I could have gone back to Hatfield's, demanded the brackets that they didn't fit, (but said they had) & taken those to my second choice of main dealer, for them to fit! I don't this this would happen.
This is beginning to get like some awful Brian Rix Farce, -except that the dealers still have their trousers on!
Post #1017540 5th Dec 2023 4:11pm
blackwolf

Very Rurual wrote:
...Why doesn't the pair come as a kit, complete with two new nylock nuts? ...

A good question! The brackets are individual parts, there is no kit, and you don't get new nuts. Big Cry
Post #1017546 5th Dec 2023 5:44pm
NickMc

Northern Ireland 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Bonatti Grey
spudfan wrote:
Very Rural wrote:
Exactly,

Had a dealer turn down the sale of a Defender 110 (old type) because I was paying cash!

You’re only allowed to take £7000, its to do with money laundering rules.
Post #1017576 6th Dec 2023 2:09am
Very Rural

It wasn't cash-in-hand, it was a cheque. They would still have preferred PCP arrangement, as the dealer gets a hand-out from that, & the poor customer pays more if he wants to keep the vehicle after the contract ends...

Anyway back to the plot, I'm still, like many others waiting for a dealer to get their second bracket.
Post #1017711 7th Dec 2023 3:26pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 29 of 37 <123 ... 282930 ... 353637>