↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > LS3 Conversion - what do I need to know?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Shroppy

United Kingdom 1986 Defender 130 V8 Petrol HCPU Aintree Green
LS3 Conversion - what do I need to know?
To avoid detracting from other threads, I thought it best to start another.

Following some thinking, and more crucially some serious man maths (£still to spend on current build direction + £resale of current engine and box + £££ = £LS3), I am now seriously considering an LS3 and 6L80E for my 127. This would be a seriously extravagant change in direction, and a choice I cannot make lightly, so I'm appealing to those more knowledgeable than myself.

Initial questions:

- What to buy? Crate? Used?
- Where to buy from?
- Anything to be aware of?

As a starter, I contacted Kolby of TurnkeyEngine.com who suggested the following:

"GM LS3 430 hp 450tq aluminum block new GM crate engine Car style complete with injectors, fuel rail, etc forward facing

Late truck Oil Sump

N6 fuel rail adapters

p/s pump inc reservoir reduce pressure for LR steering box

low RH side a/c mount with vintage air SD709 compressor

Starter

Alternator(150amp) upper LH side mount includes mount

6L80e 4wd Trans Converter Dust covers Converter & bell housing hardware

4x4 adapter housing 6l80e required for RW adapter

Dip stick

ECU & harness

02 sensors

MAF sensor

Mounting bungs for o2s and MAF

DBW pedal

exhaust manifolds ceramic coated to work with RW Y pipe

MAF intake tube, throttle body coupler, K&N filter

EFI post filter/ regulator inc an6 adapter fittings, AN6 fuel rail adapter

LS3 Corvette coil covers

Engine test run with all your components, All ECU & TCU programming including program for gear ratio and tire size."

I would be undertaking the work myself, and am a competent mechanic and fabricator (though not by trade). I am also very fortunate to have some well regarded engine tuners and mechanics as friends.

Any thoughts or advice appreciated! 1985 127 V8 Build Thread
Series 2 109"
Series 1 80"
Post #1015004 13th Nov 2023 8:47pm
MarkBrown

United Kingdom 1983 Defender 110 Other HT Auto Keswick Green
I bet it would be a great engine, particularly in a 127. I would think stronger drive flanges, half shafts, cv's, diffs, transfer box would need to be budgeted for too - depending on how it's driven. It seems to be a popular engine swap in the states, probably for good reason. I'd love to see it done!
Post #1015028 13th Nov 2023 11:04pm
LJMARSDEN

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Java Black
If You could find a corvette here and break it, that would be great.

Importing these things is what turned me away Sad Luke Marsden

06 V8 1UZFE Defender 90

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/defender__v8/
Post #1015029 13th Nov 2023 11:04pm
Shroppy

MarkBrown wrote:
I would think stronger drive flanges, half shafts, cv's, diffs, transfer box would need to be budgeted for too - depending on how it's driven.

Fortunately this is all in progress, I have the following ready/planned:

- Late 110 Wolf Type rear axle with pegged Quaife LSD and Ashcroft shafts. Pegged Ashcroft ATB, shafts and CVs planned for the front.

- Fully rebuilt L230 with Ashcroft ATB and sleeved casing. Though I'd need to change the ratio from 1.4 to 1.2?.

I haven't planned for bigger brakes yet, but have been eyeing up the LOF 16" kit. 1985 127 V8 Build Thread
Series 2 109"
Series 1 80"

Last edited by Shroppy on 14th Nov 2023 9:44am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #1015046 14th Nov 2023 8:03am
Shroppy

LJMARSDEN wrote:
If You could find a corvette here and break it, that would be great.

Importing these things is what turned me away Sad

That would be ideal, if a little unlikely I fear Big Cry Buying a used engine and transmission from the states makes me a little uneasy, but if I can find a reputable seller then it may be a way forward.

Does anyone have experience of tax on USA imports? 1985 127 V8 Build Thread
Series 2 109"
Series 1 80"
Post #1015050 14th Nov 2023 8:25am
MarkBrown

United Kingdom 1983 Defender 110 Other HT Auto Keswick Green
Shroppy wrote:
MarkBrown wrote:
I would think stronger drive flanges, half shafts, cv's, diffs, transfer box would need to be budgeted for too - depending on how it's driven.

- Late 110 Wolf Type rear axle with pegged Quaife LSD and Ashcroft shafts. Pegged Ashcroft ATB and shafts and CVs planned for the front.

- Fully rebuilt L230 with Ashcroft ATB and sleeved casing. Though I'd need to change the ratio from 1.4 to 1.2?

Be careful with the ratio, my 606 110, with 255 85's has the 1.2 and it's just too high, unless you want to run at 80+ on the motorway. The thing with mine is that the zf4 automatic won't go into '5th' ( lock-up ) until 56 mph, so on a normal road it often can't use '5th' unless you aim to make 60 a target, not a limit. This could well be the way this gearbox is set up, those with electronic controls might be completely different. It's just annoying. I'm planning to go back to a 1.4, but a 1.3 might be just right. I've the Salisbury axle which is standard ( apart from discs ) and Ashcroft shafts in the front with 24 spline diif, but still broke a CV whilst green laning, which was probably just my fault being a bit hard on it, but who knows.

Good luck with it, I'd be really interested to see it, especially when it's done!
Post #1015055 14th Nov 2023 8:49am
LJMARSDEN

I wouldn’t stress the drivetrain too much just yet. Chances are you’ll be fine with the later axles of TD5 onward. Centre diff is the main concern. I’d personally recommend a built transfer case with an LSD (ATB) and then replace items that wear from there. As the cost will be no different whether you will be pre-emptively replacing the item or when it fails, just break it far from home lol

There are plenty of places that import V8 motors from the states. Issue is they attach tax to the price already so we’re being rinsed for the privilege of owning a 6.3 right off the bat. Rolling with laughter

I have a 4.0 1UZ in my own, 280bhp, similar in torque. It pulls well however with a 130/110 the later 3UZ with VVTI would be a better idea… dare I say a supercharger Whistle

That’s if you get frustrated with the costs of course. Luke Marsden

06 V8 1UZFE Defender 90

Post #1015059 14th Nov 2023 9:58am
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
Here in France you would need to have it reinspected to get it roadworthy and you probably have to provide a detailed engineering report including various intermediate inspection. It would be a major project.

Then you would have to insure it.

You see fun is not allowed in France, although not as bad as Switzerland where you would be forced to commit suicide. Obviously I take it that in the UK this is different.
Post #1015060 14th Nov 2023 10:23am
LJMARSDEN

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Luke Marsden

06 V8 1UZFE Defender 90

Post #1015061 14th Nov 2023 10:25am
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
M57.... Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #1015078 14th Nov 2023 3:43pm
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
MarkBrown wrote:
I bet it would be a great engine, particularly in a 127. I would think stronger drive flanges, half shafts, cv's, diffs, transfer box would need to be budgeted for too - depending on how it's driven. It seems to be a popular engine swap in the states, probably for good reason. I'd love to see it done!

I wouldn't have thought you'd need to do any of this. Maybe a rear ATB. But LT230's have been race proven to easily handle 400hp+ under extreme conditions. And you only really need to upgrade the axles if you break stuff. But it will depend largely how you drive.
Post #1015094 14th Nov 2023 6:10pm
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
Shroppy wrote:
MarkBrown wrote:

- Late 110 Wolf Type rear axle with pegged Quaife LSD and Ashcroft shafts. Pegged Ashcroft ATB, shafts and CVs planned for the front.

- Fully rebuilt L230 with Ashcroft ATB and sleeved casing. Though I'd need to change the ratio from 1.4 to 1.2?.

I haven't planned for bigger brakes yet, but have been eyeing up the LOF 16" kit.

Bigger brakes I'd say would be top of the list. You won't believe how much more speed you'll be able to achieve between corners.

As for gearing. It depends. Remember a naturally aspirated V8 will still do it's best work at mid to high rpms. Sure, it is big displacement and makes loads of low end grunt too. But the run happens above 4000rpm. Tall gearing just saps the fun out of an engine IMO.

I'd be tempted to leave your transfer box as is and run it first. If you break your transfer box, you'll have to make this decision. But if you don't (I think it'd be fine), then you can at least see how it goes with stock gearing first and make a decision if you want taller gearing or not. Going straight to a 1.2 and you'll never know what might have been.
Post #1015096 14th Nov 2023 6:13pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Wow, I can't help but sounds a great project! Please do keep us posted with progress, so I can live vicariously thru you.

You'll be familiar with the other LS3 threads on here I assume, for example MCMA1 https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic65587.html?highlight=ls3 and MrFirePro LT1 but https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic75493.html James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #1015097 14th Nov 2023 6:17pm
Linds Hanson

United Kingdom 
Shroppy wrote:
MarkBrown wrote:

I haven't planned for bigger brakes yet, but have been eyeing up the LOF 16" kit.
I would'nt bother with a ATB in the front the usually make the steering feel numb, also do you really want V8 fuel consumption in a 130? A tuned M57 with a 8 speed auto would give more than enough performance but with some bearable fuel economy. Unless you just want the V8 sound track of course a LT1 would offer more efficency.
Post #1015107 14th Nov 2023 7:27pm
Shroppy

Thanks all for your thoughts, to respond to some of them:

M57 - Not off the cards, I'm just not sold on it either. I suppose I'm a little concerned (and mean no offense by this) that they are the Perkins/Essex V6 conversions of their day, and may end up devaluing the vehicle in the future.

Axles - Some good points raised, I already have quite a few of the parts in stock so am minded to complete the process rather than risk snapping a stock half shaft and ruining an expensive diff centre... we'll see. Not sold on an ATB upfront so might look at a 4-pin.

LT230 - Again some good points raised, I have fully rebuilt an LT230 with mostly new parts inc. an Ashcroft ATB. I think I'll stick with the 1.4 ratio for the time being, but might opt for an increased capacity sump.

Brakes - I suspect that if I go down this route, I'll upgrade to something more powerful longer term. For the time being, I have a set of new Genuine callipers that I have fitted stainless pistons to.

LT1 - Less of a price difference between this and the LS3 than I thought. Need to investigate.

To give you an idea of my rationale behind this build:

OEM+ - I was fortunate to purchase a number of good value, new components, inc. new galvanised chassis, bulkhead etc. early on in the build. This prompted a decision to build a 'new' (or as near to it as possible) vehicle to an OEM+ standard. Hence the fully rebuilt LT230, axles etc.

Blank canvas - At this point in the build, I can change direction in terms of engine and transmission without too many consequences. However, I would like to make an informed decision that I don't live to regret. I have adaptor plates for the chassis so can mount anything within reason.

Performance / MPG - I had originally planned to use a new 4.6 RV8 that I have 'in stock' with what is essentially a new and uprated R380 gearbox. Trouble is, I think I'll be underwhelmed by the power, and saddened by the rate at which it drinks fuel. A 127/130 is a big vehicle, especially when spec'd with a roll cage etc. Throw in a 3.5T trailer and it's a unit.

This prompted me to consider other options including (but not limited to) M57, 3UZ, LS3, TD5 and their associated transmissions. My thought process being that I could justify reduced MPG if it was in favour of bags of power and a lovely soundtrack. Alternatively, a torquey diesel would fit the bill but it would need to fit the OEM+ build ethos.

Resale value / Budget - Whilst not an immediate concern, I am keeping the resale value of the vehicle in mind. A look through the sold section of Collecting Cars suggests that LS3s seem to return the highest prices of the engine options considered. At the end of the day, whilst I do intend to keep the vehicle forever (don't we all), I am reluctant to throw money at something that won't yield a reasonable return if I came to sell it. I'm fortunate to be able to do pretty well all of the work myself, so view my labour as both a pleasure, and profit if I were to sell it.

My budget is healthy but not endless, and the engine and transmission would be in part funded by the sale of parts that I have stockpiled. I am therefore reluctant to change direction without a sound understanding of the costs and implications.

Intended use - A bit of everything really. Primarily exploring the UK and Europe, some towing and a small amount of 'work' if and when the need arises. In short, the annual mileage will be low(ish) so providing I can return an MPG of low 20s on a run, I can justify it. 1985 127 V8 Build Thread
Series 2 109"
Series 1 80"
Post #1015116 14th Nov 2023 8:17pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>