↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > A-Plan Insurance > Accident
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
tolley

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Oslo Blue
Accident
Can anyone tell me the in and outs of car hire ,after a non fault accident, my insurance have got me a hire car at the other drivers insurance cost , but now there insurance has said I have to accept these hire agreements and maybe costs .
Post #1023092 31st Jan 2024 12:17pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I think you have to be careful here. You will effectively be signing an agreement that if for any reason the cost of the hire can't be recovered from the third party then you would be liable. That's certainly what mine was like a few years ago. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #1023112 31st Jan 2024 4:26pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
When I was an account manager (commercial) there was a case that we were told about from the personal team.

A premier league footballer was involved in an accident cause by a third party. He accepted the third party advice to use their repairers and was given a Porche hirer car.

The third party then refuded the claim, the primary insurer refused to cover the damage as the footballer hadn’t told them of the loss first and did not use their approved repairers.

And in a nutshell the footballer had to pay £80k for the vehicle hire……..

They are not thinking of you, but how they can get a return on the loss.

Only deal with your own insurer and tell any third party if they communicate to you via letter, email or phone call to deal directly with whom you are insured with.

I hope that in some way that helps.

This also applies to the ‘ I’ am sorry, get me a quote and I will pay for your damage crowd ’. Nope, it goes through the insurance company, and if it effects their insurance premium that’s not your problem.
Post #1023119 31st Jan 2024 5:23pm
RDR

United Kingdom 
Be really careful I once ended up in court over hire car costs. MRS RDR had a tipper truck roll back into our brand new RS6 in standing traffic it made a right mess of all the front panels. I was put into a Diesel A4 hire car for 12 weeks whilst the car was fixed. Bill came to £14k! insurer tried to pass cost onto the lorry company who then tried to take me for it. Was really messy but the courts totally sided with me when it got to crunch day. Added another £9k in costs to the bill for them! Total Stress. 110 MY23.5 X Dynamic HSE
RR MY23 HSE PHEV
D5 MY19 HSE - Now Sold
D4 MY16 HSE Luxury - Now Sold
D4 MY12 HSE - Gone
D3 MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten
Post #1023206 1st Feb 2024 12:49pm
Scotm

Scotland 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Orkney Grey
Isn't this the sort of thing you pay extra legal cover for on your insurance to sort out on your behalf?
Post #1023207 1st Feb 2024 12:52pm
RDR

United Kingdom 
I had Legal assistance through my insurance who helped me fight the case but it didn't negate the risk of significant cost coming to me if it went the wrong way. 110 MY23.5 X Dynamic HSE
RR MY23 HSE PHEV
D5 MY19 HSE - Now Sold
D4 MY16 HSE Luxury - Now Sold
D4 MY12 HSE - Gone
D3 MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten
Post #1023230 1st Feb 2024 4:26pm
seriesonenut

United Kingdom 
I am in the same position. I do have legal cover and this will fund the car hire if they are unable to recover it.

I was not even in my 110 when it was driven into by a commercial mobile catering van, caught red handed, with witnesses but the company is refusing to correspond with my insurers.

They may go the County Court route and have asked if I will be a witness. You bet was my reply!

Shocking in this day and age you can damage someones property then just shrug shoulders and walk away grrrrr Evil or Very Mad 2010 XS USW
1957 Series One 88 diesel
1958 Series One 88 4x2
Post #1023252 1st Feb 2024 6:48pm
Ianb

United Kingdom 
Someone already said it, but do not communicate to any insurance company other than your own! All communication with the 3rd party insurance company should be in writing to your own insurance company and then they can figure out what is right and wrong.

Your insurance company works for you (kinda..), their insurance company is currently at a loss, the won't want to be your friend and make more of a loss with you either. The Yeti - 110 Camper https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic90308.html
https://www.youtube.com/@YetitheDefender
Post #1023278 2nd Feb 2024 12:15am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1