↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Entreqs New Steering Guard.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
mermoto

Top quality but surely flawed design. The ridge at back will in some situations get stuck on a rock or tree stump! The point of the guard is not only to take impact to ptotect the steering but to also allow the front to slide up over the obstruction. The tiny vents are also pointless. Give me a Cor4 design and keep the change. Cool

Mermoto
Post #99603 13th Nov 2011 1:03am
BigMike

United Kingdom 
MK wrote:
What is with all these steering guards when you get stuck and you need to pull back the Defender? they all look pretty "sharp" in the back

Exactly. They act like snow/mud ploughs in reverse. The absolute best steering guard for the defender (in my opinion) is the OEM bar. Simple, effective, incredibly cheap.
Post #99605 13th Nov 2011 1:55am
ibexman

United Kingdom 
What use is 1500kg shackle a fully kited 90 is well over 2000kg Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Post #99606 13th Nov 2011 2:05am
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
That is a very nicely designed bit of kit.....I like!! If it is anything like their other products it will be ridiculously well made Shocked You could understand this high level of production and finish for the medical industry or NASA but it's almost an insult to then bolt their stuff onto a Defender Laughing

The argument re-cost is a bit of a loss leader when you spend 15 - 30K on a Defender and other marques can be had so much cheaper (in the majority of cases they will do what most people want a 4X4 for!). Some people like me pay the extra because they love the design. I have just spent 7K on a 9K boat (Wink bargain!) when I could of got something 20 years younger for 3K but the demand for the attractive traditional boat designs pushes prices up to crazy levels. I don't mind paying the extra because to appreciate the looks of something gives me so much satisfaction. There is always a demand for well built quality stuff and people will pay for it. It's all relative as well of course, £500 to one person is the same as £50 to another - shame I am in the latter bracket so won't be buying one just yet Whistle
Post #99621 13th Nov 2011 10:06am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
I have the OEM from new and it looks the job (I like solid things underneath me). Unfortunately, I've not had a chance to really "use" it yet Sad
However, for style and build quality the Entreq stuff is excellent i.e. for anything in the cabin, around the bodywork etc.
Just waiting for the newly-designed stainless threshes now Smile Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #99627 13th Nov 2011 10:23am
Lorryman100

ibexman wrote:
What use is 1500kg shackle a fully kited 90 is well over 2000kg Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

1500kg x 2 =3000 kg, well it did when I went to school Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Post #99633 13th Nov 2011 10:58am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Red Desert

Germany 
If you bring a new product on the market, you should know beforehand whether you want it generally better (and thus expensive) to make, or if you try to sell on price as much as possible.

If you look at different products on the market you have to wonder about these prices. Cheap imported goods will cost much needed jobs in your own country, add a lot of damage to the environment and waste resources. In the long run this is certainly not a good decision. Fortunately, everyone must decide for himself whether he has a problem with this circumstances or not.

Therefore, the shackles come from RUD and not from a provider of the Far East. Also, everyone can decide whether to buy a Lada Niva or a Defender, a Hyundai Terracan or a Range Rover. And that's a good thing.

Each manufacturer of a product welcomes qualified criticism of his product, so he can make it even better.
Post #99641 13th Nov 2011 11:32am
JSG

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Anyone know who makes the OEM steering guard? John

http://www.hampshire4x4response.co.uk

2011 Tdci 110 CSW XS
Post #99649 13th Nov 2011 11:58am
BigMike

United Kingdom 
Zagato wrote:
That is a very nicely designed bit of kit.....I like!! If it is anything like their other products it will be ridiculously well made Shocked You could understand this high level of production and finish for the medical industry or NASA but it's almost an insult to then bolt their stuff onto a Defender Laughing

The argument re-cost is a bit of a loss leader when you spend 15 - 30K on a Defender and other marques can be had so much cheaper (in the majority of cases they will do what most people want a 4X4 for!). Some people like me pay the extra because they love the design. I have just spent 7K on a 9K boat (Wink bargain!) when I could of got something 20 years younger for 3K but the demand for the attractive traditional boat designs pushes prices up to crazy levels. I don't mind paying the extra because to appreciate the looks of something gives me so much satisfaction. There is always a demand for well built quality stuff and people will pay for it. It's all relative as well of course, £500 to one person is the same as £50 to another - shame I am in the latter bracket so won't be buying one just yet Whistle

Zag, this isnt really an argument about cost, it's clearly really well made and almost a work of metallic art. My issue is that something like this with its associated cost is simply not required when LR make a bar which is perfect for the job. On mine I hit it plenty of times and it always stayed rigid, no dents, no problems. I'm all for spending money to get the right bit of kit for the job, but when the right bit of kit is 15 quid or so from ebay (new), and not even expensive from LR, I see no point in spending hundreds on something which actually just isn't as good as the cheaper one. If you get stuck in deep mud or snow and have to be pulled out backwards, these types of guards force mud / snow / sand straight up into the engine bay, I've seen it happen plenty of times. They can also make rear recover incredibly difficult because they just dig in.

However, if you want something which looks good and is really well made but you're not actually going to use it for its intended purpose, then that's a personal choice, it's one I can't really relate to, but fair enough.

and to red desert - your argument about "cheap imports" doesn't really hold any weight since we are in the UK and the product is made in Germany. If we buy one that's simply money flowing out of the UK, there is zero benefit. I say again though, in terms of build, it looks fantastically well made.
Post #99651 13th Nov 2011 12:02pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Lorryman100 wrote:
ibexman wrote:

1500kg x 2 =3000 kg, well it did when I went to school Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

That's a good point, actually. The recovery forces involved with a properly stuck vehicle are much more than merely the kerb weight. For many years, the standard rating for vehicle winches was typically 8000kgs, although much bigger ones are more common these days. This rating is largely based on the force needed to extract a laden vehicle form axle deep mud, which can reach two or three times the kerb weight.

There's a much more detailed explanation of this in the book, Vehicle Dependent Expedition Guide by Tom Sheppard.

Typical individual shackle ratings for recovery purposes on Land Rover scales are 4.75 tonnes. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #99652 13th Nov 2011 12:22pm
Red Desert

Germany 
@ Big Mike

just because a manufacturer claims his product made in the UK or made ​​in Germany, it does not mean that the manufacturer is telling the truth.

Many german and english products for land rover come from Bulgaria, the Czech Republic, Poland, or Ukraine. INERNATIONAL trade is nothing wrong as long as the customer is not misled.
Post #99653 13th Nov 2011 12:25pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Yeah I'd cry my eyes out if I ever scratched it Mike Big Cry Laughing
Post #99654 13th Nov 2011 12:26pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Darren have you got your units mixed up?

8000kg = 17,600 lbs.

Vast majority of recovery winches are typically 8,000 - 9,600 lbs with larger ones being 12,000 - 16,000lbs

Brendan

PS A online recovery text is billy vista recovery bible found HERE for those who do not have a copy of Tom Sheppards book

Last edited by leeds on 13th Nov 2011 12:36pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #99655 13th Nov 2011 12:27pm
Red Desert

Germany 
LandRoverAnorak wrote:
Lorryman100 wrote:
ibexman wrote:

That's a good point, actually. The recovery forces involved with a properly stuck vehicle are much more than merely the kerb weight. For many years, the standard rating for vehicle winches was typically 8000kgs, although much bigger ones are more common these days. This rating is largely based on the force needed to extract a laden vehicle form axle deep mud, which can reach two or three times the kerb weight.

There's a much more detailed explanation of this in the book, Vehicle Dependent Expedition Guide by Tom Sheppard.

Typical individual shackle ratings for recovery purposes on Land Rover scales are 4.75 tonnes.

The shackles of RUD (one shackle) implement(s) the 4-fold safety for towed loads. To do this, you must speak with the engineers from RUD not to make a wrong choice.
Post #99656 13th Nov 2011 12:29pm
ibexman

United Kingdom 
[quote="Lorryman100"]
ibexman wrote:

1500kg x 2 =3000 kg, well it did when I went to school Rolling Eyes :rol ..:
Post #99662 13th Nov 2011 1:02pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>