↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > LS3 Conversion - what do I need to know?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
100inch

Australia 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Santorini Black
I installed one of the first worldwide available crate L98 in 2007/2008. Swapped intake, deleted DOD and VVT. My ECU was a MAP, not MAF based one, hence a big 100mm throttle body and no need for a airflow meter. Then engine also runs a closed loop O2 system to self adjust fueling.
Would I do it again?
Never, apart if I look for cheap racing power. Those engines are cheaply made hence their price.
The thing which annoys me most is all those companies and individuals stating those power claims without even dyno tuning it. I did mine and it was 'ok'.... but explain that to someone in the pub who doesn't even know the difference between BHP, SAE HP and so on.
I take my 90 with John Eales build 5.2 everyday over any LS conversion because it suits the car so much better. Also amusing to see all those fancy engine conversions running cheap shocks, making those fancy painted brakes a waste of money. Just my thoughts. M

Click image to enlarge
Post #1015130 14th Nov 2023 9:53pm
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
Shroppy wrote:

LT1 - Less of a price difference between this and the LS3 than I thought. Need to investigate.

tbh I don't know much about the newer LT engines. I'd suspect the LS swap is easier over all including tuning and aftermarket bits. They are still the most common crate engine to go for. The newer LT might have a slight power advantage, but once you reach this level of power, does it really matter all that much?

Price wise I agree. Just hd a look and a crate LS3 is £1200 more than it was in April last year!!

I'd guess buying a used engine from the US and shipping it back might be the best way. Of course there is always risk with a used engine, but no more so than buying a used car IMO. A junkyard 6.0, even an iron block would likely do you fine. But it probably is still a lot of grunt work to source and organise, unless you can find someone who ships such things regulary.

Ultimately as much as I love the LS engines (as said, I have an LS powered Camaro). I really like the appeal of the Jaguar V8. Less common as an install, although the factory have used this in the 70th Anni models. And ultimately I think no more complex to fit than an LS would be. The main difference is you can source the Jaguar V8 easily in the UK and for sensible money. The revised 4.2 makes 305hp or the rarer 4.4 with a bit more torque. Or even a 375hp supercharged 4.2. All can be had for a fraction of the cost of an LS motor. You might even be able to find a 5.0 version for a sensible price too.

Last edited by Chicken Drumstick on 15th Nov 2023 11:16am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #1015162 15th Nov 2023 11:10am
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
100inch wrote:
I installed one of the first worldwide available crate L98 in 2007/2008. Swapped intake, deleted DOD and VVT. My ECU was a MAP, not MAF based one, hence a big 100mm throttle body and no need for a airflow meter. Then engine also runs a closed loop O2 system to self adjust fueling.
Would I do it again?
Never, apart if I look for cheap racing power. Those engines are cheaply made hence their price.
The thing which annoys me most is all those companies and individuals stating those power claims without even dyno tuning it. I did mine and it was 'ok'.... but explain that to someone in the pub who doesn't even know the difference between BHP, SAE HP and so on.
I take my 90 with John Eales build 5.2 everyday over any LS conversion because it suits the car so much better. Also amusing to see all those fancy engine conversions running cheap shocks, making those fancy painted brakes a waste of money. Just my thoughts. M

Can you explain what you mean about power? The L98 is a cast iron truck engine isn't it? Factor ratings are normally quite accurate. Google suggests 350-360hp. Which it should easily be making.

A 5.2 RV8 might be coaxed to this power level, but that really is about the max a Rover V8 can realistically make. Although I'd guess a 5.2 custom built RV8 might be 2 or 3 times the cost. And probably more racey and less suitable for a 4x4 at this power level, although good in a TVR.
Post #1015165 15th Nov 2023 11:15am
100inch

Australia 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Santorini Black
My point is that power doesn't always transfer into drivability in a Defender. 150-250bhp is all I need to give me grin in a 90/110. No, my 5.2 'only' makes 268bhp but suits the car much better than the GEN4.
My second point is that the vast majority of power claims are not proven. M
Post #1015254 15th Nov 2023 9:42pm
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
Hello shroppy from Aussie, the land of V8s!
It's an exciting project that you are undertaking, there a couple on here who've already done it, or almost completed this conversion, so you'll find a wealth of info from them.
Whichever 6.2 LS engine you choose will be fine, and if you really want to consider "ultimate Performance", then you should consider the GM supercharged "LSA", which can be bought like any other LS in crate engine form...430KW & around 770Nm from memory...over 100KW more than an LS3 or LT1!...and don't forget this is KW, not HP, we're talking!!
I've owned an HSV Commodore GTSR which comes with the LSA so I can assure you that it's a phenomenal engine,..check it out?!!....In the scheme of things when included in your total conversion cost, it wouldn't add much to your cost.
Good luck, Pickles.
Post #1015271 15th Nov 2023 11:05pm
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
100inch wrote:
My point is that power doesn't always transfer into drivability in a Defender. 150-250bhp is all I need to give me grin in a 90/110. No, my 5.2 'only' makes 268bhp but suits the car much better than the GEN4.
My second point is that the vast majority of power claims are not proven. M

I would agree that in any Defender there likely a limit to how much power is even usable and would be fun. Hence why I've also suggested the 305hp 4.2 Jaguar V8 as an alternative that is easily sourced locally in the UK.

As for power claims. GM have generally had a very good reputation for making or exceeding their power claims on all of their cars. In the USA they will be quoting SAE Net as a rule. So imperial HP at the flywheel with 'x' ancillaries/exhaust etc using correction factors for altitude, temp and air density.

In mainland Europe you might see DIN quoted, sometimes as HP or PS. This is a metric unit and slightly different size to an imperial HP and will typically give a bigger number, e.g. 158bhp = 160PS. The DIN standards are I believe relatively similar to SAE Net, although probably using a different base temp. But are mostly comparable.

When you get a car dyno'd on a rolling road it will not be to this standard and of course you are recording power at the driven wheels not the flywheel. So the number will be much lower. You can guess, sometimes using some assumptions and other data, but still a guess to try and figure out flywheel power. But in reality the figures will not be comparable. There are also huge variation in Dyno types and how they are operated. Such as using a correction value or standard or just whatever it is making there and then.

I'm guessing for some reason you where unhappy with how yours performed on the dyno?
Post #1015338 16th Nov 2023 4:34pm
LJMARSDEN

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Java Black
I made the point about the older AJ motors in another thread. I think people do not consider them because of a couple reasons; They're a JLR product so they have "JLR problems" (Not strictly true), and so they're going to be relatively expensive as well as this there is very little aftermarket support for standalone scenarios and again little knowledge and experience of having them running with the standard ECU outside of the vehicle they left.

I'm frustrated by all this as if things were the other way us in the UK could add a local V8 to the list of quality engines we can throw into our cars. Don't know about you but I'm bored of seeing BMW swaps all the time lol. Luke Marsden

06 V8 1UZFE Defender 90

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/defender__v8/
Post #1015343 16th Nov 2023 5:03pm
Linds Hanson

United Kingdom 
I just dont get the fondness for the Rover V8 it was in its best form as a 3.9 but the large capcities even with forced induction are ridiculously expensive for their output, unreliable and grossly inefficent. I have built 90's in the last thirty years with every variety of RV8 from standard 3.9,4.2 and 4.6 to supercharged 5.0 and 5.2 John Eales/ Dennis Pridle versions which cost £20k for a turn key engine over 20 years ago. I know some people are still fixated on the good ole British V8 from the 70's that was used in everything from a Cortina to a Bedford CF but its never been truely happy at anything above its original 3.5 capacity. The LS which like the RV8 is also a GM engine is superior in all aspects as you would expect of a design which has had serious investment over many years from a global manufacturer. It is much more efficent both in power and fuel economy than any version of the RV8 in a package much the same size and weight at a fraction of the cost of a properly built previously used large capacity RV8. The LT engines offer even better fuel and power. As for the popularity of BMW diesel engines there's a good reason for that, they are cheap offer power and torque a RV8 can only dream of and better fuel economy than any Land Rover offering.

Last edited by Linds Hanson on 16th Nov 2023 6:16pm. Edited 3 times in total
Post #1015351 16th Nov 2023 6:05pm
LJMARSDEN

Agreed, I don't get it with the old push rod rover V8s. Yeah, I'm not denying the M57's performance. Luke Marsden

06 V8 1UZFE Defender 90

Post #1015352 16th Nov 2023 6:13pm
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
Linds Hanson wrote:
I just dont get the fondness for the Rover V8 it was in its best form as a 3.9 but the large capcities even with forced induction are ridiculously expensive for their output, unreliable and grossly inefficent. I have built 90's in the last thirty years with every variety of RV8 from standard 3.9,4.2 and 4.6 to supercharged 5.0 and 5.2 John Eales/ Dennis Pridle versions which cost £20k for a turn key engine over 20 years ago. I know some people are still fixated on the good ole British V8 from the 70's that was used in everything from a Cortina to a Bedford CF but its never been truely happy at anything above its original 3.5 capacity. The LS which like the RV8 is also a GM engine is superior in all aspects as you would expect of a design which has had serious investment over many years from a global manufacturer. It is much more efficent both in power and fuel economy than any version of the RV8 in a package much the same size and weight at a fraction of the cost of a properly built previously used large capacity RV8. The LT engines offer even better fuel and power. As for the popularity of BMW diesel engines there's a good reason for that, they are cheap offer power and torque a RV8 can only dream of and better fuel economy than any Land Rover offering.

I like the RV8, I have a 4.6 Range Rover and a 3.9 TR7. They are a good powerplant for 200-250hp. But if you want more, then I agree, there are better options.

If you already have an RV8, then upgrading it to 200-250hp is pretty easy and cheap in the UK. And they do make a good noise. But if doing a major engine conversion I would also agree and look elsewhere.

So overall I think the RV8 still has a place. It just depends on your starting point and goals. A 5.2 fully built one is not where I'd be spending my money however.
Post #1015356 16th Nov 2023 6:46pm
Shroppy

United Kingdom 1986 Defender 130 V8 Petrol HCPU Aintree Green
I don't doubt that the AJ-V8s have their merits, but the lack of aftermarket/standalone support is off putting. Whilst I like a challenge, I'd like to complete the vehicle this decade and so the relative simplicity of an LS3/LT1 package is appealing.

I have emailed Kolby at Turnkey for a price on the LT1/8L90E package. 1985 127 V8 Build Thread
Series 2 109"
Series 1 80"
Post #1015360 16th Nov 2023 7:16pm
LJMARSDEN

Oooo, getting exciting Thumbs Up Luke Marsden

06 V8 1UZFE Defender 90

Post #1015379 16th Nov 2023 11:16pm
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
Shroppy wrote:
I don't doubt that the AJ-V8s have their merits, but the lack of aftermarket/standalone support is off putting. Whilst I like a challenge, I'd like to complete the vehicle this decade and so the relative simplicity of an LS3/LT1 package is appealing.

I have emailed Kolby at Turnkey for a price on the LT1/8L90E package.

You might at least "check out" the LSA, it really is a sensational engine, docile as a kitten, Granny could "drive it to Church on Sunday", but, "put the pedal to the metal", & it's a whole different world, the supercharger makes a massive difference,....try one & see,....and don't forget, it's a "factory" crate engine, so you still get warranty & all the other benefits of a factory engine!
We have many LS1,LS3, LSA powered cars in Aus, courtesy of Holden & their performance road car arm H.S.V. (Holden Special Vehicles). The LS1 & LS3 were used in various vehicles for many years, there are heaps of them on the road. but when the LSA became available at 430KW. initially in HSV's GTS, it really was a world of difference in performance, as you would discover were you to sample one!
Regards, Pickles.
Post #1015490 17th Nov 2023 10:34pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Ah Pickles, I'm sure someone one day will build your LSA Defender project!! Thumbs Up James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #1015506 18th Nov 2023 10:47am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12