↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Entreqs New Steering Guard.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
ibexman

United Kingdom 
Who wants to phaff about with 2 Barbie shackles when you can get one thats up to the job Thumbs Up Thumbs Up If you look at it properly it also reduces approach angle Neutral
Post #99664 13th Nov 2011 1:05pm
Romadog

Surely to recover correctly then equal pull should be applied to each chassis rail, hence two shackles Question Exclamation
Post #99668 13th Nov 2011 1:35pm
Lorryman100

There are two shackles on the guard, only one is pictured in the prototype but you can see the thread for the other shackle on the other side.

Drawing with two shackles mounted.

Click image to enlarge

One shackle fitted.

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #99669 13th Nov 2011 1:40pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ibexman

United Kingdom 
Sorry shackles still mm I would like to see one of those brackets after a snatch pull ??? some on here have too much money Laughing Laughing
Post #99678 13th Nov 2011 2:17pm
Lorryman100

I really don't know why there is so much issue over the shackles as they don't come with the guard or shackle mounts. The reason being they are over a £100 each from RUD direct as they are tested and certified lifting equipment. As I said earlier, any M16 threaded shackle will fit.
I will be fitting the RUD shackles on mine when I get one simply because that is what the guard has been designed to use on the recommendation of Engineers more qualified in stress loads than me. Simples. Thumbs Up

As to money, you have to spread the wealth........... Whistle
Post #99681 13th Nov 2011 2:33pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ibexman

United Kingdom 
Give me some Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Post #99684 13th Nov 2011 2:35pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
leeds wrote:
Darren have you got your units mixed up?

8000kg = 17,600 lbs.

Vast majority of recovery winches are typically 8,000 - 9,600 lbs with larger ones being 12,000 - 16,000lbs

Argh, yes! I meant 8000lbs rather than kgs Rolling Eyes

Red Desert wrote:
The shackles of RUD (one shackle) implement(s) the 4-fold safety for towed loads. To do this, you must speak with the engineers from RUD not to make a wrong choice.

Nothwithstanding my unit mix-up, the point still stands though - a combined rating of 3000kgs is still light for a loaded 90, let alone a 110. All rated hardware of this type includes a safety factor but it's not good practice to rely on it by choosing something under-rated for the expected loads in the first place.

In practice, of course, I realise that unless you're doing extreme challenge events, those sorts of loads probably won't be experienced by the vast majority of weekend off-roaders, so for most it's a moot point. My bigger concern is the positioning, which IMHO is too low down making it both difficult to get to and vulerable to impact damage. Don't get me wrong though - as Mike mentioned earlier, it's clearly very well put together. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #99700 13th Nov 2011 5:03pm
BigMike

United Kingdom 
Lorryman100 wrote:
I really don't know why there is so much issue over the shackles as they don't come with the guard or shackle mounts. The reason being they are over a £100 each from RUD direct as they are tested and certified lifting equipment. As I said earlier, any M16 threaded shackle will fit.
I will be fitting the RUD shackles on mine when I get one simply because that is what the guard has been designed to use on the recommendation of Engineers more qualified in stress loads than me. Simples. Thumbs Up

As to money, you have to spread the wealth........... Whistle

That's cool Bri as long as you only use them for towing, NOT recovery. Give me anchors on/to the chassis even for towing, much safer. A fully loaded 110 can nearly top 4 tonnes.

and RD - I'll try to buy local where I can but ultimately I'll choose the right product for the job, I don't care where it's made. and buying german made hardly helps the UK, if I buy something from a uk retailer which is made in china, that's fine by me. If I thought an Entreq product was right for the job I'd have it though Thumbs Up but from what I see, Entreq is Landrover Gucci.
Post #99702 13th Nov 2011 5:20pm
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Yes it looks attractive and very nicely made Thumbs Up

My Southdown guard is all steel and bolted to the steel chassis Smile I agree that these guards can scoop stuff into the engine bay on certain reverse recovery situations. Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #99703 13th Nov 2011 5:21pm
ibexman

United Kingdom 
I had a southdown guard on one of my 90s and i used to jack up from it with a trolley jack ,Southdown are no more i hear ??
Post #99711 13th Nov 2011 6:10pm
BigMike

United Kingdom 
And another thing (on a grumpy roll now Laughing ), lots of people are so quick get steering guards, but not so quick (if ever) to get fuel tank guards when the tank is more likely to be damaged on rocks than the steering. I have a brand new one for sale at a good price yet no takers which I find most odd.
Post #99738 13th Nov 2011 7:29pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Following Mikes post on our red 110 we have standard fuel tank guarded by a Southdown guard. The wing tank it is not possible to get an aftermarket tank guard. Solution double bottom it.

Black 110 has a 120 litre main tank plus a wing tank. Not possible to get after market tank guard for 120 litre fuel tank. Solution double bottom it and double bottom wing tank.

Yes it is possible to get equipment purpose built to meet your needs.

Yes there is good gear out there, yes you can get gear made to suit YOUR needs.

Good gear is available to suit YOUR NEEDS

Just remember only buy cheap if you can afford it as you may well be buying it again and again........

Brendan
Post #99744 13th Nov 2011 7:45pm
BigMike

United Kingdom 
I agree with the meet your needs thing Brendan. My point is that people who are quick to get steering guards are less quick to get tank guards - it's a case of "right, I've got a defender, I need 1) a steering guard, 2) a hi-lift jack, 3) a split charge (without actually thinking about what theyre going to use the vehicle for)

Perhaps I'm being unfair, but you get the idea.
Post #99748 13th Nov 2011 7:54pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
OK we may be getting OT but personally I have argued needs over wants for a long time.

People sometimes get bemused when I ask them do YOU actually need a roof rack/winch or other expensive bit of kit. Needs and wants are different things then there is budget. Remember I sell kit! Roof bars can be cheaper, lighter and more suitable for just mounting a roof tent on.

The high lift jack in my opinion is the most over rated and incorrectly used piece of kit going. A bottle jack, folding axle stand will do what MOST people use a high lift for and much safer, also cheaper as well Thumbs Up

Likewise a decent shovel is the most under rated bit of kit going. I am not talking about the folding camping shovel either

Carefully consider YOUR NEEDS and your budget and ensure that you get a good bit of kit which meets your needs. If you can not afford that bit of kit that you need then consider saving for next 2/3 months or more to get it. Buy cheap pay twice over.

Sorry for going off on a tangent.

Brendan
Post #99758 13th Nov 2011 8:30pm
big steve

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Montalcino Red
£500 thats a front winch nearly 2015 2.2 tdci hardtop xs
3.2 conversion DONE 238bhp and 707nm torque and thats just the start ;-P
hybrid turbo in build -done ready to fit
ashcroft atb in transfer box
6 speed auto in build
Post #99781 13th Nov 2011 9:32pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>