↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Tdi > Coolant Loss but how much?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
MattH268

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 HCPU Fuji White
Coolant Loss but how much?
Hi, this is probably going to be a really stupid question so I apologies, but I can't find an answer by searching anywhere. My 300tdi has been leaking a smidge of coolant from the header tank cap not a lot and I've been meaning to replace it. Yesterday after a drive I saw coolant dripping off the chassis leg and steering damper & guard. This time the rad cap was a bit loose, but the seal had been damaged. I have a Allisport Header Tank and Allisport full size radiator. The sight on the Header tank is about half and I don't know if it should be a bit more than this. When I had the rad cap off the level was about an inch and a half down, should this be full?

Simply my question is, on an Allisport sight gauge what should the level be? I can't find this anywhere and it's probably really stupid to ask and second should the rad be full?

I'm about to set off to collect the wife from the airport and hopefully it's ok. All I've done is tighten the caps and add an O-ring to the rad cap, but I don't have coolant and I don't know how much has been lost.

Many Thanks Matt 300tdi 90 CSW
2.2tdci 110 HCPU
1972 Series 3 88" Truck Cab
Post #1017311 3rd Dec 2023 8:38pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
I would suspect 2/3rds to 3/4s full and get that cap sorted ASAP Thumbs Up The Iveco one with the hose bayonet is an excellent cap.
Post #1017330 3rd Dec 2023 10:41pm
MattH268

Thanks for the reply, I'd seen posts about the Iveco cap, but it seemed to be for TD5 & Puma not 300tdi & I didn't know if all of the header tanks used the same cap? I was going to order the NTC7161 stock cap that's been on the vehicle for a good while, but I'll see what I can find. 300tdi 90 CSW
2.2tdci 110 HCPU
Post #1017344 4th Dec 2023 8:12am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
I could be wrong but I thought the caps were interchangeable between the 200/300/TD5/TDCI. Appear to be the same thread pattern anyway.
Post #1017441 4th Dec 2023 8:17pm
MattH268

All sorted, topped up with the same red/pink coolant, new rad & thermostat O-rings and a new stock cap. The expansion tank cap on my 2.2 is much smaller than the cap on the 300tdi so at least 2 different types.

Also just repaired the heater duct with a new seal and lined it up as it had about an inch gap hopefully it gets more airflow now!

M 300tdi 90 CSW
2.2tdci 110 HCPU
Post #1019311 26th Dec 2023 6:14pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Take a look around the radiator, coolant hoses and connections whilst you are there, a minor leak under pressure can be a small leak only.
Also the water pump too, especially the edge nearest the floor for coolant traces usually dye can be dry or just a drip.

You can sometimes get just a very small leak that only loses a very small amount of coolant when hot, and under pressure, then dries up.
Typically just a little top up of coolant once or twice a year, I find is normal.
But more than that, more than 1L in a year or having to periodically add more every month or two, usually there is a minor leak.
And from there will usually get slowly worse over so many more months after that, mid winter is usually when it can occur due to temperature dropping and more excessive expansion and contraction just due to the normal changes in outdoor temperature.
A good coolant usually keeps things in good order, I replaced mine (the coolant) a couple of years ago but, it’s got a long life on modern coolant manufactures. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. β›½οΈπŸ›’οΈπŸ‘¨β€πŸ”§πŸ§°βš™οΈ RED, WHITE & BOOST! πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§
Post #1019330 26th Dec 2023 10:23pm
MattH268

Duly noted to check when driven again. My 300tdi hasn't been used in the last few weeks but I'd not really had the chance to fit the new expansion cap & seals which I knew were damaged and where all of the coolant had collected around. 300tdi 90 CSW
2.2tdci 110 HCPU
Post #1019345 27th Dec 2023 10:19am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1