Home > Puma (Tdci) > 2.4 hopping/kangeroo Issue on application of throttle
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Ap077

England 
2.4 hopping/kangeroo Issue on application of throttle
Morning all,

My 2.4 has done this for as long as I’ve owned it and it’s starting to annoy me now!!

When setting off from a stop, when I apply the throttle I get a bit of a hop or jumping when applying the throttle. It means I can never pull off gently from standstill. I’ve tested the clutch switch and that’s all working as it should (revs dropping when clutch applied)

Any ideas where to look next?

Thanks!
Post #1031254 11th Apr 2024 9:57am
o4dn

France 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alaska White
I reckon it could come from a number of difference causes.

FWIW, I had that issue from new on mine (Puma 2.4 from 2009), and I got rid of it using an EGR blanking plate (the one with a hole so that the MIL doesn't goes on), so in my case I blamed the EGR. “A Land Rover immobilized is a moral defeat for the driver and bad publicity for the vehicle, […] it's up to you to do justice to your Land Rover!” - Land Rover Driving Technique.
--
2009 2.4 Puma Defender 90 SW
1979 Land Rover Series 3 88"
Post #1031261 11th Apr 2024 12:55pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Any DTCs?
Post #1031262 11th Apr 2024 1:00pm
Ap077

England 
o4dn wrote:
I reckon it could come from a number of difference causes.

FWIW, I had that issue from new on mine (Puma 2.4 from 2009), and I got rid of it using an EGR blanking plate (the one with a hole so that the MIL doesn't goes on), so in my case I blamed the EGR.

I’m thinking of getting the EGR fully taken out of mine before a trip to France this year so that might be a shout!
Post #1031265 11th Apr 2024 2:05pm
Ap077

England 
blackwolf wrote:
Any DTCs?

No DTC’s and that’s checked with a dealer SDD machine
Post #1031266 11th Apr 2024 2:06pm
andy63

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 CSW Aintree Green
I bought my 2.2tdci a couple years back and noticed it had a tendency to kangaroo or get rather erratic on pulling away at times.. Difficult to put my finger on why.. I sort of thought the clutch switch response might have something to do with it..
A bas map does ease the problem, but it can still do it if not driven shall we say sympathetically and take your time with the gear shifting..
Post #1031271 11th Apr 2024 3:12pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
If there are no DTCs my immediate suspicion would be a faulty VCV. It the the least reliable component and the one with least fault monitoring, so a fault without DTCs usually (but not always) is a VCV fault.
Post #1031274 11th Apr 2024 4:12pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
As BW mentioned just above. Also, driveline slop in the rear can cause a lot of these things and worn bushes.
This causing a lot of movement an less precise feel to the clutch bite meaning it’s taken up more harshly than expected, possibly with a slight torque reduction with the clutch switch.

Wearing heavy footwear is something to bear in mind as well, on a Defender you don’t want too light, but not too heavy either.
Yes, the pedals are fairly large but all the same the feel is limited and more harsh on driveline. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #1031277 11th Apr 2024 5:00pm
Ap077

England 
andy63 wrote:
I bought my 2.2tdci a couple years back and noticed it had a tendency to kangaroo or get rather erratic on pulling away at times.. Difficult to put my finger on why.. I sort of thought the clutch switch response might have something to do with it..
A bas map does ease the problem, but it can still do it if not driven shall we say sympathetically and take your time with the gear shifting..

That’s handy to know as I have a mapped ECU for a 2.4 at my disposal!
Post #1031280 11th Apr 2024 5:03pm
Ap077

England 
custom90 wrote:
As BW mentioned just above. Also, driveline slop in the rear can cause a lot of these things and worn bushes.
This causing a lot of movement an less precise feel to the clutch bite meaning it’s taken up more harshly than expected, possibly with a slight torque reduction with the clutch switch.

Wearing heavy footwear is something to bear in mind as well, on a Defender you don’t want too light, but not too heavy either.
Yes, the pedals are fairly large but all the same the feel is limited and more harsh on driveline.

My rear axle flanges have a fair bit of play in them so I’ll change these as a matter of urgency! Thanks mate
Post #1031281 11th Apr 2024 5:03pm
Ap077

England 
blackwolf wrote:
If there are no DTCs my immediate suspicion would be a faulty VCV. It the the least reliable component and the one with least fault monitoring, so a fault without DTCs usually (but not always) is a VCV fault.

Hopefully it’s not the VCV as I out a Denso one on 2 years ago but I’ll consider replacing it anyway
Post #1031282 11th Apr 2024 5:04pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Check the rear dampers, and rear A frame bushes and ball joint whilst you are at it and prop UJ’s as best you can.
Rear DM’s make it very loose though that’s for sure. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #1031283 11th Apr 2024 5:37pm
BrunoJ

Norway 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
If that's not mechanical issue, before checking VCV, have a look into MAF, maybe worth to clean or test with other one. I described recently my case - I was running my 2.2 with incorrect MAF (from 2.4) for few years, replaced by previous owner (part incorrectly marked by shops as matching required LR number). I struggled a little bit when I drove at very slow speed, e.g. within traffic jam. I had to play with half-clutch to avoid kangeroo'ing. And some other similar situations (bumpers etc)
After replacing with new and proper MAF, no issues any more. The issue was not spotted by any LR service I visited. It is probably unusual to have incorrect part mounted, so I don't think so it will be your case, but that shows that failure of MAF (or cables around) can cause such symptoms.
Post #1032010 18th Apr 2024 2:37pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
MAF is critical, and causes a lot of problems so you could be right there, the wire sheath cracking going into the connector can be a problem too.
Compounded by the fact that the cable wires enter at an angle, in quite an exposed location. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #1032050 18th Apr 2024 6:26pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
I suppose there could be an exception , but in general a MAF issue will cause a DTC .

Is your fuel filter a genuine one , and when was it last changed ?
Post #1032056 18th Apr 2024 7:17pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>