↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > MY2011/2012 Recall Action P047/048 Front Axle Case
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 37 of 37 <123 ... 353637
Print this entire topic · 
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
If you were to ask an Elf and Safety professional you can definitely not weld a patch on your chassis, unless of course your certified by Landrover etc.

Honestly we have reached a point where ignorance is bliss for about anything DIY.
Post #1023892 7th Feb 2024 8:57pm
Oldowner

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Aintree Green
blackwolf wrote:
Oldowner, can you confirm whether to the vehicle in your photo is within the VIN range covered by the recall?

Thanks.

I haven’t looked to be honest, I know it is an early 2.2l, registered March 2012. I haven’t spoken to the owner yet regarding whether he has had any recall communication from Land Rover.

I will take detailed photos this weekend of the casing.
Post #1023893 7th Feb 2024 9:33pm
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
Oldowner, enter the vin number in this website https://osh.landrover.com/ 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #1023925 8th Feb 2024 5:18am
pistonfields

Switzerland 
TexasRover wrote:
spudfan wrote:
Short of replacing the axle casing, is there a pre emptive remedy owners could do to prevent this happening?

It's just steel any competent fabricator could add a bracket and significantly strengthen that axle, but that's not how it works as any modifications invalidates the type approval and you would need to inform your insurer yadiya...

Rules and paper work gets in the way of common sense.

That's the problem I'm facing with Swiss MOT. They're a pain to deal with when it comes to those types of modifications. Maybe the LR recall brackets will conceal it enough. Or I'll just mount a chinese lightbar to take his attention away from all other unauthorized mods Rolling with laughter
Post #1024050 9th Feb 2024 8:52am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Oldowner wrote:
blackwolf wrote:
Oldowner, can you confirm whether to the vehicle in your photo is within the VIN range covered by the recall?

Thanks.

I haven’t looked to be honest, I know it is an early 2.2l, registered March 2012. I haven’t spoken to the owner yet regarding whether he has had any recall communication from Land Rover.

I will take detailed photos this weekend of the casing.

It is also disturbing that the original recall was only for 110 and 130 vehicles and stated that this couldn't possibly be a problem with a 90. Shocked

How is it that JLR is allowed to get away with this?
Post #1024055 9th Feb 2024 9:40am
Ianh

United Kingdom 
I fitted the brackets to my 2013 110 today, took 1 hour.

Many thanks to LR90XS2011 who sold me his old brackets that LR took off to replace with the same brackets under the recall. Mine is after the recall but I wanted to fit them as I really don’t trust JLR to get the affected vehicle ranges correct / be honest about affected vehicles ranges !

The brackets supplied were in mint condition, I just gave them a degrease with brake cleaner then a liberal coating of Bilt Hamber dynax UB chassis wax.

I drove the front of the vehicle onto a couple of drive on ramps to provide ground clearance to use a long breaker bar.

The radius arm nuts are 24mm and the bolt heads are 21mm.

I gave the exposed bolt threads a good clean with a stiff brush and applied some plus gas to threads and nuts.

I needed a long 1/2 inch square drive 24mm 6 point socket to get over the exposed bolt threads and sit fully on the nuts.

There was just enough room for the long socket with the attached 750mm breaker bar to fit on both the 2 left hand radius arm and 2 right hand radius arm nuts.

I had to apply a lot of torque to ease the nuts loose but given the workshop manual states values of 190, 197 and 210 Nm as the torque for these bolts it’s not surprising. Why JLR quote 3 values I don’t know ! https://www.lrworkshop.com/torque-specific...ender-2007

Rear bolts and nuts.
Once the nut is loosened I had to use an open end spanner on the rear bolt head to hold it in place as there is not enough room for a socket. This is the same on both sides of the axle.
I then used a 24mm ratchet spanner to spin the nut off as it’s easier than using a long socket and ratchet .

Front bolts and nuts.
The bolt head is far more accessible so I used 21mm socket and ratchet to hold that but still used the 24mm ratchet spanner on the nut.

Note, for all bolts and nuts once the nut has been “cracked “ with the breaker bar and long socket you can get away with ring or open ended spanner’s , or a socket and ratchet on the nut, but far easier in the confined space with a 24mm ratchet spanner on the nut.

It was good to see the bolts could be rotated, with a bit or resistance, in all radius arm bushes.

I tapped the front bolts back about 15mm ( not out of the bush, don’t do that) to aid fitting of the brackets which fitted easily.

Fitted the nuts, held bolt heads in place as before and tightened up nuts with ratchet spanner. Then used the torque wrench with long 6 point socket to tighten to 200Nm, which takes a fair pull on the wrench.

Here is a fun fact. , unless you have a thin walled 24mm 6 point long socket, which I have, then the very limited clearance between the bracket and the nut will prohibit a socket sitting fully on the nut, which you need to have when you torque the nut to 200Nm , the value I used as the mid point out of the 3 given by LR.

So on the work bench place a nut in each of the recesses in each bracket, then see if your socket will slide fully down on each nut, if not you can grind 1 -1.5mm off the bracket to ensure an easy fit .

Ps. I tested whether a 24mm long impact socket would fit, being thicker material it would not and would have required some bracket grinding in the very small area it bound on the bracket.

Hope this assist anyone looking to do themselves.
Post #1025034 17th Feb 2024 8:43pm
BogMonster

Falkland Islands 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
I have scanned through this thread and I can't at the moment see the answer (but may have missed it).

What is the score for much later vehicles? 2015 to end of production? I have a 2015 110 and I already think I drew the short straw with having the crummy centre diff (at least there is a terrible amount of backlash somewhere) but I've not worked out whether I should worry about the wheels falling off. It gets used extensively (albeit still low mileage) on unsurfaced gravel roads at speed, and off-road, both of which cause quite a few thumps and bangs.

If there isn't a problem, what exactly changed in the later post-recall range, with regard to how the axles were made? ---
2006 Defender 110 SW 300Tdi • 2011 Ford Ranger XLT crewcab • 2015 Defender 110 Station Wagon Utility TDCi
Post #1025067 18th Feb 2024 10:04am
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
2 things are certain:
1. 2015 is mig welded swivel flanges
2. Mig welding is inferior to friction welding for this and similar applications.

There have not been any known failures after Land Rover improved the mig welding process from 2013 onwards, so 2013 onwards do not have as much risk of cracking. What exactly changed in the welding process, I think few know and would not be easy to have the information shared on a public site. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #1025073 18th Feb 2024 10:30am
spudfan

Ireland 
When the Wilkes brothers were in charge of Rover the engineering side of things was paramount. Sadly things changed when the accountancy department began laying down the law. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #1025084 18th Feb 2024 12:14pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
BogMonster wrote:
I have scanned through this thread and I can't at the moment see the answer (but may have missed it).

What is the score for much later vehicles? 2015 to end of production? I have a 2015 110 and I already think I drew the short straw with having the crummy centre diff (at least there is a terrible amount of backlash somewhere) but I've not worked out whether I should worry about the wheels falling off. It gets used extensively (albeit still low mileage) on unsurfaced gravel roads at speed, and off-road, both of which cause quite a few thumps and bangs.

If there isn't a problem, what exactly changed in the later post-recall range, with regard to how the axles were made?

As Dinnu says, yours , like mine, will be mig welded but hopefully in a way that addressed the poor mig welding on the axle cases in the recall range. However given your use I would recommend you buy the axle brackets and fit them as a bit more insurance in case the worse happens, plus make inspecting the axle case welds part of your regular weekly checks of the vehicle, especially the nearside one.

The brackets are not that expensive, just a little hard to source at present, and only take an hour at most to fit if you have the correct tools, the threads are not heavily corroded and the bushes are in good condition without the bolts being seized in them.

Re your backlash issue, could be the gearbox to transfer box output shaft ( a common issue) , could be the rear drive shafts ( single piece shafts or HD shafts and flanges from Ashcroft address this issue) or the prop UJ’s. Sometimes it is a combination of all theses wearing that causes backlash. It’s also worth checking the front diff to see if the pin is elongating its mounting in the diff carrier.
Probably best to get views on the backlash issue in a new or existing topic on that area
Post #1025188 19th Feb 2024 3:50pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 37 of 37 <123 ... 353637